|First appearance||Steamboat Willie (1928)|
|Created by||Ub Iwerks|
|Voiced by||Marcellite Garner (1930) |
Elvia Allman (1933–1990)
April Winchell (1996–present)
|Family||Mayor Beezlebub (deceased father)|
Mrs. Cow (mother)
Durham Cow (deceased grandfather)
Sarabelle Cow (sister)
Horseface Horace (brother)
Miss Bovina (aunt)
Bertie the Jinx (younger cousin)
Bella (pet dog)
|Significant other||Horace Horsecollar|
Clarabelle Cow is a Disney fictional character within the Mickey Mouse universe of characters. Clarabelle Cow was created by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks in 1928. Clarabelle is one of Minnie Mouse's best friends and is usually depicted as the girlfriend of Horace Horsecollar, although she has also been paired with Goofy occasionally (especially in the Super Goof comic book series). Clarabelle has remained a supporting character in the United States; only in Italy has she been treated as a major character.
Clarabelle first appeared as a farm cow in the cartoon Steamboat Willie in 1928. She appeared frequently in cartoons from 1930 to 1932 and less frequently afterwards, taking her final classic-era bow in 1942. As with most Disney characters, she was later given small cameos in the featurettes Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) and The Prince and the Pauper (1990) and the 1988 feature film Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Clarabelle mostly played bit-parts in the 30+ films in which she appeared and her character was never as fully developed as Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald Duck or Pluto. She and Horace Horsecollar changed from normal farmyard animals into anthropomorphized beings as necessary.
In modern animation, Clarabelle has returned to active use, appearing first in a few segments of Mickey Mouse Works and in a brief scene in Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas. In Disney's House of Mouse she regularly turned up as a gossip columnist with the tagline "Gossip is Always True".
Clarabelle has also made appearances in the preschool series Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and is featured as Goofy's girlfriend (in which she owns a puppy named Bella) and in the direct-to-video movie Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers as Pete's lieutenant and Goofy's love interest. She also appears in Mickey and the Roadster Racers, where she displays attraction towards both Goofy and Horace.
- 1928 - Steamboat Willie
- 1929 - Plane Crazy
- 1929 - The Plowboy
- 1929 - Mickey's Choo-Choo
- 1929 - The Karnival Kid
- 1930 - The Barnyard Concert
- 1930 - The Shindig
- 1930 - The Chain Gang
- 1930 - Pioneer Days
- 1931 - The Birthday Party
- 1931 - Mother Goose Melodies
- 1931 - Blue Rhythm
- 1931 - The Barnyard Broadcast
- 1931 - The Beach Party
- 1932 - The Mad Dog
- 1932 - Barnyard Olympics
- 1932 - Mickey's Revue
- 1932 - Mickey's Nightmare
- 1932 - The Whoopee Party
- 1932 - Touchdown Mickey
- 1932 - Parade of the Award Nominees
- 1933 - Mickey's Mellerdrammer
- 1933 - Ye Olden Days
- 1933 - Mickey's Gala Premiere
- 1934 - Camping Out
- 1934 - Orphan's Benefit
- 1935 - The Band Concert
- 1935 - On Ice
- 1935 - Mickey's Fire Brigade
- 1936 - Mickey's Grand Opera
- 1936 - Mickey's Polo Team
- 1937 - Mickey's Amateurs
- 1941 - Orphan's Benefit (remake)
- 1942 - Mickey's Birthday Party
- 1942 - Symphony Hour
- 1983 - Mickey's Christmas Carol
- 1988 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- 1990 - Roller Coaster Rabbit (cameo)
- 1993 - Bonkers (Stork Exchange/Rubber Room Song (Casabonkers))
- 1990 - The Prince and the Pauper
- 2001 - Disney's House of Mouse
- 2004 - Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers
- 2006 - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- 2013 - Get a Horse!
