|Tehran's Temporary Friday Prayer Imam|
18 December 2005
|Appointed by||Ali Khamenei|
|Member of Assembly of Experts|
24 February 1999
|Majority||873,584 (55.96%; 3rd term)|
|Born||1960 (age 54–55)
|Political party||Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom|
|Religion||Twelver Shia Islam|
In 2006, during the Pope Benedict XVI Islam controversy, Khatami asked the Pope to "fall on his knees in front of a senior Muslim cleric and try to understand Islam." In 2007, he addressed the death sentence issued by Imam Khomeini against Salman Rushdie, saying "In the Islamic Iran that revolutionary fatwa of Imam [Khomeini] is still alive and cannot be changed." In regard to the 2009 Iranian election protests, Khatami denounced demonstrators as rioters who wage war against God ("mohareb"), (a capital crime in Islamic law), and more recently accused reformist presidential candidates Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mahdi Karroubi of Mohareb as "leaders of sedition."
- "Assembly of Experts members" (in Persian). Assembly of Experts. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Iran cleric: Mideast unrest replay of our 1979 Islamic revolution". Haaretz. 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Senior Iranian Cleric Calls For Setting Up Of New UN". RTT News. 2010-06-11. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Ahmad Khatami meets Leader". Mehr News. 2005-12-18. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Pope tells Muslims he is 'deeply sorry' for crisis", Malaysia Star, September 17, 2006
- "British Muslims". This is London. 2007-06-22. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "Iranian Cleric: Protesters at War With God". VOA News. 2009-07-01. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Iran opposition leader ready to 'pay any price', by ALI AKBAR DAREINI, AP, 16 February 2011, accessed 4 March 2011
- Quotations related to Ahmad Khatami at Wikiquote