Satellite television and
|Traded as||(SEHK: 2008)|
|Industry||Broadcasting & Cable TV|
|Headquarters||Tai Po, New Territories
|Liu Changle (Chairman and chief executive officer),
Chui Keung (Deputy chief executive officer, Chief Compliance Officer),
Liu Shuang (Chief Operating Officer of Phoenix Satellite TV, CEO of Phoenix New Media)
|Products||Television content, Television programming|
|Parent||21st Century Fox|
|Phoenix Chinese Channel|
|Launched||31 March 1996|
|Owned by||Phoenix Television|
|Sister channel(s)||Phoenix InfoNews Channel
Phoenix Chinese News and Entertainment Channel
Phoenix North America Chinese Channel
Phoenix Movies Channel
Phoenix Hong Kong Channel
|TVB Network Vision (Hong Kong)||Channel 80|
|Astro (Malaysia)||Channel 312 (SD)|
|SkyCable (Philippines)||Channel 158 (Phoenix Chinese Channel), Channel 157 (Phoenix InfoNews Channel)|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||250 (Phoenix Chinese Channel), Channel 118 (Phoenix InfoNews Channel)|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 203 (Phoenix Chinese Channel), Channel 202 (Phonenix InfoNews Channel)|
|TrueVisions (Thailand)||Channel 779 (Phonenix InfoNews Channel)|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 805 (HD)|
|Cable TV Hong Kong (Hong Kong)||Channel 20|
|Macau Cable TV (Macau)||Channel 314|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 140|
|Now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 548|
|Phoenix Chinese Channel|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Fènghuáng Wèishì Zhōngwén Tái|
Phoenix Satellite Television Holdings Ltd or Phoenix Television is a Hong Kong–based Mandarin and Cantonese-language television broadcaster that serves the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong along with other markets with substantial Chinese viewers. It has six different television channels, including Phoenix InfoNews Channel, Phoenix Chinese Channel, Phoenix Movies Channel, and Phoenix Hong Kong Channel. Phoenix Television provides news, information, and entertainment programmes.
Phoenix is one of the few private broadcasters permitted to broadcast in mainland China.
The company's head office is located in Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong, and it also has correspondents offices in Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen. The Shenzhen office is said to be responsible for one half of the TV programs' production.
Phoenix started Phoenix Chinese Channel on 31 March 1996. During these years, the development of satellite allowed them to expand their broadcast to 53 countries and regions with more than 20 million viewers worldwide, of which more than 62% are Chinese-speaking people. It now covers over 150 countries and regions around the world with an estimated 300 million audience, among which, over 42 million households with more than 150 million viewers are from the Mainland China.
The Phoenix InfoNews Channel was established on 1 January 2001. It was the first Chinese-language channel that covered news from the regions of Greater China, including mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. There is 24-hour broadcasting on financial news, stock market information as well as news headlines worldwide. In addition, it provides comments and analysis prepared by analysts on current issues and topics.
In January 2003, the Chinese State Administration of Radio, Films and Television (SARFT) (中國國家廣播電影電視總局) granted landing rights (落地權) to Phoenix InfoNews Channel, making it one of the few non-government owned television broadcasters in mainland China.
The Phoenix CNE channel was founded to broadcast in Europe, and the Phoenix North America Chinese Channel established to broadcast in the Americas. In 2005 California-based broadcast and engineering director Tai Wang Mak was arrested for conspiring with his brother, Chi Mak, to act as an intelligence agent for China. A 10-year prison sentence was announced in 2008.
In 2011, Phoenix New Media formed a partnership with the British Broadcasting Corporation to offer BBC programming on Phoenix's digital media platforms. This was followed by a similar partnership with the National Film Board of Canada in 2012, in which 130 NFB animated shorts and documentary films will be offered digitally in China.
Phoenix TV operates the following channels:
- Phoenix Chinese Channel, launched on 31 March 1996, one of the long-term foreign broadcasters in China
- Phoenix Chinese Channel Australia Edition, launched on August 1999
- Phoenix Chinese Channel Japan Edition, launched on September 2009
- Phoenix Movies Channel, launched on 28 August 1998. It is now an encrypted pay-television service in China and worldwide.
