A Simple Favor (film)
|A Simple Favor|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Paul Feig|
|Screenplay by||Jessica Sharzer|
A Simple Favor|
by Darcey Bell
|Music by||Theodore Shapiro|
|Edited by||Brent White|
A Simple Favor is an upcoming American mystery thriller film directed by Paul Feig and written by Jessica Sharzer. Based on the novel of the same name by Darcey Bell, the film stars Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively and follows a small-town blogger who tries to solve the disappearance of her mysterious and rich best friend. It will be released in the United States on September 14, 2018.
A Simple Favor centers on three small-town characters: a mom blogger (Anna Kendrick), her best friend (Blake Lively) who disappears suddenly and the latter's husband (Henry Golding). The story includes betrayals and reversals, a dead body and the revolving question of who is duping whom.
- Anna Kendrick as Stephanie Ward, Miles's mother and Emily's best friend
- Blake Lively as Emily Nelson, Stephanie's best friend, Sean's wife and Nicky's mother
- Henry Golding as Sean Nelson, Emily's husband and Nicky's father
- Ian Ho as Nicky Nelson, son of Sean and Emily Nelson
- Joshua Satine as Miles Ward, Stephanie's son
- Linda Cardellini
- Eric Johnson as Davis
- Jean Smart as Mrs. McLanden
- Rupert Friend
- Sarah Baker as Maryanne Chelkowsky
- Andrew Rannells
In January 2016, it was announced that 20th Century Fox had bought the film rights to author Darcey Bell's novel, "A Simple Favor" prior to the book's publication. The story had been pitched as being similar to Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. Creative Artists Agency represented the movie rights in the deal with Fox.
In June 2017, it was announced that A Simple Favor would be extricated from 20th Century Fox and instead be distributed by Lionsgate. It was also announced that the film would be directed by Paul Feig with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively announced as being "in talks" for the lead roles. On July 26, 2017, Kendrick and Lively were confirmed for the lead roles while Henry Golding joined the cast as the husband of Lively's character. Linda Cardellini was later announced as having been cast in an undisclosed role in September 2017. Andrew Rannells, Jean Smart, and Rupert Friend were revealed to have been cast in the film later.
The film is set to be released on September 14, 2018.
On May 1, 2018, Blake Lively deleted all pictures from her Instagram account in order to promote the film. The first teaser trailer was released on May 2, 2018, followed by the second teaser trailer, which was released on May 24.
- "A Simple Favor". AMC Theatres. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (January 29, 2016). "Fox Developing Murder Mystery 'A Simple Favor' as Movie (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Busch, Anita (June 19, 2017). "Anna Kendrick & Blake Lively in Talks To Star In 'A Simple Favor' For Paul Feig – Update". Deadline.
- McNary, Dave (July 26, 2017). "'Crazy Rich Asians' Star Henry Golding Joins Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick's 'Simple Favor'". Variety.
- Foutch, Haleigh (May 2, 2018). "'A Simple Favor' Trailer: Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively Get Wrapped up in a Mystery". Collider. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela (February 26, 2018). "Lionsgate's 'Robin Hood' Relocates to Thanksgiving". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- Scott, Ryan (May 2, 2018). "A Simple Favor Trailer Pulls Anna Kendrick & Blake Lively Into a Mystery". MovieWeb. Retrieved July 15, 2018.
- Pendersen, Erik (May 24, 2018). "'A Simple Favor' Teaser: Anna Kendrick & Blake Lively In Thriller From Paul Feig". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 15, 2018.