The trains used on the system are made up of various trainsets (rame) connected together. Each trainset is made up of two permanently connected train-cars (B'B'-B'B' formation) that can only be run together. Normally, 3 two-car sets are coupled together to make a complete six-car formation.
Between 1994 and 1996, 42 cars (21 two-car sets) were refurbished by FAUR and Electroputere for service on Line M3, however for unknown reasons the refurbishment project was abandoned and these trainsets are currently stored at Berceni Depot. These trains were distinguished by a blue livery, and featured new technical equipment. An attempt to build more intermediate coaches to allow for a 3-car x 2 formation was abandoned in 1995. In 2000, most of the Astra IVA coaches were refurbished and equipped with new ATO and ATP signalling systems, allowing for partial driverless operation especially on Line M4.
The Astra Arad rolling stock is approaching the end of its service life, so the cars are being gradually phased out in favour of newer Bombardier Movia and CAF trains. As of January 2017, 15 trainsets (90 modular cars) are in commercial service.
- Car Builder: ASTRA
- Unit Numbers: 001-252 (001* and 002* prototypes)
- Car Length: 2 × 19,000 mm (748.0 in)
- Car Width: 3,100 mm (122.0 in)
- Car Height: 3,600 mm (141.7 in)
- Track Gauge: 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge
- Total Weight: 2 × 36,000 kg (79,000 lb)
- Propulsion System: 4 × 215 KW AC Motors
- Power (Third Rail): 750 VDC
- Acceleration: 1.3 m/s2 (4.3 ft/s2)
- Deceleration: 1.3 m/s2 (4.3 ft/s2)
- Emergency Deceleration: 2 m/s2 (6.6 ft/s2)
- Max. Speed: 80 km/h
- Total Seating: 2 × 34
- Normal capacity: 2 × 166
- Coupling/Numbering Arrangement: All married pairs
- Number of cars produced: 2 × 254 (508)
- "Electroputere nu va mai face niciodată locomotive sau vagoane de metrou. Statul vrea fabrica înapoi", Economica.net, retrieved 25 June 2016
- IVA at transira.ro
- În cele mai noi staţii de metrou vor circula cele mai vechi trenuri Metrorex (Romanian)
- Bucharest Metro Rolling stock Archived August 9, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Astra IVA.|