Dekker Dreyer and wife Julia Howe at the 2016 Primetime Emmy Awards
Ryan Dekker Dreyer
November 16, 1980
|Occupation||Film and television producer, director, screenwriter, and actor.|
Virtual and Augmented Reality
Dreyer has been called a VR pioneer by both Entrepreneur and MovieMaker. He is considered a prominent artist in immersive media and created the VR / AR Producing course at Columbia College Chicago Online. At the studio he co-founded, Clever Fox, he created and directed two of the first scripted original series in VR, The Depths and Broadcast. He has also created XR experiences for musical artists Bootsy Collins, Devo and Disturbed.
His augmented reality live experience The Summoning has been called a "First of its kind" by UploadVR and received wide recognition for its innovative use of technology and creativity. Subsequent projects include the collaborative storytelling project What We Leave Behind.
Film and Television
Dekker's work in independent film began when his short Closed Circuit, commissioned by Miramax to accompany the feature Naqoyqatsi, was shown at the 2002 Slamdance Film Festival. His first documentary film Three Days in Orlando showcased the friction both inside and out facing the yearly Gay Days event in Orlando Florida through a series of intimate profiles. His experimental feature The Arcadian starring Lance Henriksen with the music of Perturbator has released on collector's edition VHS and digital download with special international midnight screenings. He is also the director of the Mystery Skulls official music video for the single Music.
In 2007 he and his partners launched the Illusion On-Demand network, a science fiction channel with a large national footprint. He soon took on the duty of creative director and brought both anime and sci-fi classics like Doctor Who to the network. Dekker produced many of the original programs that appeared on Illusion including Analog presents: The Science of Fiction in partnership with Analog Science Fiction and Fact. He would later expand the channel's holdings by launching the short-lived anthology magazine Transmitter
From 2012 to 2016 he was part of Participant Media's online video arm at Takepart.com and on the launch team for their cable television network Pivot. Participant Media is widely known to produce content dealing with the subjects of climate change, journalistic ethics, and social justice.
Dreyer returned to the Slamdance Film Festival as a jurist in 2016. That same year he was a major supporter of the organization's DIG (Digital, Interactive, and Gaming) showcase. In 2018 he took on the role of organizer and co-curator of the fourth annual DIG program.
Dreyer was also the founder of the touring animation festival Anime After Dark which kicked off with presenting the official 20th anniversary event for Grave of the Fireflies which had a digital conversion overseen by Dreyer.
Books and Comics
Dreyer is the author of the short story anthologies, Cyberpunk is Dead: Long Live Cyberpunk, Dark Astronomy, Body Horrors, Demonology Lessons, and the novella The Tea Goddess. He is credited as having coined the term ecopunk. In comics, Dekker is the writer of Mondo Atomic, which retells the stories of Plan 9 from Outer Space, Robot Monster, and other B movies in a contemporary way.
Art, Food & Cultural Commentary
Dekker is a visual artist working in physical, digital, and non-conventional mediums. His work has been included in numerous pop culture shows in the Los Angeles art scene most notably associated with the venue Meltdown Comics. He is an outspoken essayist on the topics of human rights, race, sexual identity, and alternative economic models. His horror comic anthology Seven Deadly Sins critiques the role of technology in modern society. 
Dekker's culinary projects combine immersive theatricality, dining, and absurdist cultural commentary. These projects include the restaurant Kaiju Sushi which was located in the shark attack capital of the world. Dreyer and his partner Julia Howe proclaimed that any person coming to the pop-up restaurant with proof that they were attacked by sharks would get free sushi resulting in national coverage. and L'Aldila, a supernatural restaurant in the heart of Cassadaga, Florida where patrons were encouraged to commune with the dead during their meals. 
Dreyer teamed up with his wife to produce the art meme project Tentacle Grape to bring awareness to a rising tide of misogyny in pop culture in an era predating Gamergate and related movements. The project, presented as a regular product, drew controversy about the brand's packaging and message. Although controversial, the product was overwhelmingly popular leading to Cracked naming it #4 on their list of "Horrifying Soft Drinks Around the World". The unexpected popularity of the product lead to a backlog prompting watchdog site The Consumerist to question the existence of the soda. A retraction was subsequently published.
From 2017 to 2018 Dreyer was the co-host of the podcast The Future is Virtual from Embolden Entertainment (later Zero Gravity). The show was unique in that it was live streamed as a simulcast to AltspaceVR, Twitch, and Facebook 360. In 2015 Dreyer was featured on TV Tokyo's television series Why Did You Come to Japan. He and his wife Julia took the audience on a tour of Tokyo's Golden Gai nightlife.
