|Headquarters||New York City, United States|
|Products||Digital Media, Merchandise, Broadcast, Advertising Media Network, Apps|
|Parent||Zelnick Media Capital(31%)
Defy Media owns and operates online brands including Smosh, Shut Up! Cartoons, Clevver Media, Smosh Games, The Escapist, Teen, Gurl, The Gloss, and Crushable, as well as Break.com, Screen Junkies, CagePotato, Chickipedia, HolyTaco, MadeMan, AllLeftTurns, TuVez and GameFront which were inherited from Break media. Each of these brands operates a dedicated website and YouTube channel. Defy Media's online program offerings include The Single Life, The Confession, Fashion on the Fly, Dating Rules, Chasing, Style Rules, Wendy, Style Setters, and The Sub.
According to ComScore, Defy counts more than 38 million followers among its owned brands, reaching 221 million unique visitors each month. Together, its channels reach over 80 million video viewers monthly.
- Smosh was founded in 2005 by Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla and acquired by Alloy Digital in July 2011. The Smosh YouTube channel was the most subscribed channel on YouTube with over 20+ million subscribers. The channel’s core demographic is 12-24. The SMOSH.com website measures 1.5 million visitors monthly. Smosh was called the Saturday Night Live of the Internet by Time in 2006. Smosh spin-off channels include Shut Up! Cartoons and Smosh Games.
- Shut Up! Cartoons was launched as a spin-off of Smosh in April 2012. It features original cartoons and animated videos. The channel consistently ranks in the top 25 for weekly views. Original animated series include Zombies vs. Ninjas, Pubertina, Krogzilla Gets a Job, Oishi High School Battle, Smosh Babies, and Paper Cuts. Shut Up! Cartoons is led by Barry Blumberg and Lena Hume.
- Clevver Media
- Clevver Media was founded in 2006 by Michael Palmer and Jorge Maldonado and acquired by Alloy Digital in June 2012. Launched in 2006, it operates six entertainment and celebrity-focused YouTube channels, including ClevverTV, ClevverMovies, ClevverMusic, ClevverNews, ClevverStyle and ClevverTeVe. Clevver Media ranks in the top 10 YouTube networks, according to ComScore. Hosts/producers have included Lily Marston, Katie Krause, Deidre Behar, Erin Robinson, Misty Kingma, Vivian Valadez, Miriam Isa, Nicole Phillippi, Jacqui Phung, Brianna Baxter, Chelsea London Lloyd, and Ryland Adams. Executive producers are Dana Ward and Joslyn Davis. Clevver is led by Michael Palmer and Jorge Maldonado. The Clevver brand is the second-biggest YouTube channel for sponsor content in the Defy Media group of brands.
- Smosh Games
- Smosh Games was launched as a spin-off of Smosh in September 2012. Smosh’s Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla team up with various online gamers to play games, provide reviews and updates, and share commentary. The YouTube channel achieved 1 million subscribers within three months of launching. It counts more than 350 million video views.
- The Escapist was acquired by Alloy Digital in November 2012. It targets video-game enthusiasts. in 2008, the site won a Webby Award and a People’s Voice Award. The Escapistmagazine.com website generates 28 million page views each month. In 2012, The Escapist launched the Escapist Expo in Durham, North Carolina. The second annual took place in October 2013.
- Teen is an online community offering celebrity and entertainment news for teenagers. It won an OMMA Award for "Best Youth Site" in 2012.
- Gurl is an online community that covers a variety of teenage-girl issues including life, love, sex, health, and friends.
- The Gloss
- The Gloss is an online community about fashion and beauty. The former sites Mommyish.com, Blisstree.com and Grindstone.com now exist within The Gloss to provide content on health, career, and parenting.
- Crushable is an online community that focuses on celebrity news, style, gossip, and relationships.
- Launched by Andy Signore, Brett Weiner and Mitch Rotter. The site focuses on film and television related topics.
- Generate LA-NY - January 2012 
- B5 Media - April 2012 
- Digital Broadcasting Group - April 2013 
- The Warp Zone
Awards and recognition
- 2013 Digiday Award for Best Content Marketing Program for Chasing with Steve Aoki 
- 2012 OMMA Website Excellence Award for Alloy Digital content on Teen.com
- 2012 W3 Gold Award for Dating Rules From My Future Self 
- 2012 Internet Advertising Competition Award from the Web Marketing Association for Smosh.com 
- 2012 Internet Advertising Competition Award from the Web Marketing Association for Dating Rules From My Future Self 
- 2011 Media Vanguard Award for the Most Innovative Use of Original Web Video for Merchandising Kmart First Day 
- Matt Diamond, CEO of Defy Media
- Keith Richman, President of Defy Media
- Barry Blumberg, Head of Content
- Andy Tu, EVP Marketing
- Mark Gall, Chief Revenue Officer
- Gina DiGioia, EVP, General Counsel & Secretary
- "Defy Media website". 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Defy Media. "Alloy Digital and Break Media Announce "Merger of Equals," Forming Leading Multi-Platform Media Company Focused on 12-34 Consumers". GlobeNewswire News Room.