- Phoenix InfoNews Channel, launched on 1 January 2001, a 24-hour news channel.
- Phoenix North America Chinese Channel, launched on 1 January 2001, which now broadcasts on both EchoStar and DirectTV satellite systems and shares the same programming with "Phoenix Chinese News and Entertainment Channel" (Phoenix CNE Channel).
- Phoenix Chinese News and Entertainment Channel (also known as Phoenix CNE Channel), launched on August 1, 1999, which is now a 24-hour channel based in London and broadcasting via satellite Eurobird 1 across Europe.
- Phoenix Hong Kong Channel, launched on 28 March 2011, a Cantonese channel.
- Starts On April 1 On 2017,3 Channels Will Be New Network:Phoenix International Picture Television(PIPTE Asia, Include Australia and New Zealand)
- 1.Phoenix Chinese Channel, launched on 31 March 1996, A Brand New Chinese Entertainment Channel,Providing popular, quality programming including drama, music, talk shows, current affairs and lifestyle programmes.
- 1A.Phoenix Chinese Channel Australia Edition, launched on August 1999
- 1B.Phoenix Chinese Channel Japan Edition, launched on September 2009
- 2.Phoenix InfoNews Channel, launched on 1 January 2001, a 24-hour news channel.A 24-hour Mandarin-language satellite television channel providing the latest news on finance and current affairs from a Chinese Perspective and Same day Japan Of The JOJO Programmes and Anime.
- 3.Phoenix Hong Kong Channel, launched on 28 March 2011, a Cantonese channel.A 24-hour Asian infotainment channel predominantly in Cantonese language, it provides updated news, current affairs, financial analysis, documentaries, talk shows, fashion trends, cultural highlights, and other entertainment.
- 4.AXN: Formed in 1997, AXN is Sony's entertainment television network, which airs across Japan, Asia, Latin America and Europe.
- 5.Animax: Animax Asia is a Japanese anime television network that broadcasts Animax's English-language feeds in Southeast Asia and South Asia, as well as in other regions of mainland Asia, including Hong Kong and Taiwan. It is operated by Sony Pictures Television Networks, Asia (SPENA), a television operator unit of Japanese media conglomerate
- 6.Sony Channel:Sony Channel Asia is the premiere destination for female-skewing entertainment with the biggest and best of Hollywood. Designed for the socially connected viewer, Sony Channel features some of the most captivating and talked-about drama, comedy, lifestyle and reality programs on TV, all airing close to the U.S. telecasts, together with popular feel-good movies. Fresh, confident and stylish, with a dash of clever wit, Sony Channel Asia is visually stunning with a brand identity that perfectly complements its line-up of high caliber programming. It appears to a female-skewed, male-inclusive audience who love to escape, engage, and lose themselves in premium content. Viewers are modern, social, stylish and aspirational.
- 7.Sony ONE:ONE TV Asia (sometimes referred to as Sony ONE Asia or simply as ONE) is a subscription pay cable and satellite television channel owned by Sony Pictures Television, a division of Sony Pictures Entertainment. It is currently available in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia. It opened on 1 October 2010 at 21:00 SST (20:00 WIB). ONE delivers 24-hours of Korean entertainment series, variety and music programs supplied by Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) and Hunan Broadcasting System(HBS).
- 8.Sony GEM:GEM delivers 24-hours of Asian entertainment series, variety and drama programs from across Asia
- 9.Disney XD:Disney XD Asia (known as Disney XD in idents and commercials) is a cable and satellite television channel that broadcasts in the Southeast Asia region, owned by the Disney Channels Worldwide unit of the United States-based Disney–ABC Television Group, operated by The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia. It is aimed primarily at young males, 6–14 years old.
- 10.Disney Channel:Disney Channel Asia (formerly known as The Disney Channel from 1996 to 1997) is a basic cable and satellite television channel that broadcasts in Southeast Asia as the flagship property of owner Disney Channels Worldwide unit of the United States-based Disney–ABC Television Group and operated by The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia. Most of its original programming is aimed at pre-teens and adolescents ages 10–16 while its Disney Junior programs are targeted at younger children ages 3–9, although certain programs are aimed at audiences of all ages.
