This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hirata on the theatrical release poster for Godzilla (1954)
December 26, 1927
|Died||July 25, 1984 (aged 56)|
|Dr. Daisuke Serizawa in Godzilla|
|Spouse(s)||Yoshiko Kuga (1961–1984)|
Akihiko Hirata (平田昭彦 Hirata Akihiko) (December 16, 1927 – July 25, 1984), born Akihiko Onoda (野田昭彦 Onoda Akihiko), was a Japanese film actor. While Hirata starred in many movies (including Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai trilogy), he is most well known for his work in the kaiju genre, including such films as King Kong vs. Godzilla, The Mysterians, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and his most famous role of Dr. Daisuke Serizawa, the brilliant but disturbed young scientist in the original Godzilla, released in 1954. Hirata was married to the popular actress Yoshiko Kuga from 1961 until his death. He died after a long battle with lung cancer in 1984, at age 56.
Hirata was born in Seoul, Korea, in 1927, into a wealthy family. He was educated at the prestigious Tokyo University's School of Interior Design. Before joining Shintoho as an assistant director (under his older brother, Yoshiki Onoda), Hirata moved into still photography, and eventually joined Toho in 1953, under the studio's "New Face" program, which would lead to his casting in Godzilla (although Hirata was originally intended for the part of Ogata, eventually played by another genre regular, Akira Takarada).
Hirata's film debut came in 1953, with The Last Embrace. Hirata would go on to play everything from snarling villains to government officials. His long face and intense features have earned the actor a cult following. Although Hirata earned lasting fame with his part in Godzilla, the role also typecast him, and the actor would go on to star in over 20 other sci-fi fantasy films for Toho (among them The H-Man, Gorath, and Prophecies of Nostradamus, as well as an important recurring role in the original Ultraman series. It is fitting that in both his first and final appearances in a Godzilla film, Hirata would play mysterious and disturbed scientists, as Hirata took on the role of the tragic Dr. Mafune in 1975's Terror of Mechagodzilla.
Hirata died in 1984. The actor's association with the kaiju genre continued right until his death, as he helped announce the production of The Return of Godzilla at a Tokyo press conference, but unfortunately Hirata was too ill to appear in the film, and the part would eventually go to Yosuke Natsuki, who had appeared alongside Hirata in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster in 1964. Hirata died on the 25th of July, 1984, after a long battle with lung cancer.
- The Last Embrace (1953)
- Girls Amongst the Flowers (1953)
- Even the Mighty Shed Tears (1953)
- Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (1954) as Seijuro Yoshioka
- Godzilla (1954) as Dr. Daisuke Serizawa
- The Lone Journey (1955) as Horikoshi no Masakichi
- Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple (1955) as Seijūrō Yoshioka
- Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island (1956) as Seijūrō Yoshioka
- Rodan (1956) as Professor Kyouichiro Kashiwagi
- The Mysterians (1957) as Ryōichi Shiraishi
- The H-Man (1958) as Inspector Tominaga
- Varan the Unbelievable (1958) as Dr. Fujimura
- Submarine I-57 Will Not Surrender (1959)
- The Secret of the Telegian (1960) as Detective Kobayashi
- Storm Over the Pacific (1960) as an Officer
- The Story of Osaka Castle (1961) as Hayatonosho (Hayato) Susukida
- Mothra (1961) as Doctor
- Sanjuro (1962) as Samurai
- Gorath (1962) as Spaceshop Otori [J-X Eagle] Captain Endo
- King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) as Doctor Shigesawa
- Atragon (1963) as Mu Agent #23
- Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964) as Chief Detective Okita
- 100 Shot, 100 Killed (1965) as Komori
- Ultra Q (1967) as Chief Hanazawa
- Ultraman (1966) as Professor Iwamoto
- Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) as Red Bamboo Captain Ryū
- Ultraseven (1967) as Staff Officer Yanagawa
- The Killing Bottles (1967) as Man With Turkish Hat
- Son of Godzilla (1967) as Fujisaki
- Latitude Zero (1969) as Dr. Sugata; Doctor of Latitude Zero
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) as Professor Hideto Miyajima
- Prophecies of Nostradamus (1974) as Environmental Scientist 1
- Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) as Dr. Shinji Mafune
- Daitetsujin 17 (1977) as Captain Gomez
- The War in Space (1977) as Commander Oishi, Japan Defence Forces
- Port Arthur (1980) as Gaishi Nagaoka
- Sayonara Jupiter (1984) as Doctor Inoue Ryutarou
- Onihei Hankachō (1975 )
- A Kaiju film website Archived 2008-11-21 at the Wayback Machine, provides details of Hirata's filmography.
- IMDB biography, fills in some details of Hirata's life.
- Stuart Galbraith IV (16 May 2008). The Toho Studios Story: A History and Complete Filmography. Scarecrow Press. p. 177. ISBN 978-1-4616-7374-3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Akihiko Hirata.|