Camden Fairview High School
|Camden Fairview High School|
|1750 Cash Road
Camden, Arkansas 71701
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Camden Fairview School District|
|NCES School ID||050606000312|
|Athletics conference||5A South (2012–14)|
|Team name||Camden Fairview Cardinals|
|Website||Camden Fairview High School|
Camden Fairview High School is a secondary school located in Camden, Arkansas, United States. The school is a part of the Camden Fairview School District. The school houses grades 9 through 12. With an approximate enrollment of more than 750, the school is the largest in Camden. The current principal is Gary Steelman.
Camden Fairview High School was created by a merger of two schools: Camden High School and Fairview High School. The Fairview School annexed Camden High and Camden Fairview was created.
The assumed course of study for students is to follow the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). Students complete regular (core and career focus) courses and exams and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that provide an opportunity for college credit.
The mascot of Camden Fairview is the Cardinal with the school colors of red and white.
The Camden Fairview Cardinals compete in the 5A South Conference administered by the Arkansas Activities Association (AAA) in interscholastic teams for football, boys basketball, girls basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball.
Fairview High School won the boys state basketball championship in 1983. As Camden High School, the boys golf team has won eight state championships between 1972 and 1984, including four consecutive titles (1972, 1973, 1974, 1975). The girls track and field teams have won eight state track titles (1993, 1998, 2005–06, 2010–13) including four consecutive banners (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013) coached by Carlos Tucker. The boys track and field teams have lifted the state championship trophy six times between 1948 and 1974. The Lady Cardinal Basketball team took home the school's first girls state championship in 2007 completing the season undefeated at 31-0 coached by Ronald Rogers and took state over Morrilton and Shekinna Strickland once again in 2008. In 2009, the Cardinals football team were the runner-up in the 5A state football championship. In 2012, the Cardinal football team won the 5A State Championship.
Clubs and traditions
The Camden Fairview Band has received Excellent and Superior awards in state competitions. Camden Fairview also has an acclaimed yearbook (the Cardinal), newspaper and broadcast media staff and publications that has won awards presented by the Arkansas Scholastic Press Association and the Southern Interscholastic Press Association.
- Shawn Andrews, American football offensive lineman for the New York Giants
- Stacy Andrews, American football offensive lineman for the Seattle Seahawks
- Tom Crowder, American football wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys
- Andre Patterson, American football defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Camden Fairview High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "2012-14 AAA Conferences" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "2012-13 Record Book" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 May 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "Camden Fairview Band Students Win Awards". Camden News (18 May 2010 edition). Retrieved 6 September 2012.[dead link]
- "CF media wins big at state's Press Association competition". Camden News. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "2010 Awards List". Southern Interscholastic Press Association. Retrieved 6 September 2012.