Ben Warren (Australian rules footballer)
|Full name||Ben Warren|
|Date of birth||11 February 1989|
|Place of birth||Queensland|
|Original team(s)||Zillmere Eagles (QAFL)|
|Draft||No. 69, 2006 National Draft, Kangaroos|
|Height / weight||186cm / 89kg|
|Current club||Werribee Tigers (VFL)|
|2009–2012||North Melbourne||29 (34)|
|Werribee Tigers (VFL)||50 (118)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of Round 10 2012.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Recruited from the Zillmere Eagles in Queensland at pick 69 in the 2006 AFL Draft by North Melbourne. Warren spent two years in development, playing in the VFL, for Tasmania in 2007 and Werribee in 2008, before making his senior AFL debut for North Melbourne in Round 4, 2009. Warren impressed coaching staff of the club with his performances, especially his four-goal haul against Brisbane at Etihad Stadium in Round 10. Warren played nine consecutive games after his debut, but broke his leg in Round 13 and missed the rest of the season. Despite his broken leg, Warren was re-signed by North Melbourne in August 2009, with list manager, Cameron Joyce, stating that "It was a priority for us to lock Ben in", due to interest being shown in the Queensland native from the new Gold Coast team.
The 2010 season became Warren's best, having his best pre-season, and playing 16 matches, kicking 21 goals. He only played three games in 2011, and only a single game from the first ten in 2012, despite being the leading goalkicker for North Melbourne's reserves team, the Werribee Football Club in the Victorian Football League.
Warren was delisted by North Melbourne at the end of the 2012 season. He continued playing with Werribee after being delisted, and he was the leading goalkicker in the completed 2013 VFL season including finals with 59 goals (he finished third in the league's goalkicking award, the Frosty Miller Medal which is based on home-and-away goals only).
- Lavell, Steve. (14 August 2009) "North re-signs four young guns" Archived 23 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.. North Melbourne FC. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Lavell, Steve. (1 February 2010) "Warren strides forward". North Melbourne FC. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Williams, Rebecca (29 June 2009). "No fairytale for North Melbourne coach Darren Crocker". Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- VFL Leading Goalkickers
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 November 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "2013 Peter Jackson VFL". Fox Sports Pulse. Retrieved 30 August 2015.