Yongguk at the K-Pop World Festival in 2013
March 31, 1990
Incheon, South Korea
|Other names||Jepp Blackman|
|Revised Romanization||Bang Yong-guk|
Bang Yong-guk (born March 31, 1990), better known mononymously as Yongguk, is a South Korean rapper, songwriter and producer. He is best known as the leader of the South Korean boy group B.A.P under TS Entertainment.
He made his musical debut in 2007 as a member of an underground hip-hop group called Soul Connection under the alias of "Jepp Blackman". In March 2011, he featured on Song Jieun's single "Going Crazy", which became a number one hit in South Korea. In July of that year he released his first solo digital single, "I Remember", featuring BEAST's Yoseob, and in November he promoted in a sub-unit called Bang&Zelo with fellow B.A.P member Zelo, releasing the single "Never Give Up". B.A.P released their first single in January 2012.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Artistry and influences
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
1990–2010: Early life and career beginnings
Bang Yong-guk was born in Incheon, South Korea, on March 31, 1990. He has an identical twin brother named Yongnam, who has also performed as an underground artist, and an older sister named Natasha. He was not able to talk until he was five years old.
He moved with his family to the coastal Ijak islands of Incheon when he was young, living there for a short period of time before moving back to mainland Incheon. He studied at Gae Woong Elementary School and Gae Woong Middle School, and at 18 graduated from Yuhan High School.
In 2008, he was a member of underground hip hop group called "Soul Connection" under the stage name of "Jepp Blackman" and the group released a single entitled "Cherry Flower". He was introduced to TS Entertainment by the members of South Korean hip hop duo Untouchable and entered the company, where he trained for six years before the debut of B.A.P.
2011: "Going Crazy", "I Remember" and Bang&Zelo
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
On March 3, 2011, Song Jieun's single "Going Crazy" was released, featuring Bang Yong-guk. The single was a commercial and critical success, with fans praising Yongguk's "husky and fiery delivery". It topped the Gaon Chart and Gaon Digital and Streaming Chart and gained attention for Yongguk as an artist; following the single's release, he trended on major portal search sites in South Korea and was requested for multiple broadcast appearances. However, his agency declined these appearances, stating that he was still a trainee and not ready to appear on broadcasts outside of promotional performances. The agency thanked fans for their interest nevertheless.
On August 11, TS Entertainment released Yongguk's single "I Remember", featuring Yang Yoseob of B2ST. The song was a moderate success, peaking in the Top 10 on real time charts in Korea and at #22 on the Gaon Chart. However, the single was deemed unfit for broadcast promotions by KBS because of multiple scenes of shooting and violence.
Yongguk was the first member to be announced as part of new TS Entertainment boy group B.A.P, of which he acts as the leader and main rapper. The group released its first single, "Warrior", in January 2012. They held their debut showcase in Seoul with over 3,000 attendees on January 28. The single met with critical acclaim, with media outlets describing the single as "powerful and charismatic".
The following year, Yongguk performed at the 2013 SBS Gayo Daejeon as part of a collaborative hip-hop stage featuring Tiger JK, Yoon Mirae, and Bizzy and also including Zico, Rap Monster and Eun Jiwon.
On November 27, 2014, it was reported that all B.A.P members had filed a lawsuit against their label to nullify their contracts, claiming unfair conditions and profit distribution. The group entered a hiatus, although on 4 April 2015, Yongguk released a solo song titled "AM 4:44".
On August 1, 2015, it was revealed that B.A.P had reached an agreement with and returned to TS Entertainment. B.A.P made their comeback in November 2015 with the mini-album Matrix, produced and written by Yongguk.
Artistry and influences
Yongguk is predominantly a hip-hop artist and cites 50 Cent, P. Diddy, and Pharrell as musical influences. Although his goal was not initially to become a K-pop artist, he was influenced by the roles that Supreme Team and Dynamic Duo played in popularizing the genre in South Korea.
