1991 Rugby World Cup qualifying
For the 1991 Rugby World Cup, 16 nations participated in the finals tournament, half of which came through qualifying matches, and the other were granted automatic entry as they were quarter-finalists at the 1987 Rugby World Cup. The 25 teams taking part in regional qualifiers together with the 8 teams which qualified automatically brings to 33 the total number of teams participating in the 1991 Rugby World Cup.
The five tournament hosts, as well as all quarter-finalists from the previous (1987) Rugby World Cup, automatically qualified for the final tournament.
- England (quarter-finalist and host)
- Fiji (quarter-finalist)
- Ireland (quarter-finalist and host)
- Scotland (quarter-finalist and host)
- Australia (semi-finalist)
- Wales (semi-finalist and host)
- France (finalist and host)
- New Zealand (champions)
- Zimbabwe (Africa 1)