Luoyang Christmas fire
|Date||December 25, 2000|
|Cause||Welding accident |
A fire, triggered by sparks from welding at the Dongdu building broke out in the basement at 9:35 p.m. local time, trapping construction workers on the second and third floors. It was extinguished by 12:45 a.m Tuesday. Some 800 police officers and firefighters and 26 fire engines rushed to the scene after receiving the call.
A total of 309 people were killed in the fire: 174 females and 135 males. Among the dead were construction workers working on the second and third floors and nightclub patrons who were attending a gala celebration for Christmas Day at a dancing hall on the fourth floor.
An emergency meeting was held early Tuesday morning in the province and in the afternoon, Shi Wanpeng, vice-minister of the State Economic and Trade Commission, also arrived in Luoyang. To prevent similar accidents, the Ministry of Public Security released an urgent circular, asking local governments to spare no efforts to ensure safety during the New Year's Day and the Spring Festival holidays.
- "Arrests after Chinese club fire". BBC News. 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- "Blaze in Chinese dance club kills 44". International Herald Tribune. Archived from the original on September 24, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-27.
- "Christmas Day blaze kills at least 309 in central China". ABC News. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Big Fire in Luoyang Cleaned Up, 309 Suffocate". People's Daily. 2000-12-27. Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- "China tries 23 over Christmas disco blaze". CNN. 2001-08-13.