|Department for Education URN||136308 Tables|
|Chair of Governors||Dilsa Dag|
|Head Teacher||Derrick Brown|
|Age||11 to 18|
Ashmole Academy (formerly Ashmole School) is a secondary school with academy status in Southgate, England in the London Borough of Barnet. Under the direction of the headteacher Derrick Brown, around 1,500 pupils (380 in the Sixth form) are educated in ages 11–18.
Pupils come from a wide range of minority ethnic heritages and a greater than usual number of pupils speak English as an additional language. In January 2007, Ofsted gave an overall rating of the school as Grade 1 Outstanding, the highest available assessment for a UK school.
The school, named after Elias Ashmole, was founded in 1958 as the successor of Russell Lane Secondary Modern Boy's School which had changed its name to Ashmole School in about 1949, had Southaw School merged into it in 1971, and became a foundation school in 1999. It achieved specialist status in Science in 2002, and added the second specialism, Music, in 2006. The school moved into a new building on the same site in September 2004 costing £14m. The existing administration block was refurbished and opened as the performing arts centre in June 2005. This was funded by the sale of 38 acres (15 ha) of school grounds for redevelopment as housing.
Ofsted gave an overall rating of the school as Grade 1 Outstanding, the highest available assessment for a UK school, following their 2007 inspection. They stated "Ashmole is an outstanding school. Pupils make very good progress, whatever their starting points, and standards are exceptionally high. Staff set consistently high expectations of achievement and pupils often exceed their targets. As a result of consistently good teaching, standards in the sixth form are outstanding."
Notable former pupils
- Joe Devera, footballer
- Mark Bunn, footballer
- Peter Prodromou
- Dan Gillespie Sells
- Rachel Stevens, S Club 7 singer
- Amy Winehouse, singer-songwriter
- Andrew Symeou
- Megan Prescott
- Daniel Peacock
- Phoebe Thomas
- Dee Murray
- Graham King
- Gilbert Gabriel
- "General Enquires" Archived 19 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "About Us". Ashmole Academy. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Ashmole School – Inspection report", Ofsted, 20 February 2007.
- Brown, Derrick (Autumn 2007). "Message from the Head" (PDF). @shmole, volume 1, issue 8. Ashmole School. Archived from the original (pdf) on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- Ambridge, Geoffrey (22 February 2006). "Ashmole Sec. Mod. School, London N.20 – 1950–54 – Telling Tales Out of School". Blog. Geoffrey Ambridge. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "Land sale paid for £14m new school", Barnet & Potters Bar Times, 30 June 2005
- "Ashmole Academy Press Release" Archived 27 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Dan Gillespie " Archived 28 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine, The Gay & Lesbian Awards
- Rachel Stevens biography
- "AMY WINEHOUSE", www.solarnavigator.net
- Megan Prescott