Diocese of Yukon
|Diocese of Yukon|
|Ecclesiastical province||British Columbia and Yukon|
|Cathedral||Christ Church Cathedral, Whitehorse|
|Bishop||Larry D. Robertson|
The Anglican Diocese of Yukon is a diocese of the Ecclesiastical Province of British Columbia and Yukon of the Anglican Church of Canada. It comprises 14 congregations serving 24 communities in the Yukon and parts of northern British Columbia.
The Diocese was formed in 1891 when the Diocese of Mackenzie River, at that time in the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land, was divided into two. Originally the Diocese of Selkirk, the name of the diocese was changed to Yukon in 1907. It was transferred to its present province in 1947.
The diocesan bishop since 1995 has been Terrence Buckle, who was also Metropolitan of the Province of British Columbia and Yukon from 2005–2009. In November 2007 Buckle announced his intention to retire at the end of 2008 but following an inconclusive election synod postponed his retirement plans. He will now retire in August 2010.
On May 15, 2010, Larry D. Robertson, since 1999 suffragan bishop in the western region of the Diocese of the Arctic, was elected Bishop of Yukon. He was installed at Christ Church Cathedral in Whitehorse on September 18, 2010.
In January 2009, Ronald Ferris, former Bishop of Yukon (1981-1995) and subsequently Bishop of Algoma (1995-2008) resigned from the Anglican Church of Canada to continue as a bishop in the Anglican Network in Canada.
Bishops of Selkirk
Bishops of Yukon
- Isaac Stringer, Bishop of Yukon, 1907–1931; Bishop of Rupert's Land, 1931–1934 and Metropolitan of Rupert’s Land, 1931–1934
- Arthur Sovereign (1932); afterwards Bishop of Athabasca, 1933–1950
- William Geddes, 1934–1947
- Walter Adams, 1947–1952; Metropolitan of British Columbia & Yukon, 1947–1952 & first titled Archbishop
- Tom Greenwood (1952–1962)
- Henry Marsh, 1962–1967
- John Frame, 1968–1981
- Ron Ferris, 1981–1995
- Terry Buckle, 1995–2010; Metropolitan of British Columbia & Yukon, 2005–2009
- Larry Robertson, 2010–present
Deans of Yukon
The Dean of Yukon is also Rector of Christ Church Cathedral, Whitehorse
Source: Christ Church Cathedral
- 1978–1982: Kenneth Coben Snider (1st Dean)
- 1982–1984: Leonard Mack McFerran
- 1985–2001: Desmond Fredrick Carroll
- 2002–2008: John “Peter” Williams
- 2010–present: Sean Murphy
- Diocesan website
- "Inventory to the ANGLICAN CHURCH, DIOCESE OF YUKON RECORDS" (PDF). Yukon Archives. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- Anglican Journal article November 2007
- Anglican Journal item, May 19, 2010