See also: B.A.P discography
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|2008||"Cherry Flower" (with Soul Connection)||—|
|2011||"I Remember" (featuring Yang Yoseob)||22|
|"Never Give Up" (with Bang&Zelo)||65|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
As a featured artist
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2011||"Going Crazy" (with Song Jieun)||1||Digital single|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
See also: B.A.P music videos
|"Never Give Up"||4:27|
|2012||"For A Year"||5:02|
|2011||Mr. Idol||Cameo||Himself with Kim Him Chan|
|2011||MBC||Lullu Lalla (일밤 룰루랄라 예고편)||Himself||Regular cast|
|2012||SBS MTV||Ta-dah It's B.A.P||Himself||Regular cast|
|Mnet||B.A.P's Killing Camp||Himself||Regular cast|
Music video appearances
|2011||Going Crazy||Song Jieun||Stalker Guy|
|Shy Boy||Secret||Shy boy|
|Starlight Moonlight||Secret||Ticket seller|
|Never Give Up||Bang&Zelo||Student|
|2012||One Year||ZIA||Angry Boy|
|2012||Mnet||M! Countdown||Guest MC||With B.A.P, RT M! Countdown (2012-02-23)|
Awards and nominations
|2014||Shorty Awards||Social Media's Best Musician||Nominated|
|2015||KMC Radio Awards||Idol of the Year||Won|
|2015||Shorty Awards||Social Media's Best Musician||Nominated|
- "B.A.P Profile". KBS World. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-09). "(INTERVIEW) B.A.P Bang Yong-guk, Him Chan". 10asia. 10아시아. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "TS Entertainment reveals past photos of Ji Eun's rapper, Bang Yongguk". Newsen. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Choi Se-Jung (2012-02-23). "「B.A.P」を探れ！～アナザー・エピソード 1～". Korean Pia News (in Korean). PIA Corporation. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "SECRET's Song Ji Eun & Bang Yongguk share their feelings on concluding "Going Crazy"". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Lee, Hyo-jin (March 18, 2011). 시크릿 송지은, 가온차트 1위 ′돌풍′ [Secret's Song Ji-eun "blasts" to Gaon Chart number one]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "SECRET's Song Ji Eun releases her "Going Crazy" MV". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- 시크릿 송지은'‘미친거니' 참여 훈남 래퍼는 누구?! (in Korean). Nate (SK Communications). Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Bang Yongguk unleashes powerful MV for "I Remember"". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Bang Yongguk lands in the Top 10 with "I Remember"". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Bang Yongguk's "I Remember" MV deemed unfit for broadcast". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "TS Entertainment introduces Zelo, Bang Yongguk's sub-unit partner". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Bang & Zelo release "Never Give Up" MV". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Park, HyunMin (December 19, 2011). "Bang Yongguk & Zelo to Debut with B.A.P". enewsworld. CJ E&M. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Lee, Ellie (January 3, 2012). "WHO IS B.A.P?". MTVK. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Celebrity - Bang Yong Gook Profile". KpopStarz.com. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Park, HyunMin (January 30, 2012). "B.A.P Brings in Big Crowds for Its Debut Showcase". enewsworld. CJ E&M. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- 2012년 빛낼 아이돌 출격 임박..'신고 합니다!' (in Korean). Star News. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Xu, Tina (January 25, 2012). "B.A.P MAKES LONG AWAITED DEBUT WITH "WARRIOR"". MTV Korea. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Tiger JK, Yoonmirae, and Bizzy Performs at SBS Gayo Daejun 2013". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Bang Yong Guk to take hiatus due to anxiety disorder + B.A.P to promote as 5 | allkpop.com". allkpop. Retrieved 2016-12-18.
- "Exclusive interview with Bang & Zelo!". Daily Kpop News. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Hwang, Mi-Hyeon (2012-02-06). "B.A.P "지구정복! 결코 헛된 꿈이 아니랍니다"(인터뷰)" [B.A.P is determined to conquer the world with their music]. OSEN (in Korean). Intigram. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "B.A.P is determined to conquer the world with their music". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Gaon chart search". Gaon. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- on YouTube