- "Dekker Dreyer". Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Carone, Patrick (2018-09-14). "3 Ways a Virtual Reality Pioneer Is Rebranding the Form". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- MovieMaker Magazine
- Cablefax Multiscreen Summit
- Slamdance to Expand DIG Showcase, Screen Daily
- TV Academy Inside VR 2015
- "Monday Hustle with Dekker Dreyer, Columbia College Chicago Online". Columbia College Chicago Online. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- GmbH, finanzen.net. "Columbia College Chicago Online Launches Augmented and Virtual Reality, Coding CoursesColumbia among the few higher education institutions in the U.S. to offer distinctive online courses in... | Markets Insider". markets.businessinsider.com. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- VR Director Dekker Dreyer on Building an Immersive Horror universe, Horror Society
- The Depths Brings Terror in 360 Degrees Dreadcentral
- Broadcast is a Black Mirror Style Anthology Uploadvr.com
- "Clever Fox Enters Facebook AR World With Devo". VRROOM. 2018-09-26. Retrieved 2018-09-28.
- Experience Disturbed's 360 Degree VR Video The Sound of Silence AXS.com
- The Summoning is a First of its Kind AR Horror Experience, Uploadvr.com
- "ScareLA Returns This Summer! And They're Planning A Dark Zone of Epic Proportions!, Blumhouse.com". Archived from the original on 2017-07-31. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- Horror Goes VR in Dekker Dreyer's The Summoning, Dread Central
- "'What We Leave Behind' Encourages AR Confessions at Slamdance". Animation World Network. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Clever Fox's Latest Project Coming To Slamdance Film Festival". VRFocus. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Selling Queer". 2005-05-05. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Featured Fearmaker: Dekker Dreyer, We Are Indie Horror
- "Echosyntheic Interview with Dekker Dreyer". Archived from the original on 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Al Ravenna Nightmare Film Festival arriva anche Fabio Testi". RavennaToday. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Ain't It Cool News
- AMC's Sci-Fi Scanner Archived 2009-02-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Transmitter Seeks New Readers Sci-Fi wire
- "Le Marché du Film". www.marchedufilm.com. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "The Industry". theindustry.com. Archived from the original on 2018-09-02. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Slamdance Jury Reveal, Variety
- "Slamdance to expand DIG showcase". Screen. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Slamdance (2018-08-31). "The Revolution in Media is Already Here". Slamdance Fearless Filmmaking. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Gera, Emily; Gera, Emily (2019-01-28). "After 'Super Columbine Massacre RPG!': The Rebirth of The Slamdance Guerrilla Game Competition (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2019-02-06.
- "Anime After Dark launches in Somerville - Cinema Treasures". cinematreasures.org. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Ryce, Walter. "Anime After Dark Film Festival reveals the depth and versatility of the genre". Monterey County Weekly. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "CPAC Guest Appearances". web.stevens.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Carson, René (2008-09-08). "Grave of the Fireflies getting 20th anniversary screening at Anime After Dark fest". Film Fetish | Crush Collectibles. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Chambers, Jim. "Review Tea Goddess by Dekker Dreyer". Red Adept. Retrieved 7 April 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Tea Goddess Review". Midwest Book Review. Retrieved October 2010. Check date values in:
- Review of Tea Goddess, Misty Baker, Kindel Obsessed
- Hart, Hugh (6 July 2010). "Mondo Atomic Mashes Plan 9 and Brain That Wouldn't Die". Wired. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- Experiment 87a, LA Taco
- Art from the Mr. Show, Show is Fantastic, Weird, Nerdist
- THQ Matches Donations Raised by We Heart Japan's Meltdown Comics Event - IGN, retrieved 2019-07-17
- The Evangelicals you Don't Know by Tom Krattenmaker pg. 194
- What World AIDS Days Means to Me, The Advocate
- Abadsidis, Savas (2019-07-26). "The Seven Deadly Sins Re-Imagined for Today". #GAYNRD. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Shark Attack Victims Get Free Sushi in New Smyrna Beach Fl, Huffington Post
- WTF Attacked by a Shark and Get Free Sushi, OC Weekly
- Florida Restaurant to Give Free Sushi to Shark Attack Victims, Food Beast
- Misaktonic Monday, Diesel Punks
- Move the Crowd, Huffington Post
- 24 of our Favorite Events in Los Angeles, LAist Archived 2017-11-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Grapevines: Ah, The Delicious Taste of Tentacle Rape. Kotaku
- Alex Zalben.Tentacle Grape Soda, Hilarious or in Poor Taste? Archived 2009-02-16 at the Wayback Machine Nerve.com
- Horrifying Soft Drinks Around the World by Cezary Jan Strusiewicz, Cracked.com
- Mysteries: Is Tentacle Grape Real? Because their shipment dates aren't by Chris Walters, The Consumerist Archived 2009-05-28 at the Wayback Machine
- It's Real: Reader receives his Tentacle Grape by Chris Walters, The Consumerist.com
- "360 Talk Show 'The Future is Virtual' Coming to Facebook Live, AltspaceVR, and iTunes". VRFocus. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "地獄のデスマッチ DEATHMATCH IN HELL". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-09-02.