Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell album)
|Both Sides Now|
|Studio album by Joni Mitchell|
|Released||February 8, 2000|
|Studio||Air Studios, Hampstead, London, United Kingdom|
|Genre||Vocal jazz, torch songs|
|Producer||Joni Mitchell, Larry Klein|
|Joni Mitchell chronology|
Both Sides Now is a concept album by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell released in 2000. It is her 17th studio album. The album won two Grammy awards in 2001 for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album and Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) for the song "Both Sides, Now".
It traces the progress of the modern relationship through Mitchell's orchestral renditions of classic jazz songs. Two of Mitchell's own songs are also included, "A Case of You" (1971) and "Both Sides, Now" (1969). The orchestra was arranged and conducted by Vince Mendoza.
In the liner notes, co-producer Larry Klein describes the album as "a programmatic suite documenting a relationship from initial flirtation through optimistic consummation, metamorphosing into disillusionment, ironic despair, and finally resolving in the philosophical overview of acceptance and the probability of the cycle repeating itself".
A limited run of copies were released on February 8, 2000, in special chocolate-box packaging for Valentine's Day, including several lithographs of original Mitchell paintings. A regular jewel-case edition was released on March 20, 2000. Both Sides Now is also available on DVD-Audio. As of December 2007[update], the album had sold 323,000 copies in the United States 
On the concert tour tie-in to this album, Mitchell performed the songs in the same sequence, but opened with an overture, "Nuages" – the first movement from Nocturnes, an orchestral suite composed by French composer Claude Debussy. "Nuages" is the French word for "clouds". While the music certainly sets a romantic mood, the usage of this piece can be seen as a clever pun, since Clouds is also the name of the album on which the song "Both Sides, Now" made its original appearance.
|1.||"You're My Thrill"||lyrics: Sidney Clare; music: Jay Gorney||3:52|
|2.||"At Last"||Mack Gordon, Harry Warren||4:28|
|3.||"Comes Love"||Lew Brown, Sam H. Stept, Charles Tobias||4:29|
|4.||"You've Changed"||Bill Carey, Carl Fischer||5:00|
|5.||"Answer Me, My Love"||Fred Rauch, Gerhard Winkler; English lyrics: Carl Sigman||3:23|
|6.||"A Case of You"||Joni Mitchell||5:52|
|7.||"Don't Go to Strangers"||Redd Evans, Arthur Kent, David Mann||4:10|
|8.||"Sometimes I'm Happy"||Irving Caesar, Clifford Grey, Vincent Youmans||3:58|
|9.||"Don't Worry 'bout Me"||Rube Bloom, Ted Koehler||3:49|
|10.||"Stormy Weather"||Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler||3:07|
|11.||"I Wish I Were in Love Again"||Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers||3:36|
|12.||"Both Sides, Now"||Joni Mitchell||5:45|
- Joni Mitchell – vocals
- Mark Isham – trumpet, solo
- John Anderson – oboe
- Sue Bohling – oboe, cor Anglais
- Julie Andrews, Gavin McNaughton – bassoon
- Richard Skinner – contrabassoon
- Nicholas Bucknall – clarinet
- Stan Sulzmann – clarinet, flute
- Philip Todd – clarinet, flute, alto flute
- Jamie Talbot – clarinet, flute, alto flute, alto saxophone
- Anthony Pike – clarinet, bass clarinet
- Iain Dixon – clarinet, bass clarinet
- Andrew Findon, Helen Keen – flute
- Antonia Fuchs, Ben Cruft, Boguslaw Kostecki, Cathy Thompson, Chris Tombling, David Woodcock, Dermot Crehan, Everton Nelson, Godfrey Salmon, Jackie Shave, Jim McLeod, Jonathan Strange, Julian Leaper, Katherine Shave, Maciej Rakowski, Matthew Scrivener, Michael McMenemy, Patrick Kiernan, Perry Montague-Mason, Peter Oxer, Rebecca Hirsch, Rita Manning, Roger Garland, Simon Fischer, Vaughn Armon, Warren Zielinski, Wilf Gibson – violin
- Bill Benham, Bruce White, Catherine Bradshaw, Donald McVay, Ivo Van Der Werff, Katie Wilkinson, Peter Lale, Rachel Bolt – viola
- Anthony Pleeth, Davd Daniels, Frank Schaefer, Helen Liebmann, Martin Loveday, Paul Kegg, Tony Lewis – cello
- Hugh Seenan, John Pigneguy, Michael Thompson, Nigel Black, Paul Gardham, Philip Eastop, Richard Watkins – horn
- Andy Crowley, Derek Watkins, Gerard Presencer, John Barclay, Steve Sidwell – trumpet
- Neil Sidwell, Pete Beachill, Peter Davies, Richard Edwards – trombone
- Wayne Shorter – soprano, tenor saxophone
- Owen Slade – tuba
- Richard Henry, Dave Stewart – bass trombone
- Peter Erskine – drums
- Chris Laurence – double bass
- Chuck Berghofer, Mary Scully, Mike Brittain – bass guitar
- Frank Ricotti – percussion
- Herbie Hancock, Dave Arch – piano
- Skaila Kanga – harp
- Gavyn Wright – concertmaster, violin
- Vince Mendoza – arranger, conductor
- Gordon Jenkins – arranger, conductor on "Stormy Weather"
- Joni Mitchell – cover art
- Ruhlmann, W. "Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Christgau, R. "Robert Christgau: CG: joni mitchell". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Moon, Tom. "Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on January 24, 2009. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Caulfield, Keith (21 December 2007). "Ask Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved 19 May 2018.