Kouyaté with Anderlecht in 2011
|Full name||Cheikhou Kouyaté|
|Date of birth||21 December 1989|
|Place of birth||Dakar, Senegal|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Midfielder / Defender|
|West Ham United|
|1996–2006||ASC Yego Dakar|
|2008–2009||→ Kortrijk (loan)||26||(3)|
|2014–||West Ham United||31||(4)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:34, 26 May 2015 (UTC).
Cheikhou Kouyaté (born 21 December 1989) is a Senegalese footballer who plays as a central midfielder for English club West Ham United. Kouyaté is a very physical player as he is known well for his pace and strength.
Kouyaté moved from Senegal to Belgium in 2006, having been offered a youth contract at Brussels. After breaking in to the first team, he went on to play just ten appearances before moving to Belgium team Anderlecht aged 19. In June 2014, he joined West Ham United. He represented his country's national team at the 2012 Olympics.
Kouyaté began his footballing career in 1996 in his hometown with ASC Yego Dakar and was scouted by Brussels in September 2006. Brussels then signed the player in January the following year. He went on to play ten league appearances for the first team between 2007 and 2008.
As Kouyaté turned 19, he left Brussels as his former employers did not pay him three months of wage, he subsequently moved to Belgian rivals Anderlecht on a four-year deal for a free transfer. He went on to making 143 league appearances for Anderlecht, scoring four goals in five seasons at the club. He won four league titles with the club; the 2009–10, 2011–12, 2012–13 and 2013–14 titles. He also won the 2010–11, 2012–13 and 2013–14 Belgian Super Cup.
West Ham United
On 18 June 2014 Kouyaté signed for West Ham United on a four-year contract. Kouyaté said "I am very happy because today West Ham have given me the chance to play in the Premier League". He became West Ham's second signing before the 2014–15 season following the signing of Mauro Zárate at the end of May. He joined fellow Senegalese player Mohamed Diamé at the club who later completed a deadline day move away from West Ham to Hull City. Kouyaté made his West Ham debut on 16 August 2014 in a 1–0 home defeat to Tottenham Hotspur. His performance was described as "impressive". The following week manager Sam Allardyce compared him to ex-Arsenal captain, Patrick Vieira. On 28 December Kouyaté scored his first West Ham goal, in a 1–2 defeat by Arsenal. His second goal of the season came on 8 February 2015 in a 1-1 draw with Manchester United. His performance in the game won praise from manager Allardyce for Kouyaté's Man of the Match performance which was also singled out as the Individual Performance of the Season, by a West Ham player, at the clubs' annual awards. He scored two further goals in the season, in a 2-2 away draw with Tottenham Hotspur and in a 1-2 away defeat to Leicester City. Kouyaté finished the season having played 31 of a possible 38 league games.
In February 2012, Kouyaté was called up to the Senegal first team. He has currently made 11 caps. In the same year, he was announced to be in the squad for Senegal Olympic football team. He played in every game as Senegal's debut appearance in the tournament ended in a knockout in the quarter final. In January 2015, he was a member of Senegal's squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea.
|Brussels||2007–08||Belgian First Division||10||0||0||0||—||—||10||0|
|Anderlecht||2009–10||Belgian Pro League||21||1||3||1||—||9||0||33||2|
|2010–11||Belgian Pro League||23||1||2||0||—||8||0||33||1|
|2011–12||Belgian Pro League||38||0||0||0||—||10||0||48||0|
|2012–13||Belgian Pro League||33||1||4||0||—||8||0||45||1|
|2013–14||Belgian Pro League||38||1||2||0||—||7||0||47||1|
|Kortrijk (loan)||2008–09||Belgian First Division||26||3||0||0||—||0||0||26||3|
|West Ham United||2014–15||Premier League||31||4||1||0||0||0||—||32||4|
- "Premier League Player Profile Cheikhou Kouyaté". Premier League. Barclays Premier League. 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- FC BRUSSELS Players on www.rwdm-brussels.be
- "CHEIKHOU KOUYATE". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Cheikhou Kouyaté moet van de rechter naar Anderlecht on www.nieuwsblad.be
- Cheikhou Kouyaté profile at Soccerway
- Hammers complete Kouyate transfer on www.whufc.com
- BBC Sport – West Ham: Mauro Zarate signs for Hammers from Argentina
- BBC Sport – West Ham United 0–1 Tottenham Hotspur
- "Sam Allardyce: When I look at West Ham signing Cheikhou Kouyate I see Patrick Vieira". The Evening Standard. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "West Ham United 1–2 Arsenal". Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Allardyce singles out West Ham star for special praise after Manchester United draw". www.london24.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Kouyate's vote of thanks". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tottenham 2-2 West Ham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Leicester City 2-1 West Ham United". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Games played by Cheilhou Kouyate in season 2014-15". www.soccerbase.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Senegal off to the perfect start". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "C. KOUYATÉ". Soccerway. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Cheikhou Kouyaté". Soccerbase. Retrieved 20 June 2015.