|Opening date||2017 (expected)|
|Dam and spillways|
|Turbines||4 x 65 MW (87,000 hp)|
|Installed capacity||260 MW (350,000 hp) (max. planned)|
The Meghri Dam (also known as the Aras Dam or Aras Watershed Dam) is a hydroelectric dam currently under construction on the Aras River near Armenia's southern town of Meghri on the Armenia–Iran border.
The joint Iranian–Armenia project was proposed in 1990s and was discussed between Iranian and Armenian authorities. Intergovernmental agreements between Armenia and Iran were signed in 2007 and 2008. On 14 April 2009, energy ministries of Armenia and Iran signed a memorandum on financing construction of the Meghri power station of Armenian side. The dam and power stations construction contract was signed on 16 October 2010 with Farab Sepasad Company. A ceremony on 17 November 2012, attended by Iran's Minister of Energy and the Armenian President, officially began construction.
The basic studies were carried out by Arm-Hydroenergo-Project Company and Mahab-E-Qods Consulting Engineers Company in 1999. The Meghri station will be operated by Iran for 15 years after which it will be returned to Armenia free of charge.
The project is expected to cost US$400 million.
The complex will consists of two 130 megawatts (170,000 hp) hydroelectric power stations — Ghare Chiler (also transcribed Gharachilar or Karachinar) on the Iranian side and Meghri on Armenia side. Due to the sufficient difference in elevation and the presence of Aras Dam on the upstream, the power stations will be run-of-river type. Both power stations will have two turbines with a capacity of 65 megawatts (87,000 hp) each.
- "Projects under study". Iran Water Resources Management Company. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- Moradi, Shima (2004-06-28). "Bitaraf Lauds Iran-Armenia Cooperation". Shana. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Armenian-Iranian HPPs to be constructed on Araks River". News.am. 2010-09-16. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "The contract for constructing of Meghri Dam & Power Plant in Armenia was signed" (Press release). FARAB. 2010-10-16. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "News: Meghry Power Plant Kicks off". Iran Water & Power Resources Development Co. 17 November 2012. Archived from the original on 13 March 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Iranian company to construct hydropower plant in Meghri". Armenion. 2010-09-16. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Jointly Build a Dam across the Border River" (PDF). Iran power & water. Ministry of Energy of Iran (127): 28. October 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Letter of understanding for cooperation concerning Aras River was signed between Iran and Armenia" (Press release). Iran Water Resources Management Company. 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Araks Hydro". EBRD. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Aras Hydro Power Plant - Gharachilar". Iran Water Resources Management Company. Retrieved 2011-01-29.