- 11.Disney Junior:Disney Junior Asia (known as Disney Junior in idents and formerly known as Playhouse Disney from 2004 to 2011) is a cable and satellite television channel that broadcasts in Southeast Asia, owned by the Disney Channels Worldwide unit of the United States-based Disney–ABC Television Group, managed by the The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia. Aimed mainly for children between 2 through 9 years of age, its programming consists of original first-run television series, theatrically-released and made-for-DVD movies and select other third-party programming.
- 12.History:History (formerly known as The History Channel) is an Asian television channel with shows on historical events and persons. The channel is owned by A+E Networks Asia, a joint-venture between A+E Networks, owner of the American History, and Astro Holdings Sdn Bhd. In India History TV18 owned by a joint-venture between A+E Networks and under permission registered Discovery Communications, owner of the American History and Network 18, Indian media group & available in eight languages (Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu & Urdu) in India.
- 13.Crime & Investigation Network:Crime & Investigation Network is a Southeast Asian television channel which focuses on crime, investigation and mystery programming.
- 14.Fyi:FYI (stylized as fyi,) is a Southeast Asian television channel dedicating to lifestyle.
- 15.H2:H2 offers more to explore, more to reveal, more to know and more to understand. H2 provides a deeper perspective on global history and creates fascinating connections that generate surprising new perspectives on history. At H2, information is entertainment experienced in unexpected, clever and exciting ways. A myriad of programmes including award winning military content and unique editorial through experts and historians makes up the content on H2. These includes Mankind Decoded, America's secret slang, Lost Worlds, Hero Ships and special editions of Dogfights, as well World War II specials.
- 16.Lifetime:Unlike its U.S. counterpart, Lifetime airs mostly entertainment and lifestyle programs aimed for female audiences.
- 17.CNN International:From 1989 until 2005, this edition included exclusive programmes to the Asia-Pacific region such as Asia This Day, CNN Morning News (Asian edition), News Biz Today and Asia News. Since mid-2003, News Biz Today and Asia News (which were eventually renamed into CNN News and Asia NowandCNN India respectively) were simulcast on the other editions of CNN International. In addition, from 1990 to 2005, to differentiate it from the other feeds, the network logo on the lower-right hand of the screen had a static globe with the Asian continent facing the audiences.
- 18.HLN:The channel was originally structured to feature a tightly formatted, 30-minute newscast that was rebroadcast each half-hour, 24 hours a day, with freshly updated information that briefly covered various areas of interest (such as national news, sports, entertainment, weather and business). Since 2005, however, its format has increasingly shifted to long-form tabloid-, opinion-, crime-, and entertainment news-related programming. In 2014, the network further re-focused with an emphasis on social media.
- 19.Cartoon Network:Cartoon Network, is a cable and satellite television channel that primarily broadcasts animated programmes. Operated by Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, the channel is broadcast from its headquarters in Hong Kong to audiences in its country of location, as well as to Macau and Southeast Asia (except Philippines, where its broadcasting operation was later separated from the broader Southeast Asian version but it Simlucast at 1:00-5:00am or Any Special Blocks for Weekends)
- 20.Boomerang:Boomerang is a cable and satellite television channel owned by Turner Broadcasting, a unit of Time Warner and its main flagship regional channel of Cartoon Network. The Southeast Asian version of Boomerang was launched in September 2005 with a lineup very similar to that of the US version. It started previously as a programming block on Cartoon Network from 2001 to 2005 during weeknights. It uses the same voice overs from the Australian feed.
- 21.Toonami:Toonami is a television channel that launched in Asia on 1 December 2012. It is operated and distributed in Asia by Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Inc., a Time Warner company. It is named after the programming block seen in the U.S, using the logo introduced in 2004 but with different branded promos.
