|City of license||Elliot Lake, Ontario|
|Broadcast area||Algoma District, Little Current and Manitoulin Island|
|Repeaters||CKNR-FM-1 98.7 MHz Elliot Lake|
|First air date||1967|
|ERP||CKNR-FM: 90 kilowatts
CKNR-FM-1: 50 watts
|Former callsigns||CKNR (1967-March 3, 1997)|
|Former frequencies||1340 KHz(1967-March 3, 1997)|
|Owner||Vista Broadcast Group|
The station first aired in 1967 at AM 1340, and was owned by Algonquin Broadcasting. CKNR had two sister stations, AM 930 CKNS in Espanola (established in 1976) and AM 730 CJNR in Blind River (actually the oldest of the three, first established in 1958.) Huron Broadcasting acquired the stations in 1976.
In 1986, CJNR and CKNS were given approval to amend their broadcasting licences, by deleting the condition of licence which required these stations to operate as affiliates of the CBC's English-language AM radio network.
North Channel Broadcasting acquired the stations from Pelmorex in 1996, and converted CKNR to FM 94.1 MHz on March 3, 1997 with a transmitter on Manitoulin Island. Due to the station's signal strength (it can be heard as far as Sudbury and into Michigan's eastern Upper Peninsula), the CJNR and CKNS signals were both discontinued.
On April 23, 2012 Vista Broadcast Group, which owns a number of radio stations in western Canada, announced a deal to acquire Haliburton Broadcasting, in cooperation with Westerkirk Capital. The transaction was approved by the CRTC on October 19, 2012.
Although officially licensed to Elliot Lake, the primary transmitter is located closer to Little Current (approximately 80 km to the southeast of the city), and parts of the city of Elliot Lake itself consequently do not receive an adequate signal on the 94.1 frequency. On July 9, 2007 CKNR applied to re-broadcast their FM signal at 98.7 MHz to serve the population of Elliot Lake and received CRTC approval on August 24, 2007.
- CKNR-FM-1 98.7 FM Elliot Lake 50 watts.
- Decision CRTC 86-205
- Decision CRTC 85-146
- Decision CRTC 90-676
- Decision CRTC 90-1111
- CRTC decision 1996-396
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2004-114
- "Westerkirk Capital Acquires Vista and Haliburton Broadcast Groups". Broadcaster, April 26, 2012.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-577 Various radio programming undertakings – Acquisition of assets, CRTC, October 19, 2012
- CRTC decision 2007-330
- CKNR history at Canadian Communications Foundation
- CJNR history (defunct) at Canadian Communications Foundation
- CKNS history (defunct) at Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CKNR-FM