Atari Anniversary Edition
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Atari Anniversary Edition|
North American Dreamcast cover art
Game Boy Advance
Atari Anniversary Edition is a collection of classic Atari coin-op games, and was released in 2001 on the Dreamcast, PlayStation, and PC, and in 2002 on the Game Boy Advance. The PlayStation release was in 2001 with the title Atari Anniversary Edition Redux, and it has a slightly altered game list.
On the PC, earlier titles were Atari Arcade Hits 1, released 5 July 1999, Atari Arcade Hits 2, released in 2000, and Atari Greatest Hits, also released in 2000. Atari Greatest Hits was basically both volumes of Atari Arcade Hits packaged together as a 2-CD set. In 2001, this set was re-packaged in a single CD under the Atari Anniversary Edition title. These releases make the original Microsoft Arcade obsolete.
The Game Boy Advance version, Atari Anniversary Advance, marked the debut of classic arcade emulation on the Game Boy Advance.
The following games are included in the pack. (For games that appear on the PC, volume number indicates which separate volume of Atari Arcade Hits initially included the game):
- Missile Command
- Super Breakout
- Black Widow (PS1 only)
- Space Duel (PS1 only)
Atari Anniversary Advance features all the games from the PC Atari Arcade Hits Volume 1, replacing Pong with Battlezone. It also includes "Tempest Tubes", an after-market level replacement hack, and features a "Trivia Challenge", a collection of questions about Atari and its 1980s video games.
- Asteroids Deluxe
- Crystal Castles (PC and DC only)
- Millipede (PC and DC only)
- Staff writer (2001). "Atari Anniversary Edition (Dreamcast)". Digital Eclipse. Archived from the original on 20 February 2006.
- Bottorf, James (25 July 1999). "Nostalgia games quickly lose edge". The Burlington Free Press. 172 (206). Burlington, Vermont. p. 3E – via Newspapers.com.
- Ruggill, Judd E; McAllister, Ken S (27 August 2015). Tempest: Geometries of Play. University of Michigan Press. p. 77. ISBN 978-0-472-05269-1.
- Lai, Shiuming (July 2003). "Review: Atari Anniversary Edition". MyAtari. Vol. 1 no. 33.
- Digital Eclipse page: Atari Arcade Hits 1, Atari Arcade Hits 2, Atari Anniversary Edition (Windows), Atari Anniversary Advance, Atari Anniversary Edition Redux
- Atari page: Atari Anniversary Edition (Windows)[dead link], Atari Anniversary Edition Advance, Atari Anniversary Edition Redux
- Atari Anniversary Edition at MobyGames