|Industry||Combined heat and power, Coal seam gas, Biogas, Landfill gas, Synthesis gas, Sewage gas, Grid balancing|
|Headquarters||Knowsley, Liverpool, England, UK|
|UK, Ireland, France, Australia, New Zealand, India, Nigeria, Tunisia, Algeria, Bangladesh, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Swaziland, Lesotho, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda|
|Products||INNIO's Jenbacher gas engines, Power, cogeneration and trigeneration plants|
|Services||Gas engine maintenance, engineering, project management|
Number of employees
|Part of a series about|
Clarke Energy is part of the Kohler Company and is a multinational specialist in the sale, engineering, installation and maintenance of power plants that use gas engines. Clarke Energy is an independent company with its global head offices located in Knowsley, Liverpool and is an authorised distributor and service partner for INNIO's  Jenbacher and Waukesha gas engines. Clarke Energy has over 1,000 staff in seventeen countries worldwide including Algeria, Australia, Bangladesh, Cameroon, France, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Tanzania, Tunisia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Swaziland and Lesotho. The company maintains a portfolio of applications for both low-carbon power and renewable energy generation.
Applications and projects
Gas engines can be used in various gas-to-power applications including natural gas combined heat and power (CHP) / cogeneration, biogas, landfill gas, coal mine methane, synthetic gas, wood gas and associated petroleum gas. In the UK Clarke Energy is a leading supplier of landfill gas generation equipment, in Australia for Coal Mine gas engines and in France for natural gas cogeneration units. The company has worked on pioneering projects including the supply of the first GE biogas engines into sub-Saharan Africa near Lake Naivasha in Kenya and pioneering the use of CNG as a fuel with Nestle Nigeria.
The company's current operations were established by Jim Clarke in 1989 and initially was a service provided for diesel engines. In 1995 Clarke Energy became distributor for Jenbacher Gas Engines. In 1998, from its original base in the UK Clarke Energy began to expand overseas. In 2002 GE acquired Jenbacher, the Austrian gas engine specialist company  commencing Clarke Energy's status as an 'Authorized Distributor and Service provider' for GE. Clarke Energy helped develop some of the first projects as part of GE's Ecomagination initiative including a biogas projects in Punjab, India, and coal gas plants in Australia. Clarke Energy was acquired by US-based Kohler Co. in 2017.
- 1989 - Clarke Energy Established as an engine service company
- 1995 - Clarke Energy nominated as distributor for Jenbacher AG gas engine products in UK
- 1998 - Awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Australia, New Zealand and Nigeria
- 2003 - GE acquires Jenbacher AG. Clarke Energy acquires Cogen India, awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in India
- 2004 - Clarke Energy acquires Jenbacher France, awarded distribution rights for France.
- 2005 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Ireland. Previous distributor's contract cancelled.
- 2008 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Tunisia
- 2011 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Algeria
- 2012 - Clarke Energy awarded distribution rights for Jenbacher in Tanzania
- 2013 - Clarke Energy acquires Orient Energy Systems Bangladesh, Agaricus Trading and GE's South African Jenbacher gas engine service business. Awarded distribution rights for Bangladesh, South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique
- 2017 - Clarke Energy is acquired by Kohler Co.
Affiliations and Achievements
Clarke Energy is a member of the Combined Heat and Power Association, the Renewable Energy Association and a founding member of Lord Redesdale's Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Association Clarke Energy is also a multiple award winner of the British Safety Council's International Safety Award. Clarke Energy was named 'Business of the Year 2012' in the Knowsley Business Awards. In 2012 ECI Partners acquired a minority stake in Clarke Energy. In 2013 the company was awarded 'Export Champion' status by UK Trade and Investment. In 2014 the company was announced as a winner of the Queen's Award for Enterprise (International Trade) for having achieved 6 years' sustained growth. The company also won the 2014 British Renewable Energy Award for Innovation, and 'Business of the Year >250 employees' in the (Liverpool City Region) Regional Business Awards.
The company was also a finalist in the British Renewable Energy Awards 2013 & 2014 and the Energy Awards 2013 It was awarded The Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade (Export) (2014).
