Francois Peron National Park
|Francois Peron National Park|
|Nearest town or city||Geraldton, Western Australia|
|Area||525.87 km2 (203.0 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Parks and Wildlife|
|Website||Francois Peron National Park|
|See also||List of protected areas of|
Francois Peron National Park is a national park on the Peron Peninsula in Western Australia, 726 km north of Perth, and located within the boundary of the Shark Bay World Heritage area. The nearest towns to the park are Denham, which is found on the southern edge of the park and Carnarvon which is found about 80 kilometres (50 mi) to the north.
Names and earlier uses
It is named after the French naturalist and explorer François Péron who was the zoologist aboard Nicolas Baudin's 1801 and 1803 scientific expeditions to Western Australia, and is situated within the bounds of the earlier pastoral lease of the Peron Station.
Locations from the French exploration era include:
- Guichenault (east coast of the Peron Peninsula)
- Cape Lesueur (west coast of the Peron Peninsula)
- Lake Montbazin
A pearling camp was established on the peninsula at Herald Bight in the 1880s and the remains of the shells can still be found along the beach.
It was gazetted on 8 January 1993 as a National Park – through the purchase of Peron Station (Pastoral Lease 3114/761) in 1990.
Picnic, boat launching and camping areas along the west coast of the Peninsula include:
- Big Lagoon
- Cape Lesueur
- Cattle Well
- South Gregories
- Bottle Bay
- "Department of Environment and Conservation 2009–2010 Annual Report". Department of Environment and Conservation. 2010: 48. ISSN 1835-114X. Archived from the original on 11 January 2011.
- "Francois Peron National Park Brochure". 2007. Archived from the original on 28 January 2011. Retrieved 29 May 2010.
- Map 4, and page 7 of Hancock, Sue, Brown, Paul and Stephens, Burke (2000) Shark Bay Terrestrial Reserves Management Plan 2000- 2009 Perth, Western Australia. Department of Conservation and Land Management for the National Parks and Nature Conservation Authority ISBN 0-7307-5510-X
- Edward Duyker François Péron: An Impetuous Life: Naturalist and Voyager, Miegunyah/MUP, Melb., 2006, pp. 349, ISBN 978-0-522-85260-8 [winner Frank Broeze Maritime History Prize, 2007].
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Francois Peron National Park.|