Provincia de Cachapoal
Location in the Libertador General Bernardo O'Higgins Region
|Region||Libertador General Bernardo O'Higgins Region|
|• Governor||Marie Jeane Lyon Amand de Mendieta|
|• Total||7,384.2 km2 (2,851.1 sq mi)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||81/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||country 56 + area 72|
|Website||Government of Cachapoal|
Geography and demography
According to the 2002 census by the National Statistics Institute (INE), the province spans an area of 7,384.2 km2 (2,851 sq mi) and had a population of 542,901 inhabitants (271,226 men and 271,675 women), giving it a population density of 73.5/km2 (190/sq mi). It is the fifth most populated province in the country. Between the 1992 and 2002 censuses, the population grew by 13.8% (65,871 persons).
Cachapoal Valley wine region
Located 85 km (53 mi) south of Santiago, Cachapoal Valley is a wine growing area in Cachapoal in the O`Higgins Region of central Chile, to the north of the Rapel Valley. It is located between the heights of Paine to the north and Pelequén to the south, and between the Andes to the west and the smaller coastal range to the east. The valley takes its name from the Cachapoal River that flows through Rapel Valley along with its tributaries, the Claro and Cortaderal rivers. All these watercourses flow into Lake Rapel.
Most of Cachapoal's noteworthy wineries and vineyards are located towards the east of the region, in the foothills of the Andes, away from the warmer valley floor. This is an area for Cabernet Sauvignon vines, while closer to the coast, where the ocean breezes flow through the coastal range, has more Carménère vines.
- "Territorial division of Chile" (PDF) (in Spanish). National Statistics Institute. 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- Regions, Cachapoal Valley Published by Wine-Searcher.com | Last updated 21-Aug-2013 by Wine-Searcher Staff retrieved October 22, 2013
- (in Spanish) Gobernación de Cachapoal