2014 Man Booker Prize
The 2014 Man Booker Prize for fiction was awarded at a ceremony on 14 October 2014. Until 2014, only novels written in English and from authors in the Commonwealth, including the UK, the Republic of Ireland and Zimbabwe were eligible for consideration; however from 2014 rules were changed to extend eligibility to any novel written in English. It is therefore the first time in the award's history that authors from the United States of America have been included.
A longlist of thirteen titles was announced on 23 July 2014.
|Joshua Ferris||To Rise Again at a Decent Hour||Novel||United States||Viking Press|
|Richard Flanagan||The Narrow Road to the Deep North||Historical novel||Australia||Chatto & Windus|
|Karen Joy Fowler||We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves||Novel||United States||Serpent's Tale|
|Siri Hustvedt||The Blazing World||Novel||United States||Sceptre Press|
|Howard Jacobson||J||Novel||United Kingdom||Jonathan Cape|
|Paul Kingsnorth||The Wake||Historical novel||United Kingdom||Unbound|
|David Mitchell||The Bone Clocks||Novel||United Kingdom||Sceptre Press|
|Neel Mukherjee||The Lives of Others||Novel||United Kingdom||Chatto and Windus|
|David Nicholls||Us||Novel||United Kingdom||Hodder and Stoughton|
|Joseph O'Neill||The Dog||Novel||Ireland||Fourth Estate|
|Richard Powers||Orfeo||Novel||United States||Atlantic Books|
|Ali Smith||How to Be Both||Historical novel||United Kingdom||Hamish Hamilton|
|Niall Williams||History of the Rain||Novel||Ireland||Bloomsbury|
The shortlist of six novels was announced on 9 September 2014. It was composed of:
|Joshua Ferris||To Rise Again at a Decent Hour|
|Richard Flanagan||The Narrow Road to the Deep North|
|Karen Joy Fowler||We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves|
|Neel Mukherjee||The Lives of Others|
|Ali Smith||How to Be Both|
On 14 October, chair judge A. C. Grayling announced that Australian author Richard Flanagan had won the 2014 Man Booker Prize for his book The Narrow Road to the Deep North. The judges spent three hours deliberating before announcing the winner. Grayling described the historical novel as a "remarkable love story as well as a story about human suffering and comradeship".
- "'A surprise and a risk': Reaction to Booker Prize upheaval". BBC News. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Benhold, Katrin; Alter, Alexandra (23 July 2014). "In First, Americans Are Nominated for Booker Prize". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Richard Flanagan wins Man Booker prize with 'timeless depiction of war'". Guardian. 15 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Booker Prize: Commonwealth authors edged out". BBC News. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Man Booker Prize: Howard Jacobson makes shortlist". BBC News. 9 September 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Richard Flanagan wins Man Booker Prize for The Narrow Road to the Deep North". Daily Telegraph. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Masters, Tim (14 October 2014). "Man Booker Prize: Richard Flanagan wins for wartime love story". BBC News. Retrieved 15 October 2014.