LGA and town
The Orient Colossus
|• Type||Local Government|
|• Federal House of Representative||Honourable Chukwuma Umeoji|
|• Total||195 km2 (75 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,898/km2 (4,920/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
Aguata is a Local Government Area in Anambra state in Nigeria, with its headquarters in Aguata (location of the headquarters office buildings), a major part of which falls into the city of Ekwulobia, while the smallest part falls within Aguluezechukwu. There has been an age-long contention on this issue between the indigenes of Aguluezechukwu and Ekwulobia, with both towns claiming the status of the headquarters on account of ownership claim to the 'Aguata land'. This state of affairs made the Government of Anambra State to officially declare that the headquarters of Aguata Local Government Area should be Aguata (the neuter name of the location in which the headquarters of Aguata Local Government Area Offices are sited) in a bid to settle the conflict. Slogan: The Orient Colossus.
Aguata Local Government Area is home to some international distinguished scientists and academicians, including Prof.Engr. Gamaliel Onyeka Onyemaobi, current President of The University of America. Prof. Shullam Francisca Onyemaobi, vice-president of The University of America and Nigeria's distinguished statesman and academician Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, former governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Air Vice Marshal C. Umenwaliri (Former Minister for Communication FRN), Andy Uba, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife (e Elder statesman and former Governor), His Lordship Rt. Rev. Onuigwe C. Dominic, (Elder Statesman and former Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, Anambra State) Rt, Rev, Emphraim Ikeakor, Bishop of Amichi Diocese. Also from this local government are Chief Titus Anigbogu (Ugwumba Aguata),Chief Anthony Muobike KSC,(Former State Secretary, People's Democratic Party, Anambra State), Chief Dr. Emmanuel Dimike (Osuofia Aguluezechukwu, Osuofia 1 of Aguata, Osuofia Ndi Igbo) Brother Obi Okoli, a heavyweight APGA Chieftain in Anambra, also Chairman Ekwulobia Urban Mass Transport Company, Jolet Oil Nigeria Ltd, Late Chief Joseph N.B. Ofojebe (Omenyiriora Umuona), retired director at Shell Petroleum Development Company Warri and former President General of Umuona etc., and others. Aguata used to be host to the great Federal Polytechnic Oko until recently, when Orumba South and Orumba North were carved out of the Local Government Area. Now Aguata has a new polytechnic and university college-The UA College of Science and Technology Isuofia.
Ekwulobia, the largest town in Aguata, is expanding rapidly to a population of about 100,000 people. It is the major commercial town in the area. Most Nigerian commercial banks maintain their branches there. It also boasts a stadium, a federal prison (part of which falls into Ezinifite), and a major market, Eke Market. Several new agricultural factories established around Ekwulobia town have also attracted workers. Ekwulobia is also a major transit hub from which travellers can connect to other far-flung cities in Nigeria. There are public transport vehicles that run from Ekwulobia daily to Onitsha, Awka, Port Harcourt, Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Abakaliki, etc.
In the area of hospitality business, the town has a few hotels, such as Orthon Palace Hotels, and in recent times, the Chicago Hotel, Vonic Hotel and resort, and Logart Hills Hotel. All these and many other features have made Ekwulobia attractive to visitors.
Ekwulobia People's Assembly is the mother union of all branches of Ekwulobia People's meetings, both at home and abroad, even among the diaspora, with the Lagos branch, which is headed by Nze Lawrence Ezenwa (Ogbuehi Chinaza Oku), being the strongest of all the unions.
The famous 'Awuka' masquerade of Aguluezechukwu and 'Nkpokiti Ije Enu Dance' are noted for their unique dance steps and have won accolades in Anambra State.
Other towns in Aguata L.G.A
Here is the list of secondary schools in Aguata Local Government Area:
- Holy Child Secondary School, Isuofia
- Girls’ Secondary School, Igboukwu
- Community Secondary School, Isuofia
- Aguata High School, Aguata
- Girls’ High School, Uga
- Boys’ Secondary School, Uga
- Community Secondary School, Uga
- Pioneer Secondary School, (GSS) Umuchu
- Community Secondary School, Umuchu
- Umuchu High School, Umuchu
- Government Technical College, Umuchu
- St. Peter’s Secondary School, Achina
- Girls’ Secondary School, Achina
- Community Secondary School, Nkpologwu
- Community Secondary School, Oraeri
- Community Secondary School, Aguluezechukwu
- Community Secondary School, Akpo
- Christ the Redeemer College, Amesi
- Community Secondary School, Igboukwu
- Community Secondary School, (BSS) Ezinifite
- Ezinifite High School, (GSS) Ezinifite
- Urban Girls’ Secondary School, Ekwulobia
- Premier Secondary School, Nkpologwu
- Emmanuel Nursery/Primary School, Nkpologwu
- St. Anthony's Secondary School, Ikenga
- The UA College of Science and Technology Isuofia -the only accredited private polytechnic in the Aguata Local Government Area.
- Adeleke, Dr. Wale. "Brief history of Aguata - Aguata". NaijaSky. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Olanrewaju Oguntoyibo: Chukwuma Soludo and the race to 2014 - The ScoopNG". The ScoopNG. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Ekwulobia | African Culture and Traditional Blog | Page 2". olivernwokedi.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Orthon Palace Hotels Ekwulobia - Ekwulobia, Anambra, Nigeria - Lodging | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- Prince Amaechi Peterkin Okafor (2014-05-02), Aguluezechukwu Ownned Masquerade, retrieved 2016-05-13