This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Jenbacher Distributor and Service Partners, GE Energy, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Energy Efficient an Interview with Alan Fletcher, Clarke Energy, Venture Magazine Archived 1 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine, www.venturemagazine.co.uk, December 2006, Accessed 1 April 2004
- Australia's Renewable Energy Use, Technologies and Services Archived 27 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine www.cleanenergycouncil.org.au, accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Energy makes major acquisition in Bangladesh, www.clarke-energy.com, 13/08/2013
- GE Energy fournit des moteurs Jenbacher pour une centrale à gaz de décharge sur l’île de la Réunion dans l’Océan Indien Archived 16 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine, fr.geenergyeurope-pressroom.com, Accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Energy Promeut la Cogeneration en Tunisie, www.kapitalis.com, accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Energy acquires GE's Jenbacher gas engine South African service business and Agaricus Trading, www.clarke-energy.com, accessed 11.11/2013
- Clarke Energy Sales Soar, Liverpool Daily Post, 22 July 2009, www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Clarke Energy Sets £200 million target, Insider Media, 13 January 2011, www.insidermedia.com, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Director's Pay Cuts Double Profits at Clarke Energy, 30 June 2010, www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Clarke Energy pushes into Oil and Gas Markets, www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk, accessed 5 January 2012
- Queensland Government Inaugurates Alternative Energy Plant Powered by GE's Jenbacher Waste Coal Mine Gas Engines, www.v1energy.com, Accessed 11.05.2011
- Clarke Generates Interest at Blackwater Archived 13 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine, www.gastoday.com.au, Accessed 11.05.2011
- Recycling Energy: Interview with Didier Lartigue, Director of Clarke Energy, British Embassy Tunis Archived 31 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine, ukintunisia.fco.gov.uk, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Kenya to benefit from major biogas plant, www.businessdailyafrica.com, retrieved 20.09.2013
- Partnership with Clarke Energy will enable Nestle to save 30% on fuel cost annually, www.wapicforum.com
- Britain's Green Rich List, Sunday Times, 27 December 2009, www.timesonline.co.uk, Accessed 5 April 2004
- Clarke Energy Becomes Jenbacher Distributor, www.powergenworldwide.com, 1 May 1999, www.powergenworldwide.com, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Hoffman, A. Critical interfaces and technical limits for a reliable utilization of CMM in recip engines, GE Jenbacher, www.epa.gov, accessed 1 April 2011
- GE Energy's Jenbacher Biogas Engines Power, New Materials International, 15.08.2007 Archived 19 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, www.newmaterials.com, Accessed 1 April 2011
- GE's ecomagination™ Certified Jenbacher Power Plant Commissioned at Australian Coal Mine to Help Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions, www.gepower.com, Accessed 14.04.2011
- Kohler Co. Acquires UK-based Clarke Energy, PR Newswire, 2 February 2017
- Clarke Energy, Renewable Energy Association[permanent dead link], www.rea.net, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Association - Founding Members Archived 11 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine, Accessed 1 April 2011
- Knowsley Business and Regeneration Awards 2012 - Winners Announced Archived 27 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine, www.knowsley.gov.uk, retrieved 11.01.2013
- ECI Partners Investment Archived 4 July 2013 at the Wayback Machine. www.ecipartners.com, received 11.01.2013
- Clarke Energy appointed as Export Champion, www.clarke-energy.com
- List of 2014 Queen's Award Winners, www.ft.com, retrieved 22.04.2014
- Gas-powered international trade - Clarke Energy wins Queen's Award www.clarke-energy.com, retrieved 22.04.0214
- Energy Minister Celebrates REA Award Winners, www.r-e-a.net, retrieved 8 July 2014
- Live Liverpool Echo Regional Business Awards, www.liverpoolecho.com, accessed 8 July 2014
- British Renewable Energy Awards 2013, www.r-e-a.net
- British Renewable Energy Awards Finalists Announced, www.r-e-a.net, retrieved 22.04.2014
- Energy Awards Shortlist, www.theenergyawards.com