- 22.Oh!K:Oh!K is a subscription pay cable and satellite television channel owned by Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Inc., with content supplied by MBC. First broadcast on October 20, 2014, on StarHub TV in Singapore, Oh!K is a pan-regional channel currently available in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Oh!K airs South Korean drama, entertainment, variety and music programmes supplied from Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation 24/7 as outlined in the initial announcement.
- 23.Warner TV(Asia):WarnerTV boasts more than 1,000 hours of programming of fan-favorite TV shows and blockbuster movies from one of the world's leading producers of entertainment, Warner Bros. Entertainment.
- 24.Turner Classic Movies:Turner Classic Movies is a digital television channel featuring commercial-free classic movies, mostly from the Turner Entertainment and Warner Bros. film libraries, which include many MGM, United Artists, RKO and Warner Bros. titles, mainly classic films (e.g. The Wizard of Oz or Citizen Kane). It is the Asian iteration of the US Turner Classic Movies.
- 25.DIVA:DIVA is a feel good channel for women all over the world. It's up beat, lively and optimistic, but at the same time full of emotion, poignancy and warmth. Packed with great drama, uplifting movies and dynamic reality shows, with DIVA, entertainment is a celebration
- 26.Syfy:Syfy Universal Asia (sometimes referred to as Syfy Asia) is an Asian cable television channel, launched on July 1, 2008 which mainly airs science fiction, fantasy and horror programs and movies. It also airs anime programming.
- 27.Universal Channel:Universal Channel is a television channel specializing in movies and television series in the thriller, drama, comedy, crime and investigation genres.
- 28.E!:E! is an Asian television channel, owned by NBCUniversal. It features entertainment-related programming, reality television and Hollywood gossip and news.
- 29.CNBC Asia:CNBC Asia is a business news television channel in Asia. A subsidiary of NBCUniversal, it is the Asian service of the Consumer News and Business Channel (CNBC). Its programmes originate from Singapore, Mumbai, Hong Kong and Sydney and has bureaus in Tokyo and Seoul, Noida.
- 30.DreamWorks Channel:DreamWorks Channel is a Southeast Asian television network that is owned & operated by DreamWorks Animation International TV.
- 31.RTL CBS Entertainment:RTL CBS Entertainment is an English-language general entertainment TV channel serving Southeast Asia, owned and produced by RTL CBS Asia Entertainment Network, a joint-venture of RTL Group and CBS Studios International. This channel launched on September 2013 which focuses on entertainment and variety shows and broadcast in high-definition. Within 2 years, the channel became avaible in 2015 to Philippine cable viewers, with a separate feed.
- 32.RTL CBS Extreme:RTL CBS Extreme is an English-language general entertainment TV channel serving Southeast Asia, owned and produced by RTL CBS Asia Entertainment Network, a joint-venture of RTL Group and CBS Studios International. This channel launched on March 27, 2014 which focuses on action-packed entertainment shows and broadcast in high-definition.
- 33.Discovery Channel:Discovery Channel is an Asia satellite and cable TV channel which provides documentary and reality programming focused mainly on popular science, technology, history and culture. It is owned and operated by Discovery Networks Asia.
- 34.Animal Planet:Animal Planet is an Asian satellite and cable television channel owned by Discovery Communications Network Asia based in Singapore. It also broadcasts to several countries in Asian region. Animal Planet Asia is divided into 6 channel feeds.
- 35.Discovery Science:Discovery Science is a male and female-targeted science television channel is owned by Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific.
- 36.DMAX:DMAX is an Asian satellite and cable TV channel which provides documentary, factual-entertainment, lifestyle and reality programming for male audiences.It is owned and operated by Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific, a division of Discovery Communications.
- 37.TLC:TLC is a television channel available in South-East Asia, previously known as Discovery Travel & Living.the channel was rebranded again into Discovery TLC Asia with international and local line ups. The new channel will be "bigger, better and bolder, featuring new places, genres, and faces." As of June 2011, TLC South East Asia has now split into four different channel feeds.
- 38.EVE:Eve is an Asian satellite and cable TV channel which provides documentary, factual-entertainment, lifestyle and reality programming for female audiences.It is owned and operated by Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific, a division of Discovery Communications.
