Academy Charter High School
|Academy Charter High School|
1725 Main Street|
Lake Como, NJ 07719
|Superintendent||Mary Jo McKinley (Director)|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||183 (as of 2015-16)|
|District Factor Group||NA|
|Academy Charter High School|
|Type||Charter public high school|
Royal Blue and|
Academy Charter High School is a four-year Charter public high school located in Lake Como, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, that operates independently of the local school district under the terms of a charter granted by the Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Education. The school serves residents of Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Neptune, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Interlaken and Lake Como. Students are accepted at the school on a lottery basis with seats in the incoming freshman class allocated in proportion to the population of each of the participating communities; unfilled seats are then offered to residents of other communities.
Academy Charter High School opened in September 1998. Maximum enrollment authorized by the state is 220 students.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 183 students and 16.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.4:1. There were 148 students (80.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 10 (5.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The Academy Charter High School Panthers play independently of any conference in play under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 143 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
The 2008 boys' basketball team won the Central, Group I state sectional championship with a 62-55 win over Asbury Park High School in the tournament final, earning the team's first ever sectional title in their first title game.
- School data for Academy Charter High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Academy Charter High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 16, 2016.
- About Us, Academy Charter High School. Accessed November 19, 2016. "Academy Charter High School is a free public high school for residents of Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Avon, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Interlaken, and Lake Como."
- Academy Charter High School 2014 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 7, 2016. "Academy Charter High School opened in September 1998, as a public, college preparatory high school. The school has a maximum enrollment of 220 students.... Academy Charter High School allocates seats in each grade level based upon the resident student population of each of the following towns: Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Avon, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Interlaken and Lake Como."
- League Memberships – 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- 2008 Boys Basketball - Central, Group I, NJSIAA. Accessed March 12, 2008.
- Gold, Ian. "Academy Charter foils Asbury", The Star-Ledger, March 5, 2008. Accessed March 12, 2008. "Academy Charter, which won in its first appearance in a sectional final, avenged a loss to Asbury Park in the semifinals last winter."