Angela V. McKnight
Angela V. McKnight
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly|
from the 31st district
|Assumed office |
January 12, 2016
Serving with Nicholas Chiaravalloti
|Preceded by||Charles Mainor and Jason O'Donnell|
|Born||March 10, 1977|
|Alma mater||University of Phoenix|
|Website||Legislative web page|
Angela V. McKnight (born March 10, 1977) is an American Democratic Party politician who has represented the 31st Legislative District in the New Jersey General Assembly since she was sworn into office on January 12, 2016.
A resident of Jersey City, New Jersey, McKnight received a bachelor's degree from the University of Phoenix with a major in business management. She is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of AngelaCARES, an advocacy and support organization for senior citizens.
As a member of the General Assembly, McKnight has been appointed to serve on the Education Committee, the Health and Senior Services Committee and the Human Services Committee.
Under the terms of a bill introduced by McKnight in the General Assembly in 2019, students would be required to demonstrate proficiency in the use of cursive handwriting, both reading and writing, by the end of the third grade. McKnight cited the bill as providing children with "a vital skill they will need for the rest of their lives", noting that without cursive skills "how will our students ever know how to read a scripted font on a word document, or even sign the back of a check".
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 31st Legislative District for the 2016-2017 Legislative Session are:
- Assemblywoman Angela V. McKnight, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed August 21, 2016.
- Rushing, Ellie. "New Jersey legislator introduces bill that would require students to learn cursive", The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 3, 2019. Accessed December 4, 2019. "New Jersey’s elementary school students would be required to learn, read, and write cursive by the end of third grade, under a bill now in the state Assembly. “In some cases, children are entering middle school without knowing how to sign their own name in cursive,” said Assemblywoman Angela McKnight, a Democrat who represents parts of Hudson County."
- Legislative Roster 2016-2017 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed August 21, 2016.
- Assemblywoman McKnight's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
|New Jersey General Assembly|
Charles Mainor and Jason O'Donnell
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 31st District
January 12, 2016 – present
With: Nicholas Chiaravalloti