Great Indonesia Movement Party
|General Chairman||Prabowo Subianto|
|Founded||6 February 2008|
|Youth wing||TIDAR (Great Indonesia Bud)|
|Women's wing||PIRA (Great Indonesia Women)|
|Muslim wing||GEMIRA (Great Indonesia Muslim Movement)|
|Christian wing||GEKIRA (Great Indonesia Christian Movement)|
|Hindu-Buddhist wing||GEMA SADHANA (Sanathana Dharma Nusantara Society Movement)|
73 / 560
|Provincial DPRD seats|
241 / 2,147
The Great Indonesia Movement Party (Indonesian: Partai Gerakan Indonesia Raya, Gerindra) is a political party in Indonesia. In the 2014 presidential election, the party was represented by former Indonesian Army Strategic Reserve Command and Indonesian special forces commander Lieutenant General Prabowo Subianto. Prabowo lost to Joko Widodo in the election, earning 46.85% of the vote to Widodo's 53.15%.
Prabowo resigned from the Golkar Party in July 2008, with provincial level election teams formed in February 2009. The party then claimed a membership of approximately 15 million, with its support base coming from across Java, Sumatra, Kalimantan and Sulawesi. The party was suggested by Prabowo's younger brother, Hashim Djojohadikusumo, who helped pay for Gerindra's prime-time TV advertising campaign.
In the national legislative election on 9 April 2014, the party's vote share jumped to 11.8% (from 4.5% in 2009), making it the third most popular party in Indonesia. Furthermore, Gerindra almost tripled the number of seats it won from 26 seats in 2009 to 73 seats in 2014.
Prabowo lost Golkar's presidential convention on 21 April 2004. He then sat as advisory board member of Golkar until 12 July 2008, a few months after he formed GERINDRA on 6 February 2008. Prabowo sits as founding board chairman since then. Since 20 September 2014, following the in-office death of Suhardi, the previous general chairman, Prabowo also sits as replacement of the deceased.
GERINDRA has many wing organizations. Some of them are:
- TIDAR (Tunas Indonesia Raya, Great Indonesia Bud)
- PIRA (Perempuan Indonesia Raya, Great Indonesia Woman)
- GEMIRA (Gerakan Muslim Indonesia Raya, Great Indonesia Muslim Movement)
- GEKIRA (Gerakan Kristiani Indonesia Raya, Great Indonesia Christian Movement); formerly named KIRA (Kristen Indonesia Raya, Great Indonesia Christians).
- GEMA SADHANA (Gerakan Masyarakat Sanathana Dharma Nusantara, Sanathana Dharma Nusantara Society Movement); for Hindus and Buddhists.
- PETIR (Persatuan Tionghoa Indonesia Raya, Great Indonesia Chinese Association)
Legislative election results
|Election||Ballot number||Total seats won||Total votes||Share of votes||Outcome of election||Party leader|
26 / 560
|4,642,795||4.46%||26 seats, Opposition||Prabowo Subianto (Founding board chair)|
Suhardi (General chair)
73 / 560
|14,760,371||11.81%||47 seats, Opposition||Prabowo Subianto (Founding board chair)|
Suhardi (General chair)
Presidential election results
|Election||Ballot number||Pres. candidate||Running mate||1st round
|Share of votes||Outcome||2nd round
|Share of votes||Outcome|
|2009||1||Megawati Sukarnoputri||Prabowo Subianto||32,548,105||26.79%||Lost N|
|2014||1||Prabowo Subianto||Hatta Rajasa||62,576,444||46.85%||Lost N|
|2019||02||Prabowo Subianto||Sandiaga Uno||TBD||TBD||TBD|
Note: Bold text suggests the party's member, or a former member who was still active in the party by the time of his nomination.
- Bourchier, David (2014). Illiberal Democracy in Indonesia. Routledge. p. 255.
- Kaltwasser, Cristóbal Rovira (2017). The Oxford Handbook of Populism. Oxford University Press.
- Jakarta: "Jumlah Kursi & Fraksi DPRD DKI Jakarta Periode 2014-2019" (in Indonesian). DPRD DKI Jakarta.
North Kalimantan: "Seluruh Parpol Kebagian Kursi di DPRD Kaltara". JPNN (in Indonesian). 29 April 2014.
All others: "Data Perolehan Kursi DPRD Kabupaten Kota" (in Indonesian). University of Indonesia.
- "Current Data on the Indonesian Military Elite: 1 Jan 1998 - 31 Jan 1999". JSTOR 3351380.
- "Prabowo nominated as presidential candidate by Gerindra Party". Jakarta Post. 14 July 2008. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016.
- "Indonesia's dark-horse candidate". Asia Times Online. Mar 31, 2009.
- "KPU Ubah Perolehan Kursi Parpol di DPR (KPU Changes Allocations of Parties' seats in the DPR)". Indonesian General Election Commission (in Indonesian). 14 May 2009. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014.
- "KPU Successfully Set and Authorize Pileg Results On Time". indonesiaelectionportal.org. May 10, 2014.
- "Bab V - Hasil Pemilu - KPU" (PDF) (in Indonesian). Komisi Pemilihan Umum Republik Indonesia. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "KPU sahkan hasil pemilu, PDIP nomor satu" (in Indonesian). BBC. 10 May 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- Wardah, Fathiyah (19 May 2014). "6 Parpol Dukung Pasangan Prabowo-Hatta dalam Pilpres". Voice of America Indonesia (in Indonesian). Retrieved 1 August 2018.