|Elevation||127 m (417 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||1000 :1040.5 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Tirunelveli|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Alangulam|
Alangulam is a town in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India. It is a panchayat town and the centre of the Alangulam Taluk in Tirunelveli district. It acts as a trading hub for nearby villages and its connected towns like Tirunelveli, Tenkasi,Courttalam,Surandai, Pavoorcathiram and Ambasamudram. Alangulam Bus Stand is third biggest bus stand in Tirunelveli District after Tirunelveli and Tenkasi which connect many areas through bus like Tirunelveli, Tenkasi, Madurai, Chennai, Nagercoil,Kanyakumari, Thoothukudi, Coimbatore, Palayamkottai, Courttalam, Surandai, Pavoorcathiram, Mukkadal, Ambasamudram, Papanasam. This town's small hill known as Okkanindranpothai Malai, a Tamil expression meaning "standing on tip-toes", is depicted in a folk tale of Lord Rama standing at the top of this hill on tip-toes, searching the area for his companion Sita. This town is known for halwa and textiles.
Alangulam is located at  It is situated at an average elevation of 127 metres (416 feet)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Alangulam had a population of around 17,922 as per the 2001 census. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Alangulam has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Firkas under Alangualm Taluk
Villages under Alangualm Panchayat Union
- Alangulam www.alangulam.in
- Vadakku Kavalakurichi
The area has many farmers and farm workers. Rice and vegetables produced locally are sold throughout South India. A local cottage industry is the manufacture of beedi cigarettes.
Alangulam is connected by state highways to Tirunelveli (31 km) towards the east, to Tenkasi (23 km) towards the west, to Ambasamudram (19 km) towards the south, to Surandai (14 km) towards the north-west.
Banking and financial institutions
- Canara Bank
- Indian Bank
- State Bank of India (SBI)
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank (TMB)
- Pandian Grama Bank
- Co operative society bank
- Axis Bank
- City Union Bank Ltd
State Assembly elections 2011
- Male Electors - 98229
- Female Electors - 101368
- Total Electors - 199597
- Votes polled - 165134
- Percentage of votes polled - 82.73%
Schools and colleges
The schools in this area include:
- Government Higher Secondary School, Alangulam.
- West Tirunelveli Higher Secondary School, Nallur.
- Sri Ramakrishna Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Alangulam.
- St.Joseph matriculation school, Alangulam.
- Annai Saradhamani Primary School, Alangulam.
- T.D.T.A middle school, Alangulam.
- T.D.T.A primary school, Natham, Alangulam.
- Jesus Loves primary school, Alangulam.
- Archvel Primary school, Alangulam.
- Jeeva Montessori Matric School, Alangulam.
- S M A Matriculation school, Adaikalapattanam (A unit of Sri Muppudathi Amman Educational Institutions), Alangulam.
- C.M.S Arunodhya middle school, Nallur.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Maruthamputhur.
- Pappakudi Union Primary School, Maruthamputhur.
- Sri Lakshmi Nursery and primary school, Alangulam.
The colleges in this area are include:
- Sardar Raja College of Engineering,Alangulam
- CSI Jayaraj Annapackiam College,Nallur, Alangulam
- Einstein College of Engineering,Sivalarkulam
- Aladi Aruna College of Nursing,Sivalarkulam
- St.Mariam Polytechnic College, Sivalarkulam
- Sri Muppidathi Amman College of education,Adaikalapatinam
- St.Johns Teacher Training Institution, Maranthai
- Diwan ITI, Maranthai
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Alangulam
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
Population data http://www.censusindia.gov.in/pca/SearchDetails.aspx?Id=701489
- Edited by Marwin Sam