2015 North Kalimantan gubernatorial election
Results by regency/city. Regencies/cities won by Irianto Lambrie are in red (■), while the ones won by [Jusuf Serang Kasim are in blue (■). Lighter shades (■ or ■) indicate a winning majority of less than 5%.
A gubernatorial election was held across the province of North Kalimantan on 8 December 2015, to elect the province's governor for the 2016-2021 five-year term. There were two pairs contesting the election, and Irianto Lambrie who had previously taken a temporary post as the province's governor defeated former Tarakan mayor Jusuf Serang Kasim.
The election was first to be held in North Kalimantan, which is Indonesia's youngest province. Following the voting, riots occurred in the provincial capital of Tanjung Selor protesting the results.
In October 2012, North Kalimantan was carved out of the northern regencies and cities of East Kalimantan province. It became Indonesia's 34th and youngest province. The Ministry of Home Affairs initially handled the administration of the province, before appointing East Kalimantan's provincial secretary Irianto Lambrie as acting governor on April 2013. His term lasted for two one-year terms, before the ministry replaced him on 22 April 2015 with Triyono Budi Sasongko.
Registration for candidates backed by political parties were opened between 26–28 July 2015, with independent contestants registering in June. After a series of verifications and checks, the eligible candidates were announced on 24 August with their ballot numbers assigned the following day. The campaigning period officially ran between 27 August and 5 December. Following a 3-day election silence, voting was held on 9 December. Votes are recapitulated up across administrative divisions and the results were to be announced on 21 December 2015, although exact dates may vary.
There were over 430,000 eligible voters who voted in 612 polling stations across the province. Due to the sheer size of the province and sparse population, ballot boxes and other election-related logistics had to be delivered by plane and speedboats. In total, the election required a budget of Rp 96 billion (USD 6.9 million).
|#||Candidate||Most recent position||Running mate||Parties|
|1||Jusuf Serang Kasim||Mayor of Tarakan (1999-2009)||Marthin Billa||Hanura|
|2||Irianto Lambrie||Acting governor of North Kalimantan (2013-2015)||Udin Hianggio||PDI-P|
|Votes by subdivision[a]||Jusuf-Marthin||Irianto-Udin|
|Tana Tidung Regency||5,639||49.43||5,770||50.57|
Early quick count results by Indikator favored the Irianto-Udin pair. During a plenary vote-tallying meeting on 19 December, supporters of the Jusuf-Marthin pair rioted in Tanjung Selor, burning cars and buildings in the gubernatorial complex and forcing the deployment of soldiers. Following the riots, vice governor candidate Marthin Billa was arrested on suspicion of organizing them although he was not jailed and was only required to report weekly.
- Official results prior to final recapitulation. Final results differed by around 300 votes.
- Aritonang, Margareth S. (27 October 2012). "North Kalimantan becomes 34th province". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Sekprov Kaltim Irianto Lambrie Jabat Pj Gubernur Kaltara". Tribunnews (in Indonesian). 21 April 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- Arfan, Muhammad (22 April 2015). "Triyono Budi Sasongko Gantikan Irianto Lambrie Jadi Pj Gubernur Kaltara". Tribun Kaltim (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Ini Tahapan Penting Pilkada 2015". Detik (in Indonesian). 8 May 2015. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- Arfan, Muhammad (25 August 2015). "Jusuf-Marthin Nomor Urut 1, Irianto-Udin Nomor Urut 2". Tribun Kaltim (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Pilkada Kaltara, Pemilih Bertambah 2.992 Orang". Prokal News (in Indonesian). 31 October 2015. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- Wibisono, S. G. (5 December 2015). "KPU Sulit Distribusikan Logistik Pilkada Kalimantan Utara". Tempo (in Indonesian). Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Pilkada Provinsi Kalimantan Utara" (in Indonesian). General Elections Commission. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Hasil Hitung TPS (Form C1) Provinsi Kalimantan Utara". Komisi Pemilihan Umum. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Pratomo, Yulistyo (9 December 2015). "Hasil quick count Indikator: Paslon Irianto-Udin menang di Kaltara". Merdeka (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Firdaus, Randy Ferdi (19 December 2015). "Ricuh Pilkada Kaltara, mobil gubernur dan petugas KPU ikut dibakar". Merdeka (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Gunawan, Abelda (23 December 2015). "Calon Wagub Kaltara Jadi Tersangka Pembakaran Kantor Gubernur". liputan6 (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Sidik, Ahmad (20 January 2016). "Marthin Billa, Otak Pelaku Kerusuhan di Kantor Gubernur Kaltara Hanya Tahanan Kota - Tribunnews.com". Tribunnews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Khabibi, Ikhwanul (25 January 2016). "Tok! MK Tolak Gugatan Sengketa Pilgub Kalimantan Utara". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Dilantik Jokowi, Gubernur Ini Gunakan Seragam Lama". Tribun Kaltim (in Indonesian). 12 February 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2018.