Avon Valley National Park
|Avon Valley National Park
Avon river and Eastern Railway passing through the Avon Valley National Park
|Nearest town or city||Toodyay|
|Area||43.66 km2 (16.9 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Parks and Wildlife|
|Website||Avon Valley National Park|
|See also||List of protected areas of
Avon Valley is a national park in Western Australia (Australia) that is 47 kilometres northeast of Perth. It was named after the Avon River which flows through it. The area is an undulating plateau with the sides of the valley steeply sloping back to the river approximately 200 metres (660 ft) below. The area contains granite outcrops and a mix of soil types including loams, gravels and lateritic sands.
It was officially named on 15 October 1971.
Jarrah, Marri and Wandoo trees are found in the park along with 90 different species of birds making it an ideal place for bird watching. Christmas trees and grasstrees are interspersed through the woodlands.
In the springtime the park is visited by wildflower enthusiasts to view the a diverse range of flowers including dryandras, donkey orchids and lechenaultias. Other plants found in the area are Conostylis and the rare fringed lily are also found within the park.
The third route of the Eastern Railway is in parts the southern border of the park, on the southern side of the Avon River, and provides - at times of bushfires and other emergencies a track and point of access.
Entry and camping fees apply for visitors to the park. Toilets, water, shaded areas and wood barbecues are available for use. Trail signage and an information shelter are located within the park and a dedicated ranger is on site.
- "Department of Environment and Conservation 2009–2010 Annual Report". Department of Environment and Conservation. 2010: 48. ISSN 1835-114X. Archived from the original on 11 January 2011.
- "Total Travel - Avon Valley National Park". 2010. Archived from the original on 11 March 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "Naming of Avon Valley National Park (Reserve A30192) (per 682/64)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 15 October 1971. p. 1971:4023.
- "About Australia - Avon Valley National Park". 2008. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "Avon Valley National Park (Place ID 9998)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 2010. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "Experience Perth - Avon Valley National Park". 2009. Archived from the original on 13 August 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "Avon Valley National Park Guide" (PDF). 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 December 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "photo section has Avon Valley railway route photographs".