- 39.Discovery HD World:Discovery HD World (formerly as Discovery HD) is a satellite and cable TV subscription channel that provides documentary and non-fiction programming; focuses primarily on science, technology, history and culture. It is operated by Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific, a division of Discovery Communications Inc. and available in Australia, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. Discovery HD World is broadcast in HD 1080i with Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
- 40.Discovery Kids:Discovery Kids is a television channel owned and operated by Discovery Networks Asia, a division of Discovery Communications, available on multichannel platforms which provides children's programming.
- 41.Aniplus HD:ANIPLUS Asia is a 24-hour anime channel focused on broadcasting anime within the South East Asia region. The channel was launched in 25 Nov 2013 and is currently available in Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand. It also offers select titles to OTT platforms iflix and HOOQ. ANIPLUS Asia is based in Singapore, while its parent company ANIPLUS TV is headquartered in South Korea.
- 42.HITS:Hits (stylized as HITS) is an English-language entertainment TV channel owned by Rewind Networks. This channel was launched in Singapore on 9 December 2013 and airs Classic previously-screened drama and comedy series in high definition (HD).
- 43.ZooMoo:ZooMoo is an English-language entertainment TV channel owned by Singapore's Beach House Pictures and New Zealand's NHNZ. This channel was launched in Singapore on 4 April 2014 in high definition (HD).ZooMoo features puppetry, animations, games, music, puzzles and activities to create a unique viewing and learning experience for little viewers. With its second screen companion app, ZooMoo provides an interactive experience which is both fun and educational for children and their parents, and enhancing the viewing experience.
- 44.Asian Food Channel:The Asian Food Channel (AFC) is a food and lifestyle broadcaster based in Singapore. As the first food TV channel to broadcast pan-regionally in Asia, AFC provides a mix of both Eastern and Western content in a variety of formats. The channel was launched in the middle of 2005 into multiple territories across the region and has since been broadcasting to over 130 million viewers in 13 countries, including: Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- 45.Life Inspired:Li (Life Inspired) is a 24-hour high-definition television network in Asia. Launched in 2009, Li airs lifestyle-related programmes such as those pertaining to food, home, wellness, travel and style.
- 46.WakuWaku Japan:WakuWaku Japan (stylized as WAKUWAKU JAPAN) is a Japanese general entertainment channel that broadcasts Japanese programs to overseas viewers in Asia. The channel broadcasts only Japanese programs 24 hours a day. Malay, Mandarin, and English language versions of these programs are broadcast on this channel. Subtitles and dubbing are available in some countries.
- 47.CinemaWorld:CinemaWorld is a 24-hour, movie channel that premieres the world’s best and award-winning movies, box-office successes, critics' favorites from all around the world. All movies shown are in original language and subtitles into English/local language.
- 48.iConcerts:iConcerts is a TV channel dedicated solely to Live Music that was launched on June 21, 2006. Operated by Swiss based Transmedia Communications SA, it is available in 85 countries.The channel is particularly strong in classic rock and pop-rock, but the whole spectrum of music is covered.
Phoenix features a mix of programmes, ranging from political and economic news and current affairs through talk shows, film and music reviews to movies, and mini series in both Chinese and foreign origins.
Since 1 September 2001, Phoenix Television has been broadcasting a range of United Nations television programming including 57 episodes of "UN in Action", 39 episodes of "World Chronicle", and also some awarded-winning documentaries. Phoenix is co-operating with the United Nations to produce more programmes.
