Avenue U (IND Culver Line)
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
|Address||Avenue U & McDonald Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11223
|Division||B (IND, formerly BMT)|
|Line||IND Culver Line|
|Services||F (all times)|
|Transit connections||NYCT Bus: B3|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Tracks||3 (2 in regular service)|
|Opened||May 10, 1919|
|Passengers (2015)||716,715 2.5%|
|Rank||391 out of 425|
|Next north||Kings Highway: F|
|Next south||Avenue X: F|
Avenue U is a local station on the IND Culver Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of Avenue U and McDonald Avenue in Gravesend, Brooklyn, it is served by the F train at all times.
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Northbound local||← toward Jamaica – 179th Street (Kings Highway)|
|Peak-direction express||→ does not stop here →|
|Southbound local||→ No regular service (Avenue X)|
|Side platform, being renovated until early 2017|
|M||Mezzanine||to entrances/exits, station agent, MetroCard vending machines|
This station has two side platforms and three tracks with the middle track unused in revenue service. The two platforms have beige windscreens and green canopies that run for nearly the entire length. The north end has black waist-level fences only. The platform signs consist of black boards with "Avenue U" in white lettering.
Stations along the three-tracked stretch of the Culver Line, including this station (excluding Ditmas Avenue, which had already been rehabilitated) are being renovated from June 7, 2016 to at least 2017, with the center track being used to bypass the portions of the stations that are under renovation. The entire cost of the station renewal project is $140 million.
This station has two entrances with the full-time one at the north end. From each platform, one staircase leads down to an elevated station-house beneath the tracks, where a bank of turnstiles and token booth are present. Outside fare control are two street stairs to the two northern corners Avenue U and McDonald Avenue.
At the south end of the station are unstaffed exits leading to Gravesend Neck Road. From each platform, a single staircase goes down to a short wooden landing outside of a sealed station house where a full-height turnstile and emergency gate provide exit from the system. Another staircase then goes down to the street. The Coney Island-bound side is exit-only while the Manhattan-bound side is HEET turnstile access. The station house, now used as an employee-only facility, was once opened to the public and had a booth.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Feasibility and Analysis of F Express Service in Brooklyn" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. May 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "Coney Island-bound F subway trains will not stop at Avenue I, Bay Pkwy, Avenue N, Avenue P, Avenue U, and Avenue X until early 2017". web.mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Coney Island" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avenue U (IND Culver Line).|
- nycsubway.org – BMT Culver Line: Avenue U
- Station Reporter — F train
- The Subway Nut — Avenue U Pictures
- Avenue U entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Gravesend Neck Road exit only from Google Maps Street View