|LGA and town|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+1)|
Aguata is a Local Government Area in Anambra state in Nigeria with its headquarters in Aguata (location of the headquarters office buildings) major part of which falls into the city of Ekwulobia while the smallest part falls within Aguluezechukwu. There has been an age-long contention on this issue between the indigenes of Aguluezechukwu and Ekwulobia with both towns claiming the status of the headquarters on account of ownership claim to the 'Aguata land'. This state of affairs made the Government of Anambra State to officially declare that the headquarters of Aguata Local Government Area should be Aguata (the neuter name of the location in which the headquarters of Aguata Local Government Area Offices are sited) in a bid to settle the conflict. Slogan: The Orient Colossus.
Aguata Local Government Area is home to some of Nigeria's distinguished statesmen and academicians, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, former governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Air Vice Marshal C. Umenwaliri (Former Minister for Communication FRN), Dr. Andy Uba, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife (Elder statesman and former Governor), His Lordship Rt. Rev. Onuigwe C. Dominic, (Elder Statesman and former Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, Anambra State) Rt Rev Emphraim Ikeakor, Bishop of Amichi Diocese. Also from this great local govt are Chief Titus Anigbogu (Ugwumba Aguata),Chief Anthony Muobike KSC,(Former State Secretary, Peoples Democratic Party, Anambra State), Chief Dr. Emmanuel Dimike (Osuofia Aguluezechukwu, Osuofia 1 of Aguata, Osuofia Ndi Igbo) Brother Obi Okoli, A heavy weight APGA Chieftain in Anambra also Chairman Ekwulobia Urban Mass Transport Company, Jolet oil Nigeria Ltd, Late Chief Joseph.N.B.Ofojebe(Omenyiriora Umuona) retired director at Shell Petroleum Development Company Warri and former President General of Umuona etc. and other great movers and shakers in all walks of life. Aguata used to be host of the great Federal Polytechnic Oko, until recently when Orumba South and Orumba North were carved out of the Local Government Area.
Ekwulobia, the largest town in Aguata, is expanding rapidly to a population of about five-hundred thousand people. It is the major commercial town in the area. Most Nigerian Commercial banks maintain their branches there. It also boasts of a stadium, a Federal Prison( part of which falls into Ezinifite) and a major market, Eke Market. Several new agricultural factories established around Ekwulobia town have also attracted workers into the town. Ekwulobia is also a major transit hub from where travellers can connect to other far flung cities in Nigeria. There are public transport vehicles that run from Ekwulobia daily, to Onitsha, Awka, Port Harcourt, Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Abakaliki etc.
Ekwulobia is indeed a Beehive of activities especially during the festive period, it always attracts thousands of visitors during this periods. The famous and legendly 'Achukwu' masquerade which the nine villages that make up Ekwulobia has, is a beauty to behold.
In the area of hospitality business, the town has few hotels such as Orthon Palace Hotels and in recent times Chicago Hotel, Vonic hotel and resort and logart hills hotel. All these and many other features have made Ekwulobia a must visit for many visitors as well as other neighbouring towns in the area.
Ekwulobia Development Union is the mother union of all branches of Ekwulobia People's meetings both home and abroad even in the diaspora, with Lagos branch which is headed by Nze Lawrence Ezenwa(Ogbuehi Chinaza Oku) being the strongest of all the unions.
The famous 'Awuka' masquerade of Aguluezechukwu and 'Nkpokiti Ije Enu Dance' were noted for their unique dancing steps and won accolades in the then Anambra State.
Other towns in Aguata L.G.A
Ekwulobia Is one of the towns in Aguata local government and is also the headquarter of the Local government. They have a wide known masquarade which was banned last year (2016) due to some bad practices they are indulged in.
Isuofia, according to history originated from Isu Kingdom. Isuofia In the olden days have a little stream which later left the town
Aguluezechukwu, according to history originated from Uga. The name Aguluezechukwu is a combination of 'Agulu and Ezechukwu'. History has it, that the Ezechukwu clan in Uga were primarily hunters who came to hunt Elephants and other animals in the vast land of Aguluezechukwu. In the course of their hunting expeditions, they decided to create a temporary settlement which later became permanent till date.
Here is the list of secondary schools in Aguata Local Government Area:
- Holy Child Secondary School, Isuofia
- Girls’ Secondary School, Igboukwu
- Community Secondary School, Isuofia
- Aguata High School, Aguata
- Girls’ High School, Uga
- Boys’ Secondary School, Uga
- Community Secondary School, Uga
- Pioneer Secondary School, (GSS) Umuchu
- Community Secondary School, Umuchu
- Umuchu High School, Umuchu
- Government Technical College, Umuchu
- St. Peter’s Secondary School, Achina
- Girls’ Secondary School, Achina
- Community Secondary School, Nkpologwu
- Community Secondary School, Oraeri
- Community Secondary School, Aguluezechukwu
- Community Secondary School, Akpo
- Christ The Redeemer College, Amesi
- Community Secondary School, Igboukwu
- Community Secondary School, (BSS) Ezinifite
- Ezinifite High School, (GSS) Ezinifite
- Urban Girls’ Secondary School, Ekwulobia
- Premier Secondary School, Nkpologwu
- Emmanuel Nursery/Primary School, Nkpologwu
- Adeleke, Dr. Wale. "Brief history of Aguata - Aguata". NaijaSky. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Olanrewaju Oguntoyibo: Chukwuma Soludo and the race to 2014 - The ScoopNG". The ScoopNG. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Ekwulobia | African Culture and Traditional Blog | Page 2". olivernwokedi.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- Onunwa, Udobata R. (2010-06-27). A Handbook of African Religion and Culture. Dorrance Publishing. ISBN 9781434953964.
- "Orthon Palace Hotels Ekwulobia - Ekwulobia, Anambra, Nigeria - Lodging | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- Prince Amaechi Peterkin Okafor (2014-05-02), Aguluezechukwu Ownned Masquerade, retrieved 2016-05-13
- Chidiebere, Scofield. "Reason Why Achukwu Was Banned In Ekwulobia Being The Headquarter Of Aguata Local Government". GENERALBAZE.COM.NG. GENERALBAZE.COM.NG. Retrieved 28 May 2017.