American Whiskey Trail
The American Whiskey Trail is a promotional program of the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States that promotes the distilled beverage industry of the United States. The Trail was announced to the public on September 28, 2004.
The American Whiskey Trail consists of historical sites and operating distilleries open to the public. Sites along the American Whiskey Trail can be visited in any order or sequence desired.
- Fraunces Tavern Museum, in Manhattan, New York
- Gadsby's Tavern Museum, in Alexandria, Virginia
- George Washington Distillery Museum, in Mount Vernon, Virginia
- Oliver Miller Homestead, in South Park, Pennsylvania
- Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey, in Bardstown, Kentucky
- West Overton Museums, in Scottdale, Pennsylvania
- Woodville Plantation, in Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
Operating whiskey distilleries open to the public:
- Buffalo Trace, in Frankfort, Kentucky
- George Dickel, in Tullahoma, Tennessee
- Jack Daniel's, in Lynchburg, Tennessee
- Jim Beam, in Clermont, Kentucky
- Maker's Mark, in Loretto, Kentucky
- Tom Moore, in Bardstown, Kentucky
- Wild Turkey, in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
- Woodford Reserve, in Versailles, Kentucky
Also included are two rum distilleries:
- Greenfield, Heather. "Cheers, George. Mount Vernon distillery is gateway to the American Whiskey Trail". The Free Lance-Star.
- Barr, A. (1999). Drink: A Social History of America. New York: Carroll & Graf.
- Grimes, William (1993). Straight Up or On the Rocks: A Cultural History of American Drink. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Lender, Mark E. & Martin, James K. (1982). Drinking in America: A History. New York: The Free Press.
- Popham, Robert E. & Israel, Yedy, et. all. (eds.) (1978). "The Social History of the Tavern". Research Advances in Alcohol and Drug Problems. New York: Plenum. 4: 255–302.
- Rorabaugh, William J. (1979). The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rorabaugh, William J. (1991). "Alcohol in America". Magazine of History. 6: 17–19.
- Roueché, Berton (1960). The Neutral Spirit: A Portrait of Alcohol. Boston: Little, Brown & Co.
- American Whiskey Trail (official web site), Distilled Spirits Council of the United States