Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Officeholders whose status is disputed are shown in italics
The Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization or Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization) is the leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization Executive Committee (PLO EC), the executive body of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), which was established in 1964. The Chairman represents the PLO and the Palestinian people before the international community, such as the United Nations. The Chairman is chosen by the members of the PLO EC.
The Palestinian Liberation Organization represents the People of the State of Palestine with UN Charter, Chapter XII., Article 85, UN Organ Administrator passing an Article 84 Resolution of November 22nd, 1974 UNGA 3236.
The United Nations General Assembly acting under Chapter IV., Article 10 "scope and powers" passed November 22nd, 1974, UNGA 3237 Resolution granting the Palestinian Liberation Organization Observer Status at the United Nations.
The United Nations General Assembly acting, once again, under Chapter IV., Article 10 "scope and powers" passed December 4th, 2012, A/RES/67/19 Archived December 8, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. granting the ph 5 UNGA 181 State of Palestine Observer Status at United Nations.
The Palestinian Authority President is not synonymous with A/RES/67/19 State of Palestine President: Acting President is the ph 16 referenced PLO Executive Committee of PLO Chairman
2015 resignation announcement
On 22 August 2015, Mahmoud Abbas announced his resignation as member and Chairman of the Executive Committee. Yet, his resignation had to be approved by the Palestinian National Council (PNC), the overarching parliament of the State of Palestine, which also includes the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC). A convention of the PNC was announced for 15 September.
Many Palestinians of the political scene saw the move as just an attempt to replace some members in the Executive Committee, or to force a meeting of the PNC and remain in their jobs until the PNC decides whether to accept or to reject their resignations.
Met with fierce criticism by many Palestinian factions, the National Council's first session in nearly 20 years had been postponed indefinitely. The Executive Committee members who announced their resignation were to continue to hold their positions until the PNC meets.
List of Chairmen (1964–present)
|Term of office||Faction||Notes|
|10 June 1964||24 December 1967||—|
|24 December 1967||3 February 1969||—|
|4 February 1969||11 November 2004
(died in office)
|Fatah||In exile in Jordan (to April 1971), Lebanon (1971 – December 1982) and Tunisia (December 1982 – May 1994).|
|29 October 2004||Incumbent||Fatah||Acting on behalf of Yasser Arafat from 11 November 2004. Announced his resignation on 22 August 2015.|
- "PALESTINIAN ORGANISATIONS". al-bab.com. 18 June 2009. Archived from the original on 1 April 2015.
- Purported Abbas resignation from PLO Executive Committee ridiculed as ′silly show′. Khaled Abu Toameh , Jerusalem Post, 23 August 2015
- Palestinian National Council Scheduled to Convene on September 15th Archived December 8, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.. WAFA, 27 August 2015
- Abbas heats up Palestinian politics in PLO reshuffle bid. Nidal al-Mughrabi and Ali Sawafta, Reuters, 27 August 2015
- PNC chair confirms controversial session postponed. Ma'an News Agency, 9 September 2015
- Al Fatah Chief To Lead Palestinian Liberation; Associated Press; Feb. 6, 1969
- FATAH WINS CONTROL OF PALESTINE GROUP;New York Times; Feb. 5, 1969
- Official document signed by the "Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization"
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|