Bailey Road, Patna
the Bihar Museum as seen from Bailey Road
|• Spoken||Hindi, English, Magadhi|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Planning agency||Patna Metropolitan Area Authority|
|Civic agency||Patna Municipal Corporation|
Nehru Path (more commonly known as Bailey Road) is a road and neighbourhood in Patna, India. It connects Patna with Danapur. It roughly starts from Income Tax Golambar and ends in Danapur, running through the heart of the city. It is one of the most important roads in the city. Many important landmarks like Patna High Court, Patna Women's College, Patna Secretariat, Patna Zoo, Patna Airport, Bihar Museum etc. are situated beside or near to this road. Bailey Road was officially renamed as Jawahar Lal Nehru Marg, but this road is still widely known as Bailey Road. Now, this road has been renamed as Nehru Path by the government of Bihar. This area is served by Shastrinagar Police Station of Patna Police.
Under the British Raj, Patna gradually started to attain its lost glory and emerged as an important and strategic centre of learning and trade in India. When the Bengal Presidency was partitioned in 1912 to carve out a separate province, Patna was made the capital of the new province of Bihar and Orissa. The city limits were stretched westwards to accommodate the administrative base, and the township of Bankipore took shape along the Bailey Road (originally spelt as Bayley Road, after the first Lt. Governor of Bihar and Orissa, Sir Steuart Colvin Bayley). This area was called the New Capital Area.
- Patna Planetarium
- Income tax Office
- Mount Carmel High School, Patna
- J.D. Womens College, Patna
- Patna Women's College
- Eco Park
- Bihar Public Service Commission Office
- Patna Zoo
- Patna Golf Club
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Bailey Road
- Paras hospital
- Delhi Public School, Patna (Junior wing)
- Bihar Museum
- Patna High Court
- Patliputra Junction
- 225 crore for renovation of 5 roads sanctioned The Times of India. Retrieved 27 Sep 2012
- Nitish Kumar opens work on Rs 530-crore museum The Times of India. Retrieved 10 July 2013
- "Times change, road names stay put". The Telegraph. 2 December 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Bailey Road renamed as Nehru Path". The Times of India. 26 September 2019. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Bihar History iloveindia.com
- "KV Bailey Road". Archived from the original on 16 November 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Construction of Bihar Museum at Bailey Road Patna Archived 10 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine PDF
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 April 2015. Retrieved 13 April 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)