- 2014 - Mickey Mouse
- 2017 - Mickey and the Roadster Racers
- 2018 - Ralph Breaks the Internet (cameo)
When the Disney characters started to feature in comics, Clarabelle Cow was one of the first. Her first appearance was in the Mickey Mouse comic strip April 2, 1930. Along with Horace Horsecollar, Clara Cluck, Goofy, Minnie and Mickey she appeared in comics on a regular basis in the fifties, sixties and seventies.
For a brief time, during the late 1960s, Clarabelle began dating Goofy, perhaps in an attempt to give Goofy a girlfriend. During this time Horace's whereabouts are unknown. Clarabelle's status with Goofy was challenged by another gal named Glory-Bee. In later comics, Clarabelle and Horace were a couple again. Clarabelle also has a young cousin, Bertie the Jinx, a niece, Itsy-Betsy, and a socialite aunt named Miss Bovina, who have appeared in several issues of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories.
From the eighties forward only a few stories with Clarabelle Cow were made in USA. In Europe on the other hand, especially in Italy, the production of stories continued and is still going strong today. In Italian comics Clarabelle (called Clarabella) is very popular and she is the girlfriend of Horace Horsecollar (Orazio Cavezza in Italy)
Disney theme parks
From September 2006 to September 2008, Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar appeared together for meet-and-greets in Town Square at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. Also, they were in the Main Street Family Fun Day Parade. Since Family Fun Day's ending, the two haven't been easy to see outside "Mickey's Boo-to-You Halloween Parade", "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade" and the occasional special event. Currently, you will find them dancing in the Frontierland Hoedown in the Magic Kingdom.
Clarabelle also appears (without Horace) at Disneyland Park. She has also appeared in several Disneyland parades and shows over the years, including The World According to Goofy, Light Magic, the Parade of the Stars, Fantasmic, A Christmas Fantasy Parade and Celebrate! A Street Party. Clarabelle and Horace come out for meet-and-greets and appear in parades and shows on a regular basis at Tokyo Disneyland as well. In 2009, Clarabelle played a leading character in the New Year's Greeting at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.
Clarabelle Cow was chosen to meet and greet for Character Fan Days at Disneyland. She's accompanied by Horace Horsecollar which is his first meet and greet at Disneyland in Anaheim.
She also features with Horace in Mickey's Halloween Celebration and Goofy's Garden Party in Disneyland Paris. In Christmas 2016, Clarabelle returned to Magic Kingdom just to appear in Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration.
Though Clarabelle is now very rarely seen in animation today, she is a character in Disney's Toontown Online. She plays the role of giving the player furniture to decorate their estates, with the catalog players must order from is a "Cattlelog". Her appearance is also somewhat changed to look like an operator.
She also makes a minor appearance in Kingdom Hearts II in the Timeless River World using her old black and white design.
Clarabelle is also seen in the Epic Mickey video games, as one of the forgotten characters that Mickey sees during his journey. She lives in OsTown, one of the games environs, and is known to be romantically involved with Horace Horsecollar.
- Marcellite Garner. The Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB). Retrieved on May 30, 2008.
- Elvia Allman. The Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB). Retrieved on May 30, 2008.
- April Winchell. The Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB). Retrieved on May 30, 2008.
- Clarabelle Cow. The Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB). Retrieved on May 30, 2008.
- "Clarabelle Cow (From Disney) - WeirdSpace".
- Plane Crazy Archived 2008-02-24 at the Wayback Machine. The Encyclopedia of Disney Animated Shorts Archived 2008-03-23 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 16, 2008.
- Don Markstein: Disney HooZoo Archived 2009-01-26 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 16, 2008.
- Gottfredson, Floyd (2011). Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse, vol 1: Race to Death Valley. Seattle, WA: Fantagraphics Books. p. 21. ISBN 9781606994412.
- Glory-Bee Archived 2015-03-13 at the Wayback Machine. Disney's HooZoo Archived 2008-03-13 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 16, 2008.