4DX is a 4D film format developed by CJ 4DPlex, a subsidiary of South Korean cinema chain CJ CGV. It allows films to be augmented with various practical effects, including motion seats, wind, strobe lights, simulated snow, and scents. First introduced commercially in 2009, it presents films in both 3D and traditional 2D formats.
CJ has licensed the technology worldwide. As of September 2019[update], CJ 4DPlex operates 678 4DX theaters in 65 countries through partnerships with more than 80 cinemas, including Wanda Cinemas, Cineworld, and Cinepolis. The company recorded an annual growth rate of more than 50 percent from 2013 to 2018.
In June 2011, Mexico-based Cinépolis have invested $25 million and made an agreement with the CJ Group to bring the 4DX technology to its 11 locations in the country, with the first opening in a theater in Mexico City. It marked the technology's debut in the Americas and outside the Asia region, and the technology expanded throughout Mexico since its debut. In 2019, the company announced that they would install the "4DX Screen" theater, a theater with an expanded multi-sided screen with the 4DX theaters, in the country in the summer season of 2020.
At CinemaCon in March 2014, CJ 4DPlex announced that it had reached an agreement with AEG and Regal Cinemas to introduce the country's first 4DX auditorium at Regal Cinemas L.A. Live in downtown Los Angeles. By 2017, nine screens were in operation across the country, consisting primarily of six Regal locations, one Marcus Theatres location, two U.S. Cinépolis locations, and CGV's second U.S. location at The Source OC in Buena Park. In 2018, CJ and Regal's new parent company Cineworld announced that it planned to expand 4DX to at least 79 Regal locations.
Since opening its first theater in partnership with Korona World Cinemas in April 2013, the theater chain has seen an increase in the installation of 4DX theaters. It operates 4DX theaters nationwide in partnership with large theater chains such as Aeon Cinemas and United Cinemas.
In 2017, CJ 4DPLEX partnered with France's Pathe and Norway's Nordisk Film Kino to open its first 4DX theater in Europe. It quickened its expansion in Europe by signing partnerships with Austrian theater operator Hollywood Megaplex in February 2019.
CJ 4DPLEX started integrating 4DX within the Chinese market in cooperation with its parent company CJ CGV in 2006. In 2013, it signed contracts with UME, a local theater operator in China. In 2014, CJ 4DPLEX made partnerships with Woosang More, WoMai, Beijing Jinbo, and Golden Harvest. In December 2014, CJ 4DPLEX formed a partnership with Wanda Cinema, a Chinese theater operator.
At CinemaCon 2019, 4DX signed a contract with Australian theater operator Village Cinemas to open a 4DX theater within a year. It was the first time that the company entered Oceania; 4DX already had theaters in five other continents.
Box office performance
In August 2019, 4DX reached 2.7 million moviegoers. The top three performing films for 4DX in August were Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, The Lion King, and Aladdin. The local films The Bravest and One Piece: Stampede performed well in China and Japan.
- Avengers: Endgame ($34,705K)
- Aladdin ($24,759K)
- Aquaman ($21,301K)
- The Lion King ($16,841K)
- Captain Marvel ($14,133K)
In 2018, the company attracted a cumulative 24 million viewers a year, recording $290 million in box office revenue. In July 2019, the company attracted 3.07 million viewers and $38 million in ticket sales globally.
The 4DX Screen technology (formerly 4DX with Screen X) combines the multi-screen projection, known as ScreenX, and the motion seats in a singular theater. It was first introduced in 2018 and made its debut in CinemaCon 2018.
- 2014: 4DX won the I3DS (International 3D and Advanced Imaging Society) "Cinema Innovation of the Year" award.
- 2015: 4DX won the Edison Awards, Silver Prize for Media and Visual Communication Entertainment Category.
- 2017: 4DX was chosen as one of the "The Most Innovative Companies of 2017" for the Live Events Category by the magazine Fast Company.
- 2018: 4DX and ScreenX won the Edison Awards, Silver Prize for Media and Visual Communication Entertainment Category.
- 2018: 4DX won the "Innovation Technology of the Year Award" at Big Cine Expo.
- 2019: 4DX and ScreenX won the iResearch Award, Originative Cinema Technology Category.
- 2019: 4DX was chosen as one of the "The Most Innovative Companies of 2019" for the Live Events Category by Fast Company.
- Sharp, Jasper (21 June 2012). "4DX: Here come the feelies". Sight & Sound magazine. British Film Institute. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Foster2019-09-24T12:10:00+01:00, Alana. "CJ leads next-gen cinema experiences with 4DX". IBC. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- Sunhee, Han (5 February 2010). "'Avatar' goes 4D in Korea | Variety". Variety. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- García Sánchez, Rubén (2 June 2011). "Cinépolis presenta sus salas más costosas". El Economista. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Cinépolis to be the First to Bring the Innovative and Award-Winning '4DX with ScreenX' Format to LATAM". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association LLC. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "CinemaCon 2014: '4-D' theater coming to Regal Cinemas L.A. Live". Los Angeles Times. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "'Fate of the Furious' Will Open on All 9 4DX Theaters". TheWrap. 14 April 2017. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Korean Theater Chain CGV Opens Second U.S. Multiplex in Buena Park". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (23 April 2018). "CJ 4DPLEX & Cineworld Group Expand Pact To Boost Number Of 4DX Theaters – CinemaCon". Deadline. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Effects you can see, feel and smell at Canada's first 4DX cinema". Toronto Star. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "4DX theatre opens at Chinook Centre". CTV News Calgary. 12 August 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "CGV 4DX, 일본서 '승승장구'..연내 50개 목표". www.fnnews.com (in Korean). 4 March 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "[CGV소식]4DX, 유럽 공략…노르웨이·프랑스 진출". 스타투데이 (in Korean). Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPLEX Expands 4DX Footprint to Austria with Debut at Hollywood Megaplex Gasometer". Celluloid Junkie. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- POP, 헤럴드 (31 August 2015). "CGV 4DX, 中 확장 가속화…완다·따디와 파트너십 체결". pop.heraldcorp.com (in Korean). Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "4DX announces Australian debut through new partnership with Village Cinemas | Film Journal International". web.archive.org. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- CJ 4DPLEX. "4DX Draws Highest August Performance With 2.7 Million Attendees, $32 Million In The Global Box Office". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
- "4DX", 위키백과, 우리 모두의 백과사전 (in Korean), 15 July 2019, retrieved 27 September 2019
- "4DX & ScreenX Off To Promising Second Half In 2019 - Top 10 Films". Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- ""4DX with SCREENX" to Make Worldwide Debut at CinemaCon 2018". BoxOffice Pro. The BoxOffice Company. 21 March 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- 기자, 김정태. "[기업동정]CJ CGV 4DX '올해의 시네마 혁신상' 수상(기업) - NSP통신". (주)NSP뉴스통신사 (in Korean). Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "The World's 50 Most Innovative Companies of 2017". Fast Company. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "Edison Awards™ - Honoring the Best in Innovation and Innovators". www.edisonawards.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- CJ 4DPLEX. ""4DX with ScreenX" Wins Big and Takes Home Silver at the Edison Awards in NYC". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPLEX's 4DX Format Receives 'Innovative Technology of the Year' Award at Big Cine Expo 2018". Boxoffice. 29 August 2018. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- CJ 4DPLEX. ""4DX With ScreenX" Recipient Of Prestigious 2019 iResearch Award For Originative Cinema Technology". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPlex: Most Innovative Company". Fast Company. Retrieved 27 September 2019.