Academy Charter High School
|Academy Charter High School|
|1725 Main Street
Lake Como, NJ 07719
|Superintendent||Mary Jo McKinley (Director)|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||212 (as of 2012-13)|
|District Factor Group||NA|
|Academy Charter High School|
|Type||Charter public high school|
|Faculty||17.5 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||199 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.37:1|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue / Red|
Academy Charter High School is a four-year Charter public high school located in Lake Como, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, that operates independently of the local school district under the terms of a charter granted by the Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Education. The school serves residents of Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Neptune, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Interlaken and Lake Como. Students are accepted at the school on a lottery basis with seats in the incoming freshman class allocated in proportion to the population of each of the participating communities; unfilled seats are then offered to residents of other communities.
Academy Charter High School opened in September 1998. Maximum enrollment authorized by the state is 220 students.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 212 students and 19.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.16:1. There were 80 students (37.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 21 (9.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The Academy Charter High School Panthers plays independently of any conference in play under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 155 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 49 to 476 students in that grade range.
The 2008 boys basketball team won the Central, Group I state sectional championship with a 62-55 win over Asbury Park High School in the tournament final, earning the team's first ever sectional title in their first title game.
- School Data for Academy Charter High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- About ACHS..., Academy Charter High School. Accessed March 12, 2008.
- Academy Charter High School 2014 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 23, 2015. "Academy Charter High School opened in September 1998, as a public, college preparatory high school. The school has a maximum enrollment of 220 students.... Academy Charter High School allocates seats in each grade level based upon the resident student population of each of the following towns: Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Avon, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Interlaken and Lake Como."
- Academy Charter High School, New Jersey Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- 2008 Boys Basketball - Central, Group I, NJSIAA. Accessed March 12, 2008.
- Gold, Ian. "Academy Charter foils Asbury", The Star-Ledger, March 5, 2008. Accessed March 12, 2008. "Academy Charter, which won in its first appearance in a sectional final, avenged a loss to Asbury Park in the semifinals last winter."
- Academy Charter High School
- Academy Charter High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Academy Charter High School, National Center for Education Statistics