Ante Up (song)
|"Ante Up (Robbin-Hoodz Theory)"|
|Single by M.O.P.|
|from the album Warriorz|
|Released||September 9, 2000|
|Genre||East Coast hip hop, hardcore hip hop|
EK 91445 (Canada)
|Songwriter(s)||E. Murray, J. Grinnage, D. Pittman|
|M.O.P. singles chronology|
"Ante Up (Robbin-Hoodz Theory)" is a song by American hip hop duo M.O.P. from their fourth studio album Warriorz (2000). Seen as their breakthrough single, it was released in 2000 and reached number 7 on the UK Singles Chart. A remix of the song features Busta Rhymes, Remy Martin and Teflon.
In an interview with Zilla Rocca at Passion of Weiss, "It's a saying that we got from my mother, every time someone comes through the door she’s like, 'Where it's at? Ante up.' Just the fact that we took it from the street corner—there was two meaning to the record. It was ante up, we've been in this game too long you guys see how we demolish the stage, how we make short work of the main major artists when we get on their records and you still won't give us the props and the recognition that we deserve."
Usage in media
"Ante Up" was featured in several films within years of its release, such as The Last Castle, Brown Sugar, Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star, the dance film You Got Served, and 30 Minutes or Less. The song was also featured in an episode of the short lived television series Robbery Homicide Division, as well as an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine ("The Chopper") and an episode of The Mindy Project ("In the Club"). In 2008, M.O.P. dropped legal proceedings for the alleged unlawful sampling of the song in "The Time Is Now".
The song is commonly used in British TV show Soccer AM in a segment entitled "that's obscene, that it".
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||30|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||15|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||33|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||7|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||74|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||19|
- "M.O.P. - Ante Up Remix ft. Busta Rhymes, Teflon, Remy Martin". YouTube. October 25, 2009. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- "Javine's 'Real Things' sample of M.O.P.'s 'Ante Up (Robbing-Hoodz Theory)'". WhoSampled. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Rocca, Zilla (October 26, 2016). "“It Takes two Different Beings to Make the Baby Right”: An Interview with Billy Danze". Passion Weiss. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- "M.O.P.". IMDb.
- Swift, James (July 16, 2014). "O2 dog turns hip hop for Big Bundles". Campaign. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Austriancharts.at – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in French). Ultratip.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Ante Up". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – M.O.P. – Ante Up" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Archive Chart: 2001-08-12" UK Indie Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2001-08-12" UK R&B Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2001-08-12" UK Singles Chart.
- "M.O.P. – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for M.O.P..
- "M.O.P. – Chart history" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for M.O.P..