This biographical article needs more biographical information on the subject.(March 2015)
|Native name||山田 章博|
|Born||February 10, 1957|
Kōchi, Kōchi Prefecture, Japan
|Known for||Manga, Illustration|
|Awards||1996 Seiun Award|
Akihiro Yamada (山田 章博 Yamada Akihiro) (born February 10, 1957) is a Japanese illustrator and manga artist. He was born in Kōchi, Kōchi Prefecture on the island of Shikoku in Japan, and now resides in Kyoto. Yamada is known for delicate images reminiscent of suiboku and depiction of fantasy subjects. He is the 1996 Seiun Award winner in art category.
While he has created many manga, Yamada is widely known as a novel illustrator and as a character designer. As an illustrator his best known works are Fuyumi Ono's Twelve Kingdoms series and Mizuno Ryo's Record of Lodoss War. His character design credits include concepts for the anime series RahXephon as well as a variety of video games. He worked on concept design of the movie Shinobi: Heart Under Blade.
Yamada's character design credits for anime include RahXephon. His work on video games includes Saiyuki: Journey West for PlayStation, various Might and Magic and Wizardry titles for the PC Engine, both entries to Mystic Ark, Enix's role-playing video game for the Super Famicom and PlayStation and character designs for Shinkai Densetsu Meremanoid and Terra Phantastica. Yamada also worked on a game called Chaos Gear and a PC game, Black Rainbow.
Yamada attracted attention outside Japan through his illustrations of Fuyumi Ono's long-running The Twelve Kingdoms light novel series. He specially designed the rich cover illustrations for the home DVD releases of the anime adaptation of this series. Within Japan he has illustrated covers for numerous translated anthologies of Cthulhu Mythos literature, and is currently working with Kurodahan Press on their translation of a four-volume Japanese anthology of Cthulhu Mythos literature, The Lairs of the Secret Gods (秘神界 Hishinkai). Yamada is drawing covers that are exclusive to the English translation.
- Black Rainbow (PC-98)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Black Rainbow II (PC-98)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (PC Engine)  - Cover Art (Japanese Ver.)
- Ancient Magic バズー!魔法世界 (Super Famicom)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Gaiapolis 黄金鷹の剣 (Arcade)  - Promotional Art
- Wizardry I・II (PC Engine)  - Cover Art
- Wizardry III・IV (PC Engine)  - Cover Art
- 疾風魔法大作戦 Kingdom Grandprix (Arcade, Sega Saturn) [1994/1995] - Cover Art (Sega Saturn release), Character Designer
- Mystic Ark (Super Famicom)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- 悪魔城ドラキュラXX (Super Famicom)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Terra Phantastica (Sega Saturn)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Milandra (Super Famicom)  - Cover Art
- Front Mission 3 (PlayStation)  - Character Designer
- Mystic Ark まぼろし劇場 (PlayStation)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Meremanoid (PlayStation)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- 西遊記 (PlayStation)  - Cover Art, Character Designer
- Fire Emblem Heroes (Android, iOS)  - Character Designer (Jagen, Ogma, Zephiel, Gunter)
- GEAR, theatre show based in Kyoto with design by Akihiro Yamada.
- 星雲賞リスト (in Japanese). sf-fan.gr.jp. Retrieved April 14, 2010.