Shan in 2014
London, England, UK
|Occupation||Actor, Model, TV Presenter, Creative Director.|
Asad Shan is a British Actor, Fashion Model, TV presenter. He is an ex Investment Banker having worked for the likes of ABN AMRO, HSBC and Thompson Financials. He was crowned Mr. Asia UK 2004. His first feature film 7 Welcome to London saw him make his big screen debut as well as his directorial debut. It received massive critical and commercial acclaim after its UK release and has gone on to become the most successful British made Hindi language film in the UK.
Shan's other notable appearances include being a veejay for B4U Music and he is currently on Zee TV's Zing as a host for weekend film showBrits Bollywood and daily rude tube show Grinds My Teeth. Shan has also starred in New York Film Academy and Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute productions of the well-renowned East is East and The Glass Menagerie. He has recently endorsed campaigns for major brands like Sky Digital, HSBC and most recently - One For The Boys, a charity chaired by Samuel L. Jackson.
Asad was born to parents of Punjabi ancestry and brought up in East Ham, East London. He studied at the prestigious independent Brentwood School in Essex. He studied Law at University and did Acting courses at New York Film Academy, Kishore Namit Kapoor India, Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute New York and Sanford Mesiner lab in New York. Asad grew up supporting West Ham United F.C. and is an avid Tennis and Football player. He is often seen volunteering with his local residents club to organise charity events.
Upon graduating with a degree in law & management, he worked as an investment banker in the city of London for two years in Corporate Broking and ECM. Asad found his true calling when he won the Mr. Asia UK competition. Inspired by this win, he went to New York to train in Method acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute and in Film Performance at the New York Film Academy. Soon, Bollywood beckoned and he moved from the Big Apple to the bright lights and glamour of Mumbai, India.
Asad has experience in the arts including various media forms like film, theatre, television, commercials, music videos and modelling.
Within a few short months after his move to Mumbai he was seen on the runways at Indian Fashion Weeks as well as being ambassador for top fashion labels and eventually became one of the most sought after veejays for B4U Music. In 2009 he was named the 'Best & Sexiest VJ' at the music channel. He fronted popular shows like "Just Request", "Star Stop", "Flash" and "India's Top Ten".
Eventually seeing an opportunity and growth in the UK market, Asad shifted base back to London from bombay where he started a film production company Iconic Productions UK Limited and worked on the company's debut venture, a Bollywood thriller film titled 7 Welcome to London. It starred him in the lead, playing the role of Jai. The film was set in London and had a UK wide release on 9 March 2012. The film is slated for release in the United States, India Pakistan and Canada.
Welcome to London was acquired by GEO Films in Pakistan and had a successful release in Pakistan on 30 Jan 2015. It beat Hawaizaada and Shamitabh at the Pakistani box office and was a profitable venture for its distributors.
He has also recently finished shooting another film called London Life, where he played the main protagonist Raj. It is an English film, set in London about Indian students who migrate to the UK and the problems they face.
Since 2011, he is UK's most popular & recognised face on Zee TV's music channel Zing as a host for Brits Bollywood and UK's first Asian Rude Tube show " Grinds My Teeth" which has gathered a huge response in the UK Shan has hosted a daily request show Rock The Vibe in the past for Zing.
He recently refused a reality show based on "The Bachelorette" 
Asad is currently dabbling as a creative producer for the Black Arts company in Soho London and is working on his next feature film (rom com), which goes on floor in 2015. The script stars leading actors of the fraternity.
Asad loves playing sports like football and tennis. He also played tennis at UK county level. He loves outdoor sports and is a keen adventurer. He takes an active interest with his fans and can be connected via his social media accounts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Shan's nut-shell version of his film - "7 Welcome to London is a breathtaking, noirishly stylised and utterly ghoulish thriller crafted in a gritty manner that accentuates the film’s edgy vision, but this stunning film has far more on its mind, exploding with multiple layers of meaning, tone and mood. It is about a journey of an average Joe from Delhi and what happens to him in a span of 24 hours in an eventful day in London".
Talking about his directorial style - "7 Welcome to London is Karan Johar meets Guy Ritchie". On being mobbed by fans at the premiere of his debut venture - "At Shaftesbury Avenue – where it has been going house packed – a lady nearly fainted and couldn’t stop crying. Her husband, who was English, had tears in his eyes as he described the movie as the best experience of his life."
Reasons for using 7 in his film - "For me, that number is seven, whatever I have done in my life has always had some connection to that number".
About his experience with the release of his film - "There were huge expectations and I wanted to prove to the world that British-born Asians are capable of doing this stuff and we will only go from strength to strength after this, but it's only having that belief that someone can do this. I didn't make this film for myself, I made it for the audience."
In reference to his previous experience coming in - "I am not a producer's son. I am not from the industry. I am just a boy from East London, so it was important that I create that market. For the last two years I have been the face of Brits Bollywood. I have honed my skills on this, audiences have got used to my face and I have created an identity. Although saying that, in the film you won't see VJ Asad, you will see the character of Jai."
His initial reaction to the film on screen - "I went through a range of emotions whilst watching the film. There was a certain glow within and a real sense of achievement, but I guess the most important feeling of pride came when I saw my mum's face when she saw the first rough cut".
On the possibility of being marooned on a deserted island - Q: If you were marooned on a desert island, which historical figures would you like to spend your time with and why? A: Winston Churchill for his humour, Mahatma Gandhi for his calmness, Eva Mendes for reasons I can’t reveal, Massimo Bottura, the best chef in the world to toss us some amazing food.
