British Caving Association
|Predecessor||National Caving Association|
The British Speleological Association (BSA) was founded in 1935, but this was not a national governing body. The National Caving Association (NCA) was established in 1968 as the first governing body, recognised by the Sports Council. However, the British Cave Research Association, the successor to the BSA, continued perform some 'national body' functions after its formation in 1973.
The NCA existed until 2005 when it passed its responsibilities to the British Caving Association, which had been established the prior year. At the same time, the BCA also took over 'national body' functions from the British Cave Research Association.
The membership of the BCA is composed of Constituent Bodies, Regional Councils, clubs and individuals.
The Constituent Bodies are:
- Association of Caving Instructors (ACI)
- Association of Scout Caving Teams (ASCT)
- British Cave Research Association (BCRA)
- British Cave Rescue Council (BCRC)
- Cave Diving Group (CDG)
- Council of Higher Education Caving Clubs (CHECC)
- National Association of Mining History Organisations (NAMHO)
- William Pengelly Cave Studies Trust (WPCST)
The Regional Councils are:
- Cambrian Caving Council - responsible for Wales, The Marches and The Royal Forest of Dean.
- Council of Northern Caving Clubs - responsible for the north of Britain.
- Council of Southern Caving Clubs - responsible for the Mendip Hills, West Wiltshire and The Isle of Portland.
- Derbyshire Caving Association - responsible for the Peak District, South Yorkshire, North Notts and Cheshire.
- Devon & Cornwall Underground Council - responsible for Devon & Cornwall.
- "Newsletter" (PDF). British Caving Association. 1. July 2004.
- "BCA Newsletter No 35 - January 2019". British Caving Association. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Sporting activities and Governing Bodies recognised by the Sports Councils" (PDF). UK Sport. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "BCRA Information". bcra.org.uk. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "National Caving Association". British Cave Research Association. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "The Formation of BCRA". bcra.org.uk. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "Structure". British Caving Association. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- Association of Caving Instructors
- Association of Scout Caving Teams
- British Cave Research Association
- British Cave Rescue Council
- Cave Diving Group of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
- Council of Higher Education Caving Clubs
- National Association of Mining History Organisations
- The William Pengelly Cave Studies Trust