Century High School (Oregon)
|Century High School|
|2000 SE Century Blvd.|
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsboro School District 1J|
|Color(s)||Black, teal, and silver|
|Website||Century High School|
Century High School is located in Hillsboro, Oregon, United States. It was built in 1997. Its principal is Martha Guise. The school's mascot is the jaguar, and its colors are black, teal, and silver. As of 2016, the school's graduation rate was 86%.
In 2008, 85% of the school's seniors received their high school diploma. Of 390 students, 330 graduated, 31 dropped out, five received a modified diploma, and 24 were still in high school the following year.
Several Certificate of Advanced Mastery (CAM) courses are available at Century, including Health Services, Digital Technology, PAC (Professions Assisting the Community), Business, and FAME (Fine Arts). Students choose their CAM in their junior year and start taking the prerequisites for the classes. The CAM classes give students time to work on their senior project, which must be completed before they can graduate.
The CIM (Certificate of Initial Mastery) is an acknowledgment that a student has met rigorous standards by acquiring skills in several academic areas. Both CIM and CAM requirements are being phased out of the Hillsboro School District.
In 2014, Century's girls' swimming team took first place in the state of Oregon, the second state championship of any sport in the school.
There have also been several individual triumphs in the state championships in track and field. In 2012, Century placed first in women's long jump, second in women's high jump, and second in women's pole vault.
Century high school also has teams in cheerleading, cross country, dance, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, basketball, baseball, golf, lacrosse (club sport) and tennis.
Speech and debate
Band and Colorguard
The Century High School band is led by Director Jim Dunlop. The Winter Percussion Ensemble has gone to the Winter Guard International World Championships three times in recent years, placing fifth (in 2004) and 17th. In 2007, the school took 19th in the world. In 2013 they placed first in A class at the NWAPA Winter championships. School bands have performed at places such as the USS Missouri, Prince Kuhio Day Parade in Hawaii, the University of Nevada, and at the Hard Rock Cafe. The band program also includes three jazz bands and as of 2015, a brassline (the first in the northwest) led by director Tim Ray.
Century's Colorguard and Winterguard are in open class in the NWOC. They also visited Winter Guard International in the past.
Century's drama department puts on an annual one-act play festival in addition to standard plays each year. The group musical has won the international competition, and many state titles.
The school's JagTV produces a morning news program.
- "Hillsboro School District Graduation Rates Rise, Despite Official Results". Hillsboro School District. January 26, 2017. Archived from the original on 22 February 2017. Retrieved 22 February 2017.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Ulmer, Jerry (June 4, 2011). "Class 6A softball championship: Century completes late-season run, wins first team title for school". The Oregonian. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Fentress, Aaron. Stadium on target for fall opening. The Oregonian, May 12, 1999.
- Fitzgibbon, Joe (2010-03-03). "Hillsboro Stadium gets $1 million makeover, installs FieldTurf surface". The Oregonian. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- Ulmer Jerry. The Oregonian. (2/22/2014). "OSAA 6A girls swimming: Century arrives on scene with first title" Retrieved 2/6/2015
- Oregon OSAA Outdoor State Championships "State Championships Results" Retrieved 2/6/2015.
- "Century High School" Archived 2015-02-06 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2/6/2015
- OSAA. "2008 State Championship Results" Retrieved 2/6/2015.
- "OSAA Speech Championships".
- Century Band and Colorguard "Personal ad sales information"[permanent dead link] Retrieved 2/6/2015.
- "Fight Path: After rocky childhood, Jonathan Brookins found unlikely inspiration in Krazy Horse". MMAjunkie. June 3, 2010. Retrieved 26 April 2018.