2014–15 Volvo Ocean Race
The 2014–15 Volvo Ocean Race is the 12th edition of the round-the-world Volvo Ocean Race. It started on 19 October 2014 in Alicante, Spain, and concluded in June 2015 in Gothenburg, Sweden. After 38,739 nautical miles of ocean racing, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing led by skipper Ian Walker claimed the overall trophy.
For the first time, the race is a one-design event. The Volvo Ocean 65 was designed by Farr Yacht Design in response to concerns about safety and cost. The Volvo Ocean Race ensures a minimum of eight boats are built.
The aim is to reduce participation cost to around 15 million euros per entry.
Seven teams are participating in this edition of the Volvo Ocean Race. One of them, Team SCA, is a women-only team.
|Team||Flag and Sail||Skipper|
|Team SCA||SWE 1929||Samantha Davies|
|Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing||UAE 2||Ian Walker|
|Dongfeng Race Team||CHN 1969||Charles Caudrelier|
|Team Brunel||NED 1||Bouwe Bekking|
|Team Alvimedica||USA 4||Charlie Enright|
|Mapfre||ESP 1||Iker Martinez|
|Team Vestas Wind||Chris Nicholson|
|United Arab Emirates||1|
|Event||Start date||Finish date||Start||Finish||Distance|
|In-Port Race||4 October 2014||Alicante|
|Leg 1||11 October 2014||5 November 2014||Alicante||Cape Town||6,487 nm|
|In-Port Race||15 November 2014||Cape Town|
|Leg 2||19 November 2014||13 December 2014||Cape Town||Abu Dhabi||5,185 nm|
|In-Port Race||2 January 2015||Abu Dhabi|
|Leg 3||3 January 2015||27 January 2015||Abu Dhabi||Sanya||4,642 nm|
|In-Port Race||7 February 2015||Sanya|
|Leg 4||8 February 2015||28 February 2015||Sanya||Auckland||5,264 nm|
|In-Port Race||14 March 2015||Auckland|
|Leg 5||18 March 20151||5 April 2015||Auckland||Itajaí||6,776 nm|
|In-Port Race||18 April 2015||Itajaí|
|Leg 6||19 April 2015||7 May 2015||Itajaí||Newport||5,010 nm|
|In-Port Race||16 May 2015||Newport|
|Leg 7||17 May 2015||27 May 2015||Newport||Lisbon||2,800 nm|
|In-Port Race||6 June 2015||Lisbon|
|Leg 8||7 June 2015||11 June 2015||Lisbon||Lorient||647 nm|
|In-Port Race||14 June 2015||Lorient|
|Leg 9||17 June 2015||22 June 2015||Lorient||Gothenburg||960 nm|
|In-Port Race||27 June 2015||Gothenburg|
Notes (157 sailing days for race winners and 10 In-port racing days):
Results and standings
The point standings are done via low points. The winner of each leg/in-port race will receive 1 point, runner up will receive 2 points, and so on down to the final finisher who will receive 7 points. Failure to finish a leg is counted as 8 points. The overall winner will be the one the lowest number of leg points, with the in-port points being used for tie-breaking.
|Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing||1||3||2||2||1||2||5||3||5||24|
|Dongfeng Race Team||2||2||1||3||DNF2||1||4||7||4||15||33|
|Team Vestas Wind||4||DNF1||DNS||DNS||DNS||DNS||DNS||2||6||60|
- ^1 - Team Vestas Wind was grounded on the Cargados Carajos Shoals near Mauritius. They re-joined the race for leg 8.
- ^2 - Dongfeng suffered a broken mast near Cape Horn and had to abandon leg 5.
- ^3 - Team Alvimedica finished leg 2 in fifth place, but were awarded 1 point redress for standing by the grounded Team Vestas Wind
- ^4 - MAPFRE finished leg 5 in second position, but were given two points penalty for rules breaches.
- ^5 - MAPFRE and Dongfeng (1 point each) and SCA (2 points) were handed penalty points after leg 7 for infringing sailing rules.
- All-women's team first to enter 2014-15 Race volvooceanrace.com, 21 August 2012
- Volvo Ocean Race due to start from Alicante in 2014 to feature all-female crew thetelegraph.co.uk, 20 August 2012
- "Meet the teams". volvooceanrace.com. Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- The Team
- Meet The Squad
- Sailing Team
- Sailing Team
- Meet the Team
- "The start is on!". volvooceanrace.com. 2015-03-16.
- "Keeping score". volvooceanrace.com. Retrieved 2015-06-28.
- "Back in the race". volvooceanrace.com. 2015-01-28.
- "Time to call it quits". volvooceanrace.com. 2015-03-31.
- "Time to redress". volvooceanrace.com. 2014-12-30.
- "The jury decides". volvooceanrace.com. 2015-04-17.
- "Penalty point pain". volvooceanrace.com. 2015-06-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014–15 Volvo Ocean Race.|
- Volvo Ocean Race – Official site
- Dongfeng Team Page
- SCA Team Page
- Alvimedica Team Page
- MAPFRE Team Page
- Vestas Wind Team Page
- Brunel Team Page
- Abu Dhabi Team Page