Beach Fossils performing live at SXSW
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York|
|Genres||Indie rock, shoegaze, lo-fi, dream pop, indie pop, surf rock|
Bayonet Records
|Associated acts||Heavenly Beat, DIIV, Wild Nothing|
Beach Fossils are an American indie rock band from Brooklyn, New York, formed in 2009. The group currently includes Dustin Payseur, Tommy Gardner, Jack Doyle Smith and Tommy Davidson. They are known for their lo-fi, atmospheric sound and Payseur's vocal style.
Formed in 2009, the act was originally a means to expand the solo project of Dustin Payseur, whose full name is James Dustin Payseur. That same year, bassist John Peña and guitarist Christopher Burke were recruited, followed by Zachary Cole Smith on drums. Their debut single, Daydream/Desert Sand was released in February 2010 on Captured Tracks. In May 2010, their self-titled debut album was released, and met with favorable reviews.
The following years saw a number of changes to their lineup. In 2010 Christopher Burke left the band, followed by John Peña in 2011, who was replaced by Jack Doyle Smith. Peña formed Heavenly Beat, and Cole Smith left for his solo project, DIIV. Tommy Gardner stepped in as the drummer and Tommy Davidson joined on guitar to complete their current lineup. Clash the Truth was released in early 2013, peaking at number 40 on the Independent Albums chart.
In 2016, Beach Fossils will star in supporting roles in the HBO television series, Vinyl. Beach Fossils are currently writing and recording their forthcoming album to be released on Dustin's own record label Bayonet. As of now, a release date is TBD.
- Beach Fossils (2010)
- Clash the Truth (2013)
Singles and EPs
- Daydream (2010)
- Face It (2010)
- What a Pleasure EP (2011)
- Careless (2012)
- Shallow (2012)
- Reges, Margarettitle=Beach Fossils. AllMusic http://www.allmusic.com/artist/beach-fossils-mn0002400570. Retrieved 7 July 2013. Missing or empty
- "Beach Fossils Review". BBC Music. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Levine, Matthew. "Beach Fossils @ Bowery Ballroom: February 23, 2013". CMJ. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Sendra, Tim. "Beach Fossils - Beach Fossils". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Cosores, Philip. "Beach Fossils: Clash the Truth". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Brelhan, Tom. "Beach Fossils – "Careless"". Stereogum. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Cohen, Ian. "Beach Fossils: Clash the Truth". Pitchfork. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "BEACH FOSSILS". Elastic Artists. Archived from the original on 29 May 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Beach Fossils". Billboard. Retrieved 7 July 2013.