Century High School (Hillsboro, Oregon)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Century High School|
|2000 SE Century Blvd.
Hillsboro, OR 97123
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Hillsboro School District 1J|
|Color(s)||Black, Teal, and Silver|
|Website||Century High School Website|
Century High School is located in Hillsboro, Oregon. It was built in 1997 with the school colors of black, teal, and silver. Century High School's Principal is Martha Guise. The school's mascot is the jaguar. As of 2016, the graduation rate was 86%.
There are several CAM (or Certificate of Advanced Mastery) courses available at Century. There are Health Services, Digital Technology, P.A.C. (Professions Assisting the Community), Business, and FAME (Fine Arts). Students choose their CAM their junior year and start taking the prerequisites for the classes. The CAM classes give students time to work on their senior project, which must be completed before they can graduate.
The CIM (Certificate of Initial Mastery) is an acknowledgment that a student has met rigorous standards by acquiring skills in several academic areas. Both CIM and CAM requirements are being phased out of the Hillsboro School District.
In 2014 Century's Girls Swimming team took 1st in the state of Oregon, the second state championship of any sport in the school.
There has also been several individual triumphs in the state championships in track and field. In 2012 for example, Century placed 1st in women´s long jump, 2nd in women´s high jump, and 2nd in women's pole vault.
Century high school also has teams in cheerleading, cross country, dance, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, basketball, baseball, golf, lacrosse (club sport) and tennis.
Speech and debate
Band and Colorguard
The Century High School band has been led by Director Jim Dunlop. The Winter Percussion Ensemble has gone to the Winter Guard International World Championships three times in past years, placing 5th (in 2004) and 17th. In 2007, the school took 19th in the world. In 2013 they placed first in A class at the NWAPA Winter championships. School bands have performed at places such as the USS Missouri, Prince Kuhio Day Parade in Hawaii, the University of Nevada, and at the Hard Rock Cafe. The band program also includes three jazz bands and as of 2015, a brassline (that is the first in the northwest) led by director Tim Ray.
Century's Colorguard and Winterguard are in open class in the NWOC. They also visited Winter Guard International in the past years.
Century's drama department puts on an annual one-act play festival in addition to standard plays each year. The group musical has won the international competition, and many state titles. The school's JagTV produces a morning news program. The chess team has placed as high as tenth nationally.
- "Hillsboro School District Graduation Rates Rise, Despite Official Results". Hillsboro School District. January 26, 2017. Retrieved 22 February 2017.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Ulmer, Jerry (June 4, 2011). "Class 6A softball championship: Century completes late-season run, wins first team title for school". The Oregonian. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Fentress, Aaron. Stadium on target for fall opening. The Oregonian, May 12, 1999.
- Fitzgibbon, Joe (2010-03-03). "Hillsboro Stadium gets $1 million makeover, installs FieldTurf surface". The Oregonian. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- Ulmer Jerry. The Oregonian. (2/22/2014). "OSAA 6A girls swimming: Century arrives on scene with first title" Retrieved 2/6/2015
- Oregon OSAA Outdoor State Championships "State Championships Results" Retrieved 2/6/2015.
- "Century High School" Retrieved 2/6/2015
- OSAA. "2008 State Championship Results" Retrieved 2/6/2015.
- "OSAA Speech Championships".
- Century Band and Colorguard "Personal ad sales information"[permanent dead link] Retrieved 2/6/2015.