- He was crowned Mr. Asia UK 2004.
- Voted the 'Best & Sexiest VJ' at B4U Music.
- Voted among the "Top 10 Bachelors" in Cosmopolitan (magazine) and Elle, India.
- Featured in Daily News and Analysis, where his story has inspired many British Asians to take the plunge into Bollywood.
- Is the face of Sky (UK and Ireland)
- His debut 7 Welcome to London is the most successful British Hindi film ever.
- Is an avid supporter of social media.
- Compered Eid in the Square held by the Mayor of London in 2011.
Iconic Productions UK Limited is a London-based company in the business of film making, started in early 2009. Started by Shan in 2009, the company is committed to helping those trying to break it into the world of films. The company works in collaboration with sister companies in India and abroad. The production house also offers acting and vjing classes in London. Shan is the head of Iconic Bollywood Acting Academy based in Chancery Lane, where he teaches fellow Londoners the art of Bollywood acting and presenting. It has been running successfully since June 2010.
|2005||The Waiter||Raju||Les Beauchistes/O2 Mobiles||Nilesh Patel|
|2005||The Room Mate||Jay||New York Film Academy||Ruchir Garg|
|2005||What If||Tom||New York Film Academy||Chung K. Park|
|2006||Ya Ali||Self/ Model||Kunika Lal||Kabir Sadanand||Music Video|
|2008||Never Ending Story||Sunny||Kala Ghoda Film Festival||Ranjeeta Kaur|
|2010||Manali Cream||Kal||B3 Productions||Navdeep Khandola|
|2016||7 Welcome to London||Jai||Iconic Productions UK Ltd.||Asad Shan|
|2014||London Life||Raj||Kaybee Pictures||Naveen Medaram||Post Production|
|2005||The Individual||Ray||CPS Stage London|
|2005||Talking With Angels||Jason||CPS Stage London|
|2005||The Glass Menagerie||Jim O'Conner||New York Film Academy|
|2005||In God We Trust||Joe||NYFC||Lee Strafford|
|2005||East Is East||Tariq||NYFA Theatre||John Stafford|
|2005||The Salon||Self/ Mr. Asia UK||Channel 4|
|2007||BBC Desi DNA||Self||BBC Asia|
|2008||Brits Abroad||Self||Current TV|
|2007-08||Express, Star Stop||Vj Asad||B4U Music|
|2010–present||Brits Bollywood||Vj Asad||Zing (TV channel)|
|2013-present||Grinds My Teeth||Vj Asad||Zing (TV channel)|
|2015–present||Zing JukeBox||Vj Asad||Zing (TV channel)|
|2006||Fair and Lovely Men's Active||Model||Fair and Lovely|
|2006||Ayurveda Body Butter Cream||Model||Ayurveda|
|2007||Škoda Octavia||Model||Škoda Octavia|
|2007||Hero Honda||Model||Hero Honda|
|2010||LG F1||Man||Th2ng, Nick Meikle|
|2010||William Hill||Silent Terrace Man||The Bank Film Company, Ian Cassie|
|2012 - PRESENT||Sky (UK and Ireland)||Model||Sky (UK and Ireland)|
|2005-06||London Fashion Week||Ramp Model|
|2006-08||Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week||Ramp Model|
|2006-08||Lakme India Fashion Week||Ramp Model|
|2007-08||Boy London||Brand Ambassador|
|2007||Matrix Hair Model Fashion Show||Model|
|2008||Indian Contemporary & Classic Couture||Model|
- "Miss & Mr Asia 2003". missasia.co.uk. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "'7 Welcome To London' becomes most successful British Hindi film ever". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "B4U adds Asad Shan & Khushboo to VJ troupe". Radioandmusic.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Zing doubles up 'Grinds My Teeth' on demand". media247.co.uk. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Home". iconicproductionsuk.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Model Asad Shan rocks "7 Welcome to London" - UrbanAsian". UrbanAsian. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Home". asadshan.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- just host. "Welcome londonlifefilm.com - Justhost.com". londonlifefilm.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "Asad Shan: 'I turned down Mallika Sherawat'". World News. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "`7 Welcome to London' is a breathtaking, stylised thriller: Asad Shan". bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Asad Shan: '7 Welcome To London is Karan Johar meets Guy Ritchie'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- Steven Baker. "Asad Shan mobbed by hysterical star-struck fan". BollySpice.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Asad Shan unveils '7 Welcome to London' track 'Rog'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Asad Shan: '7 Welcome to London has been an incredible experience'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Asad Shan interview: '7 Welcome To London is Bollywood - but slicker'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- Rumki Chowdhury. "Rumki Chowdhury". myauthorlife.blogspot.in. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- Steven Baker. "Shah Rukh Khan speaks exclusively to Asad Shan - A BollySpice Special - BollySpice.com". BollySpice.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Shah Rukh Khan advises debut actor Asad Shan on film career". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "59 Second Interview with Asad Shan – Managing Director, Iconic Productions UK". theglobeuk.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Videshi boys, desi dreams". dna. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "'7 Welcome to London' star Asad Shan becomes face of Sky Digital". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Ikonz". Ikonz Mag. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Eid Festival on Trafalgar Square". Demotix. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- http://aodl.mirocommunity.org/video/195/manali-cream-clip[permanent dead link]
- "Home". iconicproductionsuk.com. Retrieved 28 June 2015.