Ante Up (song)
|"Ante Up (Robbin-Hoodz Theory)"|
|Single by M.O.P.|
|from the album Warriorz|
|Released||September 9, 2000|
|Genre||East Coast hip hop, hardcore hip hop|
EK 91445 (Canada)
|Songwriter(s)||E. Murray, J. Grinnage, D. Pittman|
|M.O.P. singles chronology|
"Ante Up (Robbin-Hoodz Theory)" is a song by American hip hop duo M.O.P. from their fourth studio album Warriorz (2000). Seen as their breakthrough single, it was released in 2000 and reached number 7 on the UK Singles Chart. A remix of the song features Busta Rhymes, Remy Martin and Teflon. The remix CD includes an additional version which features Funkmaster Flex.
Background and composition
In an interview with Zilla Rocca at Passion of Weiss, "It's a saying that we got from my mother, every time someone comes through the door she’s like, 'Where it's at? Ante up.' Just the fact that we took it from the street corner—there was two meaning to the record. It was ante up, we've been in this game too long you guys see how we demolish the stage, how we make short work of the main major artists when we get on their records and you still won't give us the props and the recognition that we deserve."
The music video for the song features M.O.P. performing the song on stage. It features cameo appearances from Gang Starr, Method Man, Buckshot of Black Moon, Steele of Smif-N-Wessun, Afu-Ra, and Tony Touch.
Usage in media
"Ante Up" was featured in several films within years of its release, such as The Last Castle, Brown Sugar, Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star, the dance film You Got Served, 30 Minutes or Less and A Simple Favor. The song was also featured in an episode of the short lived television series Robbery Homicide Division, as well as an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine ("The Chopper") and an episode of The Mindy Project ("In the Club").
In 2003, the song was sampled by Javine Hylton for her debut single "Real Things". However, it gained mainstream attention after being sampled by John Cena in the song "The Time Is Now". M.O.P. eventually sued, but later dropped legal proceedings for the alleged unlawful sampling.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||30|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||15|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||33|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||7|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||74|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||19|
- "M.O.P. - Ante Up Remix ft. Busta Rhymes, Teflon, Remy Martin". YouTube. October 25, 2009. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- "MOP Ante Up (Robbing-Hoodz-Theory) feat. Funkmaster Flex". YouTube. April 2, 2011. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Rocca, Zilla (October 26, 2016). ""It Takes two Different Beings to Make the Baby Right": An Interview with Billy Danze". Passion Weiss. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- "M.O.P. – Ante Up Lyrics: Genius Lyrics". Genius. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "M.O.P." IMDb.
- "Javine's 'Real Things' sample of M.O.P.'s 'Ante Up (Robbing-Hoodz Theory)'". WhoSampled. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Swift, James (July 16, 2014). "O2 dog turns hip hop for Big Bundles". Campaign. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Austriancharts.at – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in French). Ultratip.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Ante Up". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "M.O.P. Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "M.O.P. Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard.