Badla (2019 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sujoy Ghosh|
|Written by||Sujoy Ghosh|
|Screenplay by||Sujoy Ghosh|
|Based on||The Invisible Guest by Oriol Paulo|
|Edited by||Monisha R. Baldawa|
Red Chillies Entertainment
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||est. ₹96.44 crore|
Badla (transl. Revenge) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language mystery thriller film directed by Sujoy Ghosh and starring Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu. Amrita Singh, Tony Luke, Manav Kaul, and Tanveer Ghani appear in supporting roles. The film is produced by Red Chillies Entertainment and Azure Entertainment, and is an official adaptation of the 2017 Spanish film The Invisible Guest. The story follows an interview between a lawyer and a businesswoman, in which the latter insists that she is wrongfully framed for the murder of her lover.
The film was released on 8 March 2019, and received generally positive reviews from critics. It has grossed over ₹96 crore (US$13 million) worldwide against a production budget of ₹10 crore (US$1.4 million) to emerge as a commercial success.
Naina Sethi (Taapsee Pannu), is a young successful businesswoman with a perfect family. Naina's world turns topsy-turvy when she gets arrested for the murder of her secret lover Arjun Joseph (Tony Luke). Her lawyer (Manav Kaul) hires prestigious defence attorney, Badal Gupta (Amitabh Bachchan) to defend her, and over the course of one late evening, they work together to find out what actually happened that fateful day.
- Amitabh Bachchan as Badal Gupta
- Taapsee Pannu as Naina Sethi
- Amrita Singh as Rani Kaur
- Tony Luke as Arjun Joseph 
- Manav Kaul as Jimmy Punjabi (Naina's lawyer)
- Tanveer Ghani as Nirmal “Nimbi” Singh Toor
- Denzil Smith as Detective Sodhi
- Antonio Aakeel as Sunny Singh Toor
- Shome Makhija as Sunil Sethi
Marketing and release
On 11 February 2019, Shah Rukh Khan, whose production house Red Chillies Entertainment is producing the film, tweeted two first look posters of the film, one with Bachchan's character and another with Pannu's. The film was released on International Women's Day, the 8 March 2019. The film was certified by British Board of Film Classification with runtime of 118 minutes.
Three unplugged innovative promotional videos which involved a conversation between Shah Rukh Khan and Amitabh Bachchan were launched on 3 March 2019, 6 March 2019 and 9 March 2019 respectively, which also featured Taapsee Pannu, to promote the film.
Main Sach Hi Toh Bol Rahi Hoon was published on 25 February 2019, Homework on 28 February 2019, Sab Ka Sach Alag Alag Hota Hai on 1 March 2019 & Mere Paas Teen Sawaal Hain was published on 7 March 2019 on YouTube, featuring Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu respectively.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has scored 75% based on 8 reviews with average rating of 6.5/10. Gaurang Chauhan reviewing for Times Now rates the film with three and half stars out of five and opines that Sujoy Ghosh has delivered yet another interesting, enticing and an edge of the seat mystery thriller. Rachit Gupta of The Times of India also rates the film with three and half stars out of five and finds that the film is a slick but predictable thriller with solid performances. He say, "Sujoy Ghosh’s Badla delivers solid thrills and some genuine twists with great effect." He feels that this whodunit film, keeps the viewer engaging and constantly guessing about the big reveal. Anupama Chopra of Film Companion gives two and half stars out of five with remarks, "Nothing is what it seems and there are many turns, but the film isn’t as clever as it thinks it is." and concludes the review as "Badla remains watchable until the end but it doesn’t become essential viewing."  Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV giving it three stars out of five, finds Amitabh Bachchan classy and Taapsee Pannu right on button in edgy thriller. Taran Adarsh gives the film three and half stars out of five and finds it captivating and star cast of film Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee and Amrita Singh brilliant.
In its opening weekend Badla collected ₹27.38 crore from domestic market. As of 18 March 2019[update] the domestic gross is ₹70.57 crore and overseas gross is ₹25.87 crore taking the worldwide gross collection to ₹96.44 crore.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||4 March 2019 |
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Amaal Mallik chronology|
|Anupam Roy chronology|
|Clinton Cerejo chronology|
The music of the film is composed by Amaal Mallik, Anupam Roy and Clinton Cerejo while the lyrics are penned by Kumaar, A. M. Turaz, Siddhant Kaushal, Manoj Yadav, Anupam Roy and Jizzy. Amitabh Bachchan, inspired by Ranveer Singh's Gully Boy, rapped the song "Aukaat".
|1.||"Kyun Rabba"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik||4:52|
|2.||"Aukaat"||Siddhant Kaushal, Jizzy||Clinton Cerejo||Amitabh Bachchan, Amit Mishra, Clinton Cerejo|
|3.||"Tum Na Aaye"||A. M. Turaz||Amaal Mallik||K. K.||2:59|
|4.||"Badla"||Manoj Yadav, Anupam Roy||Anupam Roy||Anupam Roy||4:08|
|5.||"Kyun Rabba" (Acoustic)||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik||3:34|
- "Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu starrer Badla to release on March 8, 2019".
