Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Officeholders whose status is disputed are shown in italics
The Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization or Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization) is the leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization Executive Committee (PLO EC), the executive body of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), which was established in 1964. The Chairman represents the PLO and the Palestinian people before the international community, such as the United Nations. The Chairman is chosen by the members of the PLO EC.
The Palestinian Liberation Organization represents the People of the State of Palestine with UN Charter, Chapter XII., Article 85, UN Organ Administrator passing an Article 84 Resolution of November 22nd, 1974 UNGA 3236
Resignation Announcement 2015
On 22 August 2015, Mahmoud Abbas announced his resignation as member and Chairman of the Executive Committee. Yet, his resignation had to be approved by the Palestinian National Council (PNC), the overarching parliament of the State of Palestine, which also includes the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC). A convention of the PNC was announced for 15 September.
Many Palestinians of the political scene saw the move as just an attempt to replace some members in the Executive Committee, or to force a meeting of the PNC and remain in their jobs until the PNC decides whether to accept or to reject their resignations.
Met with fierce criticism by many Palestinian factions, the National Council's first session in nearly 20 years had been postponed indefinitely. The Executive Committee members who announced their resignation were to continue to hold their positions until the PNC meets.
List of Chairmen (1964–Present)
|#||Chairman||Born-Died||Term start||Term end||Notes|
|1||Ahmad Shukeiri||1908–1980||10 June 1964||24 December 1967|
|2||Yahya Hammuda||1908–2006||24 December 1967||3 February 1969|
|1929–2004||4 February 1969||11 November 2004||In exile in Jordan to April 1971, Lebanon 1971 – December 1982, and Tunisia December 1982 – May 1994. Died in office|
|1961-||22 September 2002||22 September 2002||PLO Chairman Arafat's National Security Adviser (1987-2004); Acting on behalf of Yasser Arafat during the IDF siege; Contacted UN Missions via fax |
|1935–||29 October 2004||Incumbent||Acting on behalf of Yasser Arafat from 11 November 2004. Announced his resignation on 22 August 2015 |
- PALESTINIAN ORGANISATIONS
- Purported Abbas resignation from PLO Executive Committee ridiculed as ′silly show′. Khaled Abu Toameh , Jerusalem Post, 23 August 2015
- Palestinian National Council Scheduled to Convene on September 15th. WAFA, 27 August 2015
- Abbas heats up Palestinian politics in PLO reshuffle bid. Nidal al-Mughrabi and Ali Sawafta, Reuters, 27 August 2015
- PNC chair confirms controversial session postponed. Ma'an News Agency, 9 September 2015
- Al Fatah Chief To Lead Palestinian Liberation; Associated Press; Feb. 6, 1969
- FATAH WINS CONTROL OF PALESTINE GROUP;New York Times; Feb. 5, 1969
- Official document signed by the "Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization"
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|