Match programme cover
|Date||14 August 2016|
|Venue||Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund|
|Man of the Match||Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich)|
|Referee||Tobias Welz (Wiesbaden)|
19 °C (66 °F)
The 2016 DFL-Supercup was the seventh edition of the German Super Cup under the name DFL-Supercup, an annual football match contested by the winners of the previous season's Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal competitions. The match was played on 14 August 2016 at the Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund.
It featured Bayern Munich, the winners of the 2015–16 Bundesliga (and the 2015–16 DFB-Pokal), who had lost the three previous super cups and last won in 2012, and 2015–16 Bundesliga runners-up Borussia Dortmund, who last won in 2014. Dortmund qualified as league runners-up by virtue of Bayern winning the league and cup double.
Bayern Munich won the DFL-Supercup 2–0 for their fifth title.
In the following table, matches until 1996 were in the DFB-Supercup era, since 2010 were in the DFL-Supercup era.
|Team||Qualification||Previous appearances (bold indicates winners)|
|Borussia Dortmund||2015–16 Bundesliga runners-up||7 (1989, 1995, 1996, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)|
|Bayern Munich||2015–16 Bundesliga champions and 2015–16 DFB-Pokal winners||9 (1987, 1989, 1990, 1994, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)|
It was Dortmund's eighth DFL-Supercup, with a record of five wins and two losses prior. It was Bayern's fifth consecutive and tenth overall DFL-Supercup, with a record of four wins and five losses prior. This was the fifth DFL-Supercup between Dortmund and Bayern, having previously met in 1989, 2012, 2013, and 2014. Of these, Dortmund have won three (in 1989, 2013, and 2014), while Bayern have won once (2012).
Arturo Vidal scored the opening goal for Bayern Munich in the 58th minute with a low right foot finish from six yards out after his initial shot from just outside the penalty box was parried by goalkeeper Roman Bürki back into his path. Thomas Müller got the second in the 79th minute with a close range finish from inside the six yard box after a knock down header from Mats Hummels following a corner.
|Borussia Dortmund||0–2||Bayern Munich|
|Statistic||Borussia Dortmund||Bayern Munich|
|Shots on target||5||5|
- "Bayern best Dortmund to claim Supercup". Bundesliga. Deutsche Fußball Liga. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Supercup: Welz pfeift BVB gegen Bayern" [Supercup: Welz officiates BVB vs Bayern]. dfb.de (in German). German Football Association. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "Deutscher Supercup, 2016, Finale" [German Supercup, 2016, Final]. dfb.de (in German). German Football Association. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Weather History for Dortmund, Germany". Weather Underground. The Weather Company. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Rahmenterminkalender 2016/17" [Season Calendar 2016–17]. dfb.de (in German). Deutsche Fußball Liga. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "Bayern Munich 2-0 Borussia Dortmund: Carlo Ancelotti wins first German trophy". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "(West) Germany - List of Super/League Cup Finals". RSSSF.com. Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "Pep Guardiola to leave Bayern Munich at end of the season". BBC Sport. BBC. 20 December 2015. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Borussia Dortmund 0-2 Bayern Munich". Goal.com. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Borussia Dortmund 0-2 Bayern Munich: Carlo Ancelotti era begins with Supercup win thanks to goals from Arturo Vidal and Thomas Muller". Daily Mail. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Ligaverband: Ligastatut" [League Association: League Regulations] (PDF). DFB.de (in German). German Football Association. p. 241. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich - Football Match Stats - August 14, 2016". ESPN FC. ESPN Inc. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2017.