- Phoenix Horizon:
- - Lawrence’s Viewpoint
- - The Tactics
- - Peter Qiu’s Talk
- - Shi Ping Financial Insight
- - Mainland Q & A(Move In J5)
- - Idolot Q&A
- Promise 2020
- From Phoenix to the World
- Summary of Press
- Record Times
- A Quote From the Celebs(Move In TVB Pearl)
- Noontime Financial News
- Phoenix News Express
- Record Times
- A Quote From the Celebs
- Phoenix Buster:
- - Eye on World
- - Observation Post of Millitary Situation
- - Harmony Society
- - Head Start In Finance
- Omni Talk
- Phoenix Focal Point
- Chit Chat with Me
- Music Video Selection
- The Odyssey of Dragon
- Life Code
- Taiwan Talk Show
- Panoramic Eyeshot of Phoenix(Move IN J5)
- Tiger Talk
- Current Affairs Debate(Move IN TVB Pearl)
- Premium Spectacular(Move IN J2)
- Elite Converge(Move IN J5)
- Approaches To Politics & Business(Move IN J5)
- China Forum
- Phoenix Selection(Move In J2)
- Strategy Room
- The Great Silk Road
- Earth Report
- My Beatutiful Homeland
- The Days We’ve Been Through(Move In J2)
- Cultural Kaleidoscope
- Emergent China
- Architecture’s Dream(Move In J5)
- Talk with World Leaders
- Phoenix Buster: Secret Documentary
- Starface(Move In J5)
- A Date with Lu Yu(Move In J5)
- Behind the Headlines with Wen Tao
- Good Morning China
- Today’s Headlines
- Morning Financial News
- Weekend Morning News
- The Asian Journal
- Pic of the Day
- Noontime Financial News
- Phoenix News Express
- The World this Week
- Phoenix Afternoon Express
- Weather Forecast
- Info Express
- Phoenix Midnight Finance Express
- Weekend Midnight News(Coming Soon)
- Empress Of China
- The Imperial Doctoress(Same Day)
- Legend Of MiYue
- Red Sorghum
- The Distguier
- The Romance of the Condor Heroes
- Sound Of The Desert
- Love In YueGe Desert
- Royal Romance
- Bromance(Same Day)
- Legend Of Shu
- The Door
- Chornic Love
- Destined To Love You
- The Jonurey Of Flower
- 16 Summer
- Cruel Romance
- Odd To Joy
- Running Man China(All 4 Season)
- Run Of Time(All 2 Seasons)
- The Amazing Race China
- Up Idol/Up Coming
- King VS King
- 24 Hours
- Running X(24Hours,Same Day As Korea)
- Day Of 3 Meal(Homemade,Same Day As China Telecast)
- 2 Day One Night(Same Day As China)
- Sisters Over Flowers China
- Mens Teenage Over Flowers
- Jinxing Time(Same Day As China Of 13 Hours)
- Jinxing Show(Same Day As China Of 13 Hours)
- Mob Psycho 100 (Simulcast)
- D.Gray-man Hallow (Simulcast)
- Twin Star Exorcists (Simulcast)
- Love Chunibyo and Other Delusions Heart Throb
- Bladedance of Elementalers
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo
- Shonen Hollywood
- One Punch Man
- Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation
- Ore Monogatari
- Laughing Under the Clouds
- My Little Monster
- Tamako Market
- Valvrave the Liberator^
- Golden Time^
- Beyond the Boundary^
- Kill Me Baby^
- Little Battlers Experience^
- The World God Only Knows^
- Guilty Crown^
- Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha^
- Ghost Fighter^
- My Little Monster^
- sweetness & lightning
- ENDRIDE (second cour)
- Bungo Stray Dogs^
- Kiznaiver ^
- Big Order^
- Haruchika -Haruta & Chika^
- Myriad Colors Phantom World
- Utawarerumono The False Faces (second cour)^
- Utawarerumono The False Faces (first cour)^
- Attack on Titan: Junior High^
- The Perfect Insider^
- Diabolik Lovers More,Blood^
- Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers^
- The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls S2^
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?^
- Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine^
- Uta no Prince-sama - Maji Love Revolutions^
- Wish Upon the Pleiades^
- Kantai Collection^
- Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend^
- The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls S1^
- Psycho-Pass 2
- Celestial Method
- When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace^
- Terror in Resonance
^This Programme Only Available On Vietnam and Australia(SEA Region:Include HK-Telecast Later On 12 Week)
Phoenix Satellite Television holdings Ltd is a public limited company. Shareholders include Today's Asia Ltd. with 37.5% of the company, China Mobile Hong Kong Company Limited with 19.9%, Xing Kong Chuan Mei Group Co., Ltd./Fox International Channels Asia (wholly owned by 21st Century Fox) with 17.6%, China Wise International Ltd. with 8.3% and the public with 16.7%. The state controlled broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) was given a 10% interest upon the firm's founding. According to CEO Liu Changle, granting the stake to CCTV "was a symbolic gesture to show we wouldn't oppose the Communist Party."
