|Alma mater||McGill University|
|Known for||Founder and CEO of Binance|
Changpeng Zhao (Chinese: 赵长鹏; pinyin: Zhào Zhǎngpéng), commonly known as "CZ", is a Chinese-Canadian business executive. Zhao is the founder and CEO of Binance, the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange by trading volume as of April 2018. Zhao was previously a member of the team that developed Blockchain.info and also served as chief technology officer of OKCoin.
Early life and education
On September 10th, 1977, Zhao was born in Jiangsu province, China. In the late 1980s, he moved with his family to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. His father was a professor in China before he was branded "pro-bourgeois intellect" and exiled from his country. In his teenage years, Zhao helped support his family by working a number of service industry jobs which included being a McDonald's employee.
After university, Zhao got an internship in Tokyo working for a subcontractor of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, developing software for matching trade orders. He then worked full-time for 4 years at Bloomberg Tradebook where he was a developer of futures trading software.
In 2017, Zhao left OKCoin to start a cryptocurrency exchange called Binance. He launched the company in July 2017, following a $15 million funding raised during an initial coin offering. In less than eight months, Zhao grew Binance into the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange by trading volume, as of April 2018. Zhao also launched blockchain network Binance Smart Chain[when?] that has made significant contribution to the development of the decentralized finance industry.
In an interview with the New York times, Zhao said people are getting into crypto as they see it grow "trade it and make money off it as opposed to using it", but that the market will always self-correct
- "Changpeng Zhao". Forbes. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- Cao, Sissi (2018-04-03). "Despite Bitcoin Bubble Popping, Crypto Exchanges Are Making Billionaires Richer". Observer. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Lee, Justina; Nakamura, Yuji; Robertson, Benjamin (2018-03-28). "How a Billionaire Crypto King Built the No. 1 Exchange in Just 8 Months". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- Ambler, Pamela (February 28, 2018). "From Zero To Crypto Billionaire In Under A Year: Meet The Founder Of Binance". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "ZHAO Changpeng - biography, news, photos, date of birth, press dossier. Personalities GlobalNY.biz". globalny.biz. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- Russell, Jon (2018-05-04). "Catch Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao at TechCrunch's blockchain event on July 6". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Opinion: The technology behind cryptocurrencies can spark the innovations to help us shape a fairer world". The Independent. 2021-07-01. Retrieved 2021-07-01.
- Forbes editors (February 6, 2018). "The Richest People In Cryptocurrency". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Changpeng Zhao". Forbes. Retrieved 2021-03-14.
- Kharif, Olga (6 April 2021). "Binance CEO Goes All-in on Tokens: 'I Just Want to Keep Crypto'". Bloomberg Markets. Retrieved 1 September 2021.