|Alsó-Hámor viewed from Szeleta cave.
|Highest point||Szilvási-kő (Southern peak of Kettős-bérc), 960,7 m|
The Bükk Mountains (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈbykː]; literally Beech Mountains) are a section of the North Hungarian Mountains of the Inner Western Carpathians. Much of the area is included in the Bükk National Park.
Although Kékes, the highest point in Hungary, is not here but in the nearby Mátra Mountains, the average height of the Bükk Mountains–with more than 20 peaks higher than 900 m–exceeds that of Mátra. The highest point of Bükk is Istállós-kő (959 m), third highest in Hungary after Kékes and Galyatető.
There are 1115 known caves in the mountain range, including Bányász-barlang (Miner cave, 274 m) and István-lápa (254 m), the deepest caves in Hungary, the archaeologically important Szeleta cave, the Cave Bath (a main tourist attraction of Miskolc-Tapolca), the Anna Cave, and the István Cave. 52 of the caves are protected because of their fauna and microclimate.
The mountain range is also famous for its skiing facilities located around Bánkút. There are a number of maintained ski slopes equipped with several J-bar lifts. The long traditions of skiing – on the racing and recreational levels – in Bükk are fostered by local enthusiasts constituting the "Bánkút Ski Club" also in charge of operating and developing one of the largest alpine ski centres in Hungary (http://www.bankut.hu).
- You can find the very latest informations about Hungarian caves here: "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-05-06. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- Lénárt, László (November 2006). "Karst water potential of Bükk area – environmental tasks for long term utilization" (PDF). Észak-magyarországi stratégiai füzetek. MTA Regionális Kutatások Központja. Series 3 (2). Retrieved 2009-03-30.[dead link]
- "Állami Ménesgazdaság Szilvásvárad". Állami Ménesgazdaság Szilvásvárad. Állami Ménesgazdaság Szilvásvárad. 2007. Archived from the original on 2009-01-04. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for B%C3%BCkk.|
- office miskolc/ARC show your card
- Bükk National Park
- Marcel Loubens Caving Club
- Accommodation in Bükk
|This Hungarian geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|