Liu Changle (劉長樂), the CEO and founder of Phoenix TV, was a journalist for the Communist-party controlled Central People's Broadcasting Station after the Cultural Revolution and had become one of China's richest men by the 1990s, being well-connected to the Beijing leadership.
Mr. Shuang Liu (刘爽), assumed the position of COO of Phoenix TV on 17 February 2014. He continues to be the CEO of Phoenix New Media Limited (NYSE: FENG), a new media company in China.
Mandarin news anchors
Phoenix Television features many well-known news anchors and talk show hosts. Most of them are degree holders in communications or language studies. Most are bilingual in Mandarin Chinese and English.
Some of their key news presenters are:
- Angela Chow (周瑛琦)
- Anthony Yuen (阮次山): Yuen is editor-in-chief and current affairs anchor of Phoenix Television.
- Celia Li (李源), MC for Miss Chinese Cosmos European Pageant finals hosts news programmes 'Europe Today', 'FT Weekly' and 'EuroChina Business Report'. Based in London, she regularly interviews world political and business leaders.
- Chen Luyu (陈鲁豫): Luyu hosts a popular talk show A Date With Luyu and is likened to an "Oriental Oprah".[according to whom?]
- Chen Xiaonan (陳曉楠)
- Haibo Huang (黃海波)
- Dou Wentao (竇文濤), born 21 August 1967, in Shijiazhuang, Hebei province, is famous for his weekday talk show Behind the Headlines with Wentao (锵锵三人行).
- Hu I-Hu (Tiger Hu) (胡一虎): Hu has interviewed the South African ex-President Nelson Mandela. He has been "the most popular reporter in Taiwan"[specify] for 5 years.
- Liu Hai-Jo (劉海若): Liu was traumatically injured in a railway accident in the United Kingdom in 2002 and later woke from a coma at Beijing People's Hospital. The channel has broadcast updates on her recovery.
- Luqiu Luwei (閭丘露薇): Luqiu was the first Chinese female reporter who went to Iraq during the Iraq war. Luqiu's contributions on reporting the Iraq war and SARS have been praised by PRC Chairman Hu Jintao.
- Shen Xing (沈星)
- Wu Hsiao-Li (Sally Wu) (吳小莉): Former PRC prime minister Zhu Rongji has said that he watched her news broadcast daily.
- Xu Gehui (許戈輝)
- Yang Shu (Susie Yang) (杨舒)
- Yuchi Lingjia (尉遲琳嘉)
- Zeng Zimo (曾子墨)
Cantonese news anchors
- "Annual Results Announcement for the Year Ended 31 December 2009" (Press release). Phoenix Satellite Television Holdings Limited. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "Half of Phoenix Television programs are produced in Shenzhen" (in Chinese). ifeng.com. 26 March 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- Bill Gertz (18 September 2006),ENEMIES The Washington Times
- Josh Gerstein (22 April 2008), Chinese Spy Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison The New York Sun
- 凤凰卫视将开播香港台 以广东话进行广播
- Kushigemachi, Todd (12 June 2012). "Canucks find first TV niche in China". Variety. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Company Profile". phoenixtv-distribution.com. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- Philip Pan (19 September 2005), Making Waves, Carefully, on the Air in China The Washington Post
- Official Site (Chinese)
- Official Site (English)
- "Rising Phoenix", Asiaweek article on Phoenix Television
- "Phoenix sets up venture in Guangdong", China Economic Review, March 2003.
- Hong Kong Phoenix TV Station Initiates IT, American Channel
- Phoenix InfoNews Channel to Land in Guangdong
- Phoenix is a member of the United Nations media partnership