2021 Somaliland parliamentary election
82 seats in the House of Representatives of Somaliland
42 seats needed for a majority
The elections have been tentatively scheduled and postponed numerous times since the last parliamentary polls in 2005. Most recently, the vote was scheduled for March, and then August, 2019, before the National Electoral Commission declared it could not be held that year.
On 12 July 2020, Somaliland's three main political parties reached an agreement to hold parliamentary and local elections by the end of the year. After several weeks of negotiations with the National Electoral Commission on the practicability of organizing elections in that time, a revised date of May 2021 was settled upon.
Number of voters
One million and three thousand people have registered to vote in Somaliland's parliamentary and local elections. 900 candidates are vying for less than 400 seats.
- Admin (2021-01-16). "Somaliland National Electoral Commission to Slate Election Schedule". The Republic of Somaliland. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "Somaliland: Major Election Stakeholders Concur on May 2021 Polls". Somaliland Sun. 26 August 2020. Retrieved 17 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Walls, Michael; Pegg, Scott. "Analysis | Somaliland votes next week. Its biggest challenges come after the election". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "Parliamentary election may be delayed more than a year in Somaliland". 15 August 2019.
- "Somaliland's political parties agreement - Somalia". ReliefWeb. Retrieved 2020-07-22.
- "Somaliland: Political Parties Order NEC to Prepare a Late 2020 Election Schedule within a Fortnight". Somaliland Sun. 12 July 2020. Retrieved 17 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Major stakeholders unable to reach a truce on Somaliland's election date". Somaliland.com. 15 August 2020. Retrieved 17 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Somaliland political parties strike deal with Electoral Commission over elections". Garowe Online. 24 August 2020. Retrieved 17 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)