- "Badla 2019 | British Board of Film Classification". Bbfc.co.uk. 5 March 2019.
- "Badla vs Captain Marvel - Box Office Collection Prediction: Amitabh Bachchan, Tapsee Pannu starrer to clash with Hollywood biggie". Zee Business. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Badla - Box office collection till now". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "'Badla' is a remake of a twist-laden Spanish thriller that invites viewers to guess the killer". Scroll.in. 23 January 2019.
- Bhushan, Nyay (19 June 2018). "Amitabh Bachchan to Star in Bollywood Remake of Spanish Thriller 'The Invisible Guest'". Hollywood Reporter.
- "Amitabh Bachchan is relieved shooting Badla after Brahmastra, to be 'finally away' from prosthetics". Hindustan Times. 2018-06-19. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Amitabh Bachchan announces new film with Sujoy Ghosh, titled Badla". Hindustan Times. 2018-06-16. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Badla (2019)". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Badla Emerges A Hit film". Box Office India. 16 March 2019. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- वर्मा, अनुप्रिया. "सारा अली खान के बाद अब मम्मा अमृता सिंह की बारी, लेने वाली हैं ऐसा बदला". Jagran (in Hindi). Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Gupta, Rachit (8 March 2019). "Badla cast and crew, review". Times of India. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Mankad, Himesh. "Malayalam actor Tony Luke is a part of Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu-starrer Badla". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Chauhan, Gaurang (8 March 2019). "Badla Movie Review: Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee and Amrita Singh shine in this twisted thriller by Sujoy Ghosh". Times Now News. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Ramnath, Nandini (8 March 2019). "Badla Movie Review". Scroll. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (8 March 2019). "Badla Movie Review". NDTV. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Amitabh Bachchan starts shooting for 'Badla' in Glasgow - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Amitabh Bachchan on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Badla FIRST LOOK out! Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu look intense in new posters, trailer out tomorrow | Bollywood News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (11 February 2019). "Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu... First look posters of #Badla... Trailer out tomorrow... Directed by Sujoy Ghosh... 8 March 2019 release. t.co/Ua52Rktelj" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Shah Rukh Khan-Amitabh Bachchan talk about 'Badla', unveil first posters on Twitter". Zee News. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Taapsee Pannu, Amitabh Bachchan's Badla to release on International Women's Day, Shah Rukh Khan might do a cameo". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (5 March 2019). "#CensorNews: #Badla certified 12A by British censors on 5 March 2019. Approved run time: 118 min, 15 sec [1 hour, 58 minutes, 15 seconds]. #Overseas #UK" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Red Chillies Entertainment. "Badla - Official Trailer - Amitabh Bachchan - Taapsee Pannu - Sujoy Ghosh - 8th March 2019". YouTube. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Red Chillies Entertainment (3 March 2019). "Unplugged Episode 1". YouTube. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Red Chillies Entertainment (6 March 2019). "Unplugged Episode 2". YouTube. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Promos on YouTube".
- "Badla (2019)". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Chopra, Anupama (8 March 2019). "Badla Movie Review: Watchable, But Not Essential Viewing". Film Companion. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Badla Movie Review: Amitabh Bachchan Is Classy, Taapsee Pannu Is Right On Button In Edgy Thriller". NDTV. 8 March 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (8 March 2019). "#OneWordReview… #Badla: CAPTIVATING! Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️½ An edge-of-the-seat thriller with incredible suspense... Well-knit screenplay keeps you hooked... Sujoy Ghosh crafts the whodunnit with expertise... Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee and Amrita Singh, all brilliant. #BadlaReview t.co/MdUjbigtPc" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (11 March 2019). "#Badla is a success story... Glowing word of mouth converts into footfalls, consolidates its BO status... Metros/multiplexes splendid... Tier-2 cities join the party on Day 2 and 3... Fri 5.04 cr, Sat 8.55 cr, Sun 9.61 cr. Total: ₹ 23.20 cr. India biz. Gross BOC: ₹ 27.38 cr" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Badla - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "Amitabh Bachchan gets inspired by Ranveer Singh, RAPS for Badla". Bollywood Hungama. 2019-02-28. Retrieved 2019-03-05.