- Barbarino, Al (12 March 2013). "Growing Digital Firm Alloy Digital Relocates to 498 Seventh Avenue". Commercial Observer.
- Heine, Christopher (2 August 2012). "Hulu Pushing Further Into Branded Entertainment With Alloy". AdWeek.
- Graser, Marc (15 November 2012). "Alloy Digital buys website Escapist". Variety.
- Warzel, Charlie (20 April 2012). "Alloy Digital Acquires B5Media Young adult media network doubles down on women's lifestyle content". AdWeek.
- Strauss, Karsten (29 April 2013). "Killing Your Television: Inside Alloy Digital's Latest Acquisition". Forbes.
- Wieselman, Jarett (23 October 2012). "SNEAK PEEK: 'CHASING STEVE AOKI'". The Insider.
- Heine, Christopher (23 October 2012). "Xbox Spins New Web Reality Show". AdWeek.
- "Rachel Zoe's 'Style Rules' Casting Contest!". Hollywire. 2011.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Winners". Web Marketing Association. 2012.
- "TRESemmé® Unveils TRESemmé Style Setters; New Digital Series Launches with Actress Nikki Reed Taking Viewers Backstage at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week". Unilever. 12 March 2012.
- "TRESemme Launches Multi-Phase Digital Campaign". MediaPost. 12 March 2012.
- Taintor, David (7 June 2013). "Miller64 Debuts Web Series Featuring Pro Athletes Alloy Digital/DBG's 'The Sub' features Terrell Owens, Gary Payton, others". AdWeek.
- "Media Metrix (Unduplicated reach for Alloy Digital and Digital Broadcasting Group)". Retrieved June 2013. Check date values in:
- "Video Metrix (Unduplicated reach for Alloy Digital and Digital Broadcasting Group)". Retrieved June 2013. Check date values in:
- Tim Peterson. (9 June 2014). "Viacom Takes Stake in Defy Media to Boost YouTube Presence - Digital - Advertising Age". adage.com.
- Grossman, Lev (16 December 2006). "Smosh". TIME.
- Pomerantz, Dorothy (25 January 2013). "Smosh's Ian And Anthony Are A New, Purely Digital, Breed Of Celebrity". Forbes.
- "Smosh". Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Media Metrix (www.Smosh.com)". Retrieved June 2013. Check date values in:
- Arrant, Chris (13 April 2012). "SMOSH! Announces YouTube Animation Channel, Shut Up! Cartoons". Cartoon Brew.
- "YouTube Original Channel Tracker". AdAge. July 2013.
- "SMOSH and ClevverGames Level Up As Alloy Digital's Top- Ranking YouTube Properties Join Forces for the Launch of SMOSH Games" (PDF). Alloy Digital. 13 April 2012.
- Del Rey, Jason (18 June 2012). "Alloy Digital Snaps Up YouTube Power Network Clevver Media". Ad Age.
- "Media Metrix (Clevver)". Retrieved June 2013. Check date values in:
- "YouTube Original Channel Tracker". AdAge. 20 July 2013.
- "Smosh Games". Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- Pitts, Russ (3 May 2011). "The Escapist's Webby Wins". The Escapist.
- Helder, Kelly (4 May 2011). "Gaming Website Unlocks Lifestyle Achievement". The Escapist Magazine.
- "Audience Overview". Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "The Escapist Expo". Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "2012 Finalists: Online Advertising Creativity". OMMA Awards. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- Szalai, Georg (5 January 2012). "Online Video Content Creator Alloy's Digital Unit Acquires Generate". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "2013 Finalists and Winners". Digiday Publishing Awards.
- "Around the Globe". W3 Awards. 2012.
- "2012 Internet Advertising Competition Award for Outstanding Achievement in Internet Advertising". Web Marketing Association. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Winners". Web Marketing Association. 2012.
- "Leading Next Generation Media Company Alloy Digital Receives $30M Series A Investment from ABS Capital Partners". W3 Awards. 2013.
- "Our Team". defymedia.com.