1998 NFL Draft
|Date(s)||April 18–19, 1998|
Theatre at MSG|
in New York City, NY
|TV coverage (US)||ESPN|
|241 total selections in 7 rounds|
Peyton Manning, QB|
Cam Quayle, TE|
|Most selections (12)||New York Jets|
|Fewest selections (5)||Detroit Lions|
|Hall of Famers||1|
The 1998 NFL draft was the procedure by which National Football League teams selected amateur college football players. It is officially known as the NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting. The draft was held April 18–19, 1998, at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York. The league also held a supplemental draft after the regular draft and before the regular season.
Before the draft, there was a debate on whether the Indianapolis Colts should select Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf with the first overall pick (both were considered excellent prospects and future franchise quarterbacks). Leaf was considered to have more upside and a stronger throwing arm, while Manning was considered a prospect who was NFL ready and more mature. On the day of the draft, the Colts selected Manning due to Leaf's disdain for Indianapolis. Manning went on to be a five-time Most Valuable Player award winner, the most of any player in NFL history, and a two-time Super Bowl champion, whereas Leaf was out of the NFL by 2002 and is considered one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history.
- Players are identified as a Pro Bowler if they were selected for the Pro Bowl at any time in their career.
A supplemental draft was held in the summer of 1998. For each player selected in the supplemental draft, the team forfeits its pick in that round in the draft of the following season. The Green Bay Packers and San Diego Chargers both selected players in the 2nd round.
|Rnd.||Pick #||NFL team||Player||Pos.||College||Conf.||Notes|
|2||-||Green Bay Packers||Mike Wahle †||G||Navy||Ind. (I-A)|
|2||-||San Diego Chargers||Jamal Williams †||DT||Oklahoma State||Big 12|
Notable undrafted players
|†||= Pro Bowler[N 1]|
Hall of Famers
- Cite error: The named reference
Pro Bowler notewas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "NFL Draft Locations". FootballGeography.com. October 2, 2014. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- Salomone, Dan (October 2, 2014). "NFL Draft headed to Chicago in 2015". Giants.com. New York Giants. Archived from the original on 2015-09-30. Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- "Peyton Manning Stats - Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com.
- "Colts Wanted Ryan Leaf Over Peyton Manning In 1998 NFL Draft". Sportsgrid.com. 2014-01-21. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- Players are identified as a